5 Filters

New Camera

More of the remains of a D-Day marshalling camp (possibly Canadian), in and around Telegraph Woods, there seem to have been some defensive structures too (I’ll try and find out what some of them were):

https://so18biglocal.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/HF01_Harefield-to-Telegraph_Woods.pdf

I’ve never seen cupola type things like this before, unfortunately it seems that the better preserved (and more correctly orientated), example has been completely overgrown:

Some of these things appear to have something very like an embouchure.

I’ve finally framed that panorama shot at Hatch Grange, very pleased:

You can see a slightly uneven tone though…I’ll have to work on that! The knack when doing hand-held panoramas is to track across at an even pace…

1 Like

Your pics, otoh, I luuurve. Keep going with those, old bro. :slight_smile:

1 Like

2 Likes

Should’ve posted these a while ago but was ashamed I’d miss-framed all the flight photos. My excuse being that using a screen is more difficult and less accurate (I find), than using a view-finder. Why don’t they make digi-cams with view-finders?

Parched today (07/08/2022):

1 Like

Very brown everywhere at the moment.

I really like the carved tree.

A few weeks back I attended a short retreat near Kingston and the angel, image below, was a new addition to the site. It was a dead ash tree until carved. The wings are from a different source.

291401315_1712351345805086_3488686730404991868_n

BTW I finished The Moses Legacy earlier on today. I wish I’d realised the chronology in the appendices was there before I had read the whole thing, it would have made the narrative way easier to track. I should pay attention to the Contents page. Interesting theories and the Petra part seems credible, as do the two Moseses but I’m not sure about the Book Of Jasher stuff.

1 Like

Great you’ve read it all (I haven’t), …there are some beautiful “stump” carvings in the Peak District near Buxton…the picture is really pretty…I’ve carved Yew myself (that is a much longer story), it’s a beautiful wood… I love the story of the “Staff of Moses” residing in a Brummy museum… Simcha Jacobovici’s work with James Cameron on Atlantis and the likely Genesis of the “Hebrews” as Atlantean refugees (of both place and culture), is remarkable, if you cut a pictogram of the ancient concentric-ringed port signature of the Atlantean culture (such designs seen to be present in more than one location in the N.Atlantic and Western Mediterranean), in half you produce the Menorah of Hebrew tradition…scholars of the “ancient” Egyptian culture and religious scholars have always wondered where the “Slaves” came from…

“To keep the flame alive!”?

1 Like

I’ve been to Chithurst (Theravadan), Buddhist Monastery in Petersfield…

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me about the Birmingham museum thing, I had meant to surf about for more info on that but got distracted.

In case you skipped that part Graham Phillips suggests that the burning bush was a datura and that consuming the fruit (thornapple, which is astringent ie it burns to eat it) caused Moses to hallucinate and gain access to a higher plain of knowledge. Adam and Eve likewise. It’s a great yarn.

It’s been a while since I visited Cittaviveka, probably about three years. Lovely spot.

1 Like

I’ve also heard that the “burning bush” was situated in a volcanic area, and that such things are not unknown, quote; "A British scientist is making two claims about Jewish history this Passover season that could surely spark discussion over the Seder meal.

Colin J. Humphreys of Cambridge University has concluded that science backs traditional beliefs that the Israelites’ exodus from Egypt was led by Moses pretty much the way the Bible and the Haggadah ritual tell it.

He also says that Mt. Sinai, where Scripture says Moses received God’s Law, is in Saudi Arabia, not Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula – thus moving a key site for Judaism into the nation where Islam was founded.

Humphreys’ approach is to read the Book of Exodus as literally as possible and search for scientific explanations of what is recorded.

The biblical account of the mountain’s shaking and emitting fire and smoke (Exodus 19:18) must mean that the holy mount was an active volcano, he said. He has carefully examined ancient and modern records to fix the site.

His candidate is Mt. Bedr in northwestern Saudi Arabia, because there were no volcanoes in what was later named the Sinai Peninsula. For different reasons, other scholars also have suggested that the Mt. Sinai of the Bible was in Arabia.

Humphreys also thinks that near Mt. Bedr, Moses experienced God’s call at the “burning bush.” He suggests that the phenomenon was caused by flammable natural gas or volcanic gas escaping from a small vent in the ground." https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2003-apr-12-me-religsinai12-story.html

Quote; "Suggestions have been made that the Dictamnus albus plant, found throughout northern Africa is a candidate for the burning bush. In the summer, the plant, also known as the “gas plant,” exudes a variety of volatile oils that can catch fire readily and may give the impression that the bush is burning. So was Moses witnessing the combustion of a mix of terpenes, flavonoids, coumarins and phenylpropanoids? An interesting hypothesis about the burning bush, but one that can be readily doused.

The plant’s volatile oils do not catch fire spontaneously, they need a source of ignition*. Moses is unlikely to have been walking around with flintstones looking for bushes to ignite. And when the vapours coming off the Dictamnus albus plant do ignite, the flash lasts just a few seconds. Had the flash managed to set the leaves on fire, the bush would certainly have been consumed. So if the Moses really did see a burning bush that was not consumed, well, maybe he was seeing things. At least that is the opinion of Benny Shanon, professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

Professor Shanon suggests that Moses may have been having a hallucinatory experience. And he bases that theory on his own fling with plants that can alter consciousness. It seems Shanon was once invited to a religious ceremony performed by natives of the Amazon where he had the opportunity to taste a potion made from the ayahuasca plant. Off he went on a hallucinogenic trip which he described as having spiritual connotations! It isn’t clear exactly what he meant by that, but clearly he liked the experience because he claims to have repeated it hundreds of times, even writing a book on the subject. If it happened to him, it could have happened to Moses, he suggests, perhaps somewhat tongue in cheek." https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/you-asked/there-scientific-explanation-behind-moses-and-burning-bush

*Nb."And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly. (Exod. 19:18)

According to the biblical record of the Exodus, the Hebrews spent eleven months and five days encamped at Mount Sinai. During the initial months of their stay, the mountain was associated with a frightening display of dense clouds, smoke, fire, thunder, lightning, earthquakes, the sound of a loud trumpet, and the voice of God. Multiple scriptures reference these phenomena, e.g., Exod. 19;16; 20:18; Deut. 4:11-12; and 5:23." https://ancientexodus.com/was-mount-sinai-a-volcano/

2 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: to this thread! And the pictures of course…

1 Like

Looks like some more rabbit holes for me to squeeze down, which I’m typing with relish.

Philips considers a few candidates for Mt Sinai but settles for the massif around Petra, the name I forget. This helps quite a lot of the rest of his story hang together better… various archaeological finds in the vicinity can be matched with biblical accounts (altar stones and the like).

Philips refers to many biblical sources, not just Exodus, but the Colin Humphreys approach may be sounder as it’s well known a lot of the books of the Bible are contradictory, mostly allegorical, or just plain nonsense. If you’re gonna big up your religion as the best of the lot some great stories about parting seas and much smiting of the Lord’s enemies makes great sense as a propaganda tool.

Sticking to one single source and ignoring the most preposterous bits, with no cross referencing, could work too. Is Exodus likely to be a single source really though, a mish mash of different verbal accounts synthesised, translated, retranslated etc?

There’s lessons here for modern story telling of course.

“contradictory, mostly allegorical, or just plain nonsense” Redacted and/or re-written more likely K…esp. that which is now sex-less parochialism… #Asherah companion of #Jehovah (look her up!).

In Britain Arianrhod and Kernunnos, in Egypt Nuith and Hadith*, on the Sub-Continent Parvati and Shiva… in no other way is it clearer that monotheisms are tools of oppression… #factsoflife

Nuith

*Nb. Like “Herne” the male deity persists within the monotheistic state…

Yes that’s probably a fairer summary, me and my sharp tongue.

The volcanic fumerole thing, btw, sounds very Delphic. I’ve ordered a copy of the Humphreys Exodus book for £3-something from a large online auctions site. Evil though it is.

Off to look up Asherah :slight_smile:

1 Like

My bad dears it’s Charles “Aud” Wingate…bleedin’ ingrate me!

This postage-stamp sized water-meadow is one of the special treats of the “mere” area (the line of hazels seen behind marks the boundary with the Ageas Bowl complex):

2 Likes

Lovely. I didn’t grasp the Wingate comment up above btw, but never mind.

I called him “Orde” in a previous post!

Gotcha. Funnily enough I think it is Orde, the Burma chap?

1 Like

Wingate - and the chindits.