5 Filters

The Negative-Sum Economy

Greer takes a look at what actual wealth is, and the inverse concept (first put forward by Ruskin) of illth.

Lots of interesting ideas, very relevant to the moment we’re all in.

JMG’s first comment is interesting:

The coronavirus situation is a good example: according to the ritual theater of progress, the virus is supposed to succumb to the triumphant force of science, embodied in the sacred weapon of vaccination, and the official narrative is still clinging to that drama even though the virus isn’t going away and the side effects of the vaccines are racking up a bumper crop of death and sickness. As that paradox becomes harder to ignore, I expect a lot of people to wig out completely.

Nicely put, I thought. Witness the cognitive discomfort in folks on the other board when trying to consider the Jimmy Dore interview with Rob Malone, that Evvy_dense posted here.

That’s one of the reasons why I’m having nothing to do with these vaccines (at least not until there has been much more testing, or someone can persuade me rationally and respectfully that I’m making a dreadful mistake): it’s the magical thinking that’s invested in them, posing as science and rationality. It’s also the bogus morality, according to which the unvaccinated are “selfish”. (Even people I respect highly, including Craig Murray, have taken that view. Yet it doesn’t stand up to rational examination for a second.) The whole thing is a “drama”, indeed. (But I don’t count belief in the reality of the threat of COVID-19 as being part of the “drama”.)

3 Likes

The whole btl conversation between JM’s decorous friends and himself is worth wading through. Best to set up a split screen, to match up each of John’s replies with the appropriate interlocutor.

One of the best-organised civilised-conversation websites that I know. John has a touch. A butcher’s touch, that is. All the trolls, loons, etc. are weeded out before we see the remnant. I’m always grateful for his dedicated work in modding. A haven of grown-up good manners, reliably so!

1 Like

I haven’t checked the Leaky-crew’s responses, but I did get a certain malicious jag of schadenfreude when I noticed Tomski’s enthusiastic anticipation, and then thought of what Robert was obviously - on recent form - going to say in Jimmy’s interview. A substantial body of hard evidence from both of them. Not what the Deceived-Influencer gocos at the Hulk wanted to hear, I surmise. The para from JMG that you highlighted, P, wouldn’t sit too well either, if they ever see it. Oh dearie, dear! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :innocent:

1 Like

PP, have you derailed your own thread? :wink:

1 Like

Rats…

:wink:

TBH for almost all threads I don’t care that much. It’s only when we’re discussing the moderation protocols that I come over all fascist

Edit: feel free to flag this as off topic! I’ll send myself a stern message…