5 Filters

Will V14dim1r turn up to BRICS summit?

I’ve been following regular stories in Daily Maverick (a reasonably trustworthy ZA publication but increasingly prone to Russophobia**) regarding whether a certain wanted war criminal might attend the BRICS summit later this year. Which South Africa is hosting. So too the preliminary meeting of foreign ministers this Thursday-Friday 1-2 June in Cape Town.

Sergei Lavrov (bless his nicotine-stained fingers and sharp suits) is on his way, shaking hands in Kenya last I heard. No way could he make it without a Rothmans on a longer multi-hour no smoking flight from further North :wink:

Briefly posted on this subject at ICC warrant: a BRICS member point-of-view

An update on the situation is outlined here. The reference to ‘gazetted’ refers to the Seff Effrican practice of publishing official decisions in the Government Gazette. (I am allowed to poke fun at the eckscent because I used to have it myself.)

The framing is interesting: Comrades, Arms, potential for conflict between local authorities (magistrates), and regional/national ones. The latter have the way better guns but there’s still plenty of time for unrest to spontaneously arise between now and then. I guess it depends on how many plates MI6 can keep spinning at the same time.

** To quote a think piece elsewhere on the site, scribed by some boy wonder with post-its in they thesaurus (former member of the ANC Marxist Tendency notwithstanding):

South Africa’s foreign policy ought to be able to recognise an illegal invasion by an authoritarian kleptocratic dictator and call it out.

Yep - then typically it’s axiomatic that any events precipitating ‘an illegal invasion’ remain unseeable.

The btls are a sorry sight - though the final comment gets it:

Isn’t it strange that USA is not a signatory of the ICC…
Infact, they coerced the ICC not to investigate the CIA war crimes which were identified by ICC…
Furthermore, the Bush administration had blackmailed many signatories of the ICC to sign bilateral agreements so as not to arrest any of their servicemen. USA actually threatened to withhold aid if they didn’t sign this agreement … Theres actually an Act in USA law, that allows them to forcefully extract any servicemen from ICC if they happened to be detained…
Ultimately, ICC has also been politicized

1 Like

… a very good point. I thought Daily Maverick restricted comments to people prepared to be ‘Insiders’ i.e. pay about £10 pcm so didn’t fish around BTL. They use CloudFlare to block Tor so it’s a better paywall than most media use.

1 Like