5 Filters

Why Russia turns a blind eye when Israel bombs Syria

1 Like

He didn’t really tell us ‘why’?

Russia afraid of Israeli drones being sold to Ukraine? That seems lame to me, as if the USA could not supply the drones…

The million plus Russian speakers in Israel? That’s more likely. Who knows, maybe they send a lot of money or trade back to Russia.

However, if you remember, when the Russians blamed the Israelis for the shoot down of the Russian plane (mentioned in article) all we heard was ‘that’s the last straw! Russia will never let Israel get away with that again!’

But apparently they did it again, used a Russian plane as a shield so they could go into Latakia and attack with no fear of Syrian response.

So, it simply doesn’t make sense, it’s a strangely dark situation, based upon what we’ve been told, and this article does not really enlighten the darkness.

3 Likes

There have been so many people asking this question, and prejudicing the answer with the implication that Russia would side with Israel if it came to full scale war, that it’s hard to make a judgement. Russia has to work extremely hard to maintain relationships with some countries for the sake of global peace, as it is the only country standing in the way of the Imperial drive to war, IMO.
But I’m sure that the Russian settlers in Israel and in the OPT, and in illegal outposts, have an effect on what Russia and Putin can actually do. I think the author is mistaken in saying that Russia stops Damascus retaliating, as is clear from what is reported here. Israel won’t risk an open attack for fear that an F16 will be downed by an S300 - which Russia HAS provided. I also think Moscow’s cooperation with and respect for Tehran goes much deeper than this…
We should also remember something. Who else retaliates against Israel for its war crimes? Even those who are gagging to do so cannot because Israel will retaliate to the slightest attack, like it does to Palestinian stones. What a bastard nation!

3 Likes

Here’s a coda to the above article, the latest from Pepe Escobar. Note the anti imperial optimism. Misplaced? I mean, if Iran ‘proved something’ in their response to the Suliemani assassination why is Syria and Iraq still occupied and Israel can attack with impunity Iranian forces in Syria, under the very nose of the Russian military base? It simply doesn’t ‘add up’ to me. How, exactly, has Suliemani been avenged, in terms of resistance, in the past two years? It seems to me, in Ukraine and eastern europe NATO has become even more belligerent and Israel attacks, with no international repercussion and barely any news, and the Saudis continue to pound Yemen. Maybe truth is in the long term trends and the details?

1 Like

Don’t forget Dmitry Orlov’s often underlined assertion that Russians consistently maintain dialogue and diplomatic contact even with their enemies; especially with their enemies. Because in a species so prone to war as hom sap, this is an often deeply distasteful, but essential, thing to do, to try to minimise actual wars; of whose dreadfulness the Russians have copious historical up-close experience.

Strikes me that they’ve managed an awkward balancing act in Syria, and have on several occasions kicked Netanyahu’s arse when he went scurrying to Moscow, to try to win advantage there over Syria; failing every time. I don’t imagine that Bennet is getting any better success, either.

Someone - don’t know that it was Dmitry, perhaps Vanessa Beeley - pointed out that the zionistanis are tacitly allowed to hit unimportant targets in Syria, on the understanding that if they try it on seriously, they WILL lose aircraft and personnel; and in the extreme, that Iran, Hezbollah and Syria will unleash devastating, quite possibly terminal, rocket barrages on zionistan itself, if they push things too far.

I think the zionistanis understand this, and are deeply peeved about it. But it’s a reality about which they can do nothing effective, especially now their one ‘friend’ and sponsor, the Anglozionist empire, is on its own terminal skids. It’s all part of the steady slide of the zionist entity in Palestine towards its own self-extinction. Can’t happen too soon, or to a more deserving crowd.

And notice that throughout all this the zionistanis’ nuclear dick-extensions are completely useless to them: just one use, and they get their own decisive taste of MAD - as they understand ever more clearly, it appears.

zionistan-in-Palestine has no future. The real future is Greater Palestine, incorporating all the Levanters there in a single state; hopefully an authentic democracy for ALL its inhabitants.

Russia decided to give aid to Syria for the cast-iron reason that if they didn’t destroy the ‘islamic’ - hah! - loony-mercenaries there, they’d soon be facing them in Russia proper. That steely calculation hasn’t changed, and Russia will continue with its geopolitically-essential balancing act. Meanwhile, the strategists in the Kremlin understand that zionistan is not a friend of Russia; not in the least the same way that Syria is now a real friend (which allows them two bases on the Mediterranean…)

2 Likes

And why are they ‘allowed’ to do this? Surely this ‘allowance’ is not a sign of strength on the part of Russia and Syria and Iran, it’s a sign of weakness. Since when is being attacked at will a sign of strength? Any historical examples?

Did you see my line about a balancing act, E?

What would you do? Acting for Assad, shoot down every zionistani incursion? Acting for Putin, greenlight this, and give copious resupply of the Russian missiles to Syria? That would stir up the already very fraught tension between Russia and the Az empire, even above their current fairly desperate level, don’t you think, as Russia/China present ultimata to the Swamp over NATO and Ukraine; something we’re barely hearing about at the moment from the distraction/attention-steering game that is the Western PBB.

OTOH, Russia and - especially - China are good at the waiting game. They want the Levantine corridor between the Gulf states and Turkey/Europe to be securely part of their BRI plans. And as the Az empire goes down further and further (which is why Russia backed by China has decided that now is the time to issue its ultimata), that Levantine piece of the BRI jigsaw is falling gently into place. Just give it a bit more time. And meanwhile, make it clear to the zionistanis that the price of any chance at all of them remaining in Palestine with any sort of standing, as Russia/China/Iran usher in the profoundly changed security arrangements in SW Eurasia, is that they observe the red-lines they’ve been given quietly: Assad and government will, as they’ve been quietly spoken to, tolerate the zionistani dick-waving with their - entirely vulnerable - aircraft, as long as the dick-heads stay strictly within the unimportant-target limits set for them. And in return, Xi and Putin give whichever racist lunatic is acting as PM in zionistan the minimal assurance that they will not be annihilated by the weaponry of the Arc of Resistance, and some sort of accommodation, however drastically reduced, will be found for those zionistanis who want to remain in the Levant after the zionist lunacy has joined the SA apartheid lunacy in history’s rubbish bin.

And there’s the further longish-term balancing act of patiently coaxing the zionistanis to accept the hateful reality that they so don’t want, and eventually to give up their nuclear weapons without ever using them. A deeply ticklish job, but one that has to be undertaken, if the most raving loonies amongst the zionistanis are to be prevented from triggering Armageddon, rather than sobering up back into sanity, and facing and accepting an unwanted reality.

I’d say that that longish-term geostrategy is coming along nicely, despite the irritating provocations that the zio-fools indulge in, in their frustrated, helpless rage: None of their Yinon-plan hopes are working out. Syria is securely protected from the destruction plans of the Az. BRI is cooking steadily. The Western empire is failing, and with it the zionistanis’ only support system. I’d say the real skippers in this situation are insisting on ‘Steady as she goes’, despite all the petty irritations that are all the Swamp and zionistan can manage now. Time hasn’t been on their side; and it sureashell isn’t now.

There are a whole lot of jewish Russians still in Russia, and a whole lot more in zionistan-in-Palestine. Kremlin calculations have to take account of their deepest feelings, and eventually bring them into compliance with the changing geostrategic realities. It’s a tricky course, but if anyone can steer it, I’d say it would be two outstanding realpolitikers like Putin and Xi, and their factions within the Sino-Russian ruling power structures. As the bastard Churchill said: politics is a filthy business…

1 Like

More information on the intricacies of Russian/zionistani relations, regarding Syria: