5 Filters

When cancel culture comes unstuck

Jordan Peterson, love him, hate him, or maybe you’ve never heard of him?

Well an attempt by the Ontario College of Psychologists are reviewing his licence. His crimes in his own words were:
I retweeted a comment made by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre about the unnecessary severity of the COVID lockdowns;

• I criticized Prime Minister Justin Trudeau;

• I criticized Justin Trudeau’s former chief of staff, Gerald Butts;

• I criticized an Ottawa city councillor; and

• I made a joke about the prime minister of New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern

Except when the College of Psychologists took on a man with 3.7 million and an enormous following on YouTube, fireworks should have been expected.

3 Likes

I’ve often wished someone would shut Peterson up - but not his professional association, who mainly seem irked that he is criticizing the government’s pushing of expermiental gene products on the populace.
The Canadian medical hierarchy has pursued compliance to tyrannical levels. Peterson has a massive following - hopefully they have picked too big a fish this time. It’s time cancel culture experienced a bit of its own medicine.

3 Likes

I don’t have a list of people likely to back down when they’ve been riled. But if I did, Jordan Peterson would surely not appear in the first dozen pages, and good for him. Often a gobshite, true, but that’s his prerogative just as it is mine. I hope this proves to be a turning point but unfortunately there are plenty of easier targets to aim at in the War Of Elite Overproduction.

Short summary of WOEO:

Too many people are chasing too few cushy jobs in academia, NGOs, and the like.

Wokeness is a protection racket.

Cancelling people who dare to show a PowerPoint slide of the prophet Mohamed, for example, helps to weed a few out. This makes it a bit less intensely competitive for the blue-haired ones. Similarly, if you can claim membership of several oppressed groups you’ve got good scamming points and the right to be upset by just about everything.

In academia, for example, the competition for top-shelf studentships, lecturer posts, fellowships, etc, is fiercest in the most prestigious institutions and therefore the War is most intense there. But it surfaces in would-be elite institutions too, even those doomed to be second-rate forever because falling too far down the Woke league table is to risk going belly-up. Or at least your Protection Money has to be steeply increased to try and make up for lost ground.

Credit to Peter Turchin for the overproduction metaphor. And if I’ve inadvertently plagiarised any of his other arguments that just proves what a smart cookie he is :wink:

1 Like