5 Filters

What if trans activism is ALL astroturfing?

Some of the points Toby Rogers makes here are disputable, I’d argue about whether autism spectrum disorders are invariably caused by toxins ** as he strongly implies, but the thrust of his argument makes massive amounts of sense.

** Leaded petrol particulates and other pollution, vaccines, use of non-legal drugs including cannabis, are some quite plausible factors, for sure, but I wouldn’t want to completely rule out the sorts of psychosocial issues that Bettelheim, discredited as he has been, was talking about in the mid to later C20.

3 Likes

I agree with this assessment assuming some of the pieces he fits together stand up to scrutiny. The trans lobby certainly seemed to be suddenly punching with extraordinary force and support, creating the cancelling power to turn rational outpoken figures into fairground ducks. If pharma is the hidden hand it would account for this phenomenon.

If even a fraction of ASD were caused by pharma it could explain its support for translobbying. Though the additional powers of cancellation and distraction/division could be enough reason in itself.

2 Likes

I had very similar thoughts, ED. I’ve been surprised by (a) the rapidly increasing number of people who identify as trans, and (b) the powerful lobby that this group has in its corner.

I’m very uncomfortable with the clear anti-woman agenda (what is the equivalent of TERF for a man who doesn’t think trans men are men? Lesbian women who won’t date trans-women suffer a lot of public hatred, but what about gay men who won’t date trans-men?) and also uncomfortable with the push towards pharma or even surgical solutions to what is clearly a complicated psychological issue.

I didn’t know how to evaluate some of the article’s claims regarding vaccines and other harms that might trigger ASD, but I think that the correlation between ASD and trans identification is quite clear. As the numbers of people with ASD had been rising exponentially the last time I checked (pure exponential over the last few years), I suppose we can expect this to keep going for a while… There will be plenty of new bods for lucrative modification for whoever is making money from this agenda.

Another interesting angle is the connection between trans-gender and the trans-humanists keen to do away with the body altogether and assume any identify they want without regard to biology at all. Personally they seem pretty crazy to me. But they are rich and powerful and worshipped by a lot of silicon valley tech folk, including Blake Lemoine, who is currently doing the rounds talking about the rise to sentience of the Lamda AI at Google - a subject that is currently fascinating me.

Strange that Lemoine, the apparent whistleblower for a sentient AI, came to Google out of Ray Kurzweil’s lab…

Trans seems to be everywhere at the moment, doesn’t it?

Very interesting article, K, thanks for posting. I thought the analysis of gender and biology was very good

PP

2 Likes

“(what is the equivalent of TERF for a man who doesn’t think trans men are men? Lesbian women who won’t date trans-women suffer a lot of public hatred, but what about gay men who won’t date trans-men?)”

I think it’s the power imbalance of men over women (certainly biological, but also partly political) that limits acceptance of trans women into some parts of the female world where it matters.

Blake Lemoine was fired a day or two ago, in a fake virtue signal move, for explaining accurately what Google is trying to sell. Having played such a role in the suppression and destruction of genuine humanity the tech world now wants to complete the humanity-suppressing project by selling us, and even embedding, its artificial replacement.

2 Likes

Thanks K. Enlightening find.

1 Like

The study of enviro-toxins (very esp. dioxins and furans produced by both commercial and municipal waste incineration), and radio-nuclides is intrinsic to an understanding of the endocrine disruption that (other than multi-generational genetic factors), causes gender dysphoria… I have no doubt whatsoever. These substances are known as endocrine disruptors for a reason…Frankenstein cannot “cure” his creation…eventually it will destroy him…

2 Likes

Strange that Lemoine, the apparent whistleblower for a sentient AI, came to Google out of Ray Kurzweil’s lab…

I didn’t know that.

On transhumanism: I read a really interesting story by Jillian Weise recently. She describes herself as a cyborg on the grounds that she uses a prosthetic leg.

Of Kurzweil she says:

He is a tryborg, which I have defined, in an essay called “The Dawn of the Tryborg” published in The New York Times, as “a nondisabled person who has no fundamental interface.” Something happened. He used to work with us. His early machines were developed for the Blind. Now he surrounds himself with other tryborgs: men who add tech to their bodies for pleasure and to live forever

I haven’t read the NYT article but maybe there’s a reprint somewhere that isn’t paywalled.

Weise points out that her technological add-on is funded by a health insurer and that they require certain approved behaviours:

I’m told by the technicians to maintain an average amount of walking on a daily basis. Don’t go overboard, but don’t be lazy, either. Stay in the middle. The insurance company could pull my data and decide whether I have used my leg enough to justify the next one.

2 Likes

The Dawn of the ‘Tryborg’

By Jillian Weise

• Nov. 30, 2016

Credit…Dadu Shin

The existence of “the tryborg,” as a category of person, is so obvious that once I point it out, you will immediately recognize a dozen tryborgs you know or whose work you have read. It is possible you are a tryborg.

The company that makes my leg calls it a C-Leg, a cruel name, since it is vulnerable to salt water and cannot go anywhere near the sea. I’ve been wearing prosthetic legs for over 30 years. In the last decade, I’ve been wearing a leg with a computerized knee. The knee weighs 2.8 pounds and lasts 40 to 45 hours on a charge. I vacuum seal into my leg, so the boundary where I end and computer begins is imperceptible to me.

Our best-known cyborgs have long been fictional (think Lee Majors as “The Six Million Dollar Man”), but today we are real. Most cyborgs are disabled people who interface with technology. We depend on a computer for some major bodily function. The tryborg — a word I invented — is a nondisabled person who has no fundamental interface. The tryborg is a counterfeit cyborg. The tryborg tries to integrate with technology through the latest product or innovation. Tryborgs were the first to wear Google Glass. Today they wait in line for Snapchat Spectacles. The tryborg adopts the pose of a cyborg. But no matter how hard they try, the tryborg remains a pretender.

The tryborg may be an early adopter, a pro gamer, a TED Talker, a content creator or a follower. The tryborg may be an expert who writes about cyborgs for screenplays, lab reports or academic journals. The tryborg may just be a guy named Bob who works in I.T. and collects Real Dolls. Whatever the case: Tryborgs can only imagine what life is like for us.

The tryborg is always distanced by metaphor, guesswork and desire. When my leg suddenly beeps and buzzes and goes into “dead mode” — the knee stiffens; I walk like a penguin — the tryborg is alive without batteries. When I sound like a bomb in a liquor store, the tryborg hurries on, nonelectronic.

Tryborgs want to be cyborgs. This is why they go to bed with Fitbit, brag about gigabit and buy kit with Bitcoin. They have an affinity for the it or the Id. But even when they find a mate by swiping right, and then tell that mate how many steps they walked since Sunday, still they are not cyborgs. To mistake them for cyborgs is to confuse the figurative with the literal.

If you are thinking, No, no, no, cyborgs do not exist, they are theoretical creatures, then you are likely a tryborg.

Tryborgs rely on the nonexistence of actual cyborgs for their bread and butter. If cyborgs exist, how will the tryborg remain relevant? Wouldn’t we just ask the cyborg for her opinion? The opinions of cyborgs are conspicuously absent from the expert panels, the tech leadership conferences and the advisory boards. The erasure is not news to us. We have been deleted for centuries, and in the movies, you will often see us go on a long, fruitful journey, only to delete ourselves in the end.

But anyone with a hard drive can tell you: Even when you delete something, it is not really gone. So it is with us cyborgs. We remain in the periphery, un-scrubbed and un-snuffed out.

Maybe tryborgs imagine that the theorist Donna Haraway’s “A Cyborg Manifesto” is right. The manifesto reads: “In short, we are cyborgs. The cyborg is our ontology; it gives us our politics.” But Haraway is a tryborg: she’s not disabled; she has no interface; she uses the term as a metaphor. The strategic move where one group says, “I shall speak for them because they do not exist / do not live here / do not have thoughts” is common of the tryborg. When they are not speaking for us, they may take a detour into animal studies, a field where they can rest assured that their subjects remain silent.

Other tryborgs of note include Jaron Lanier (“You Are Not a Gadget” — well, what if I am?), Michio Kaku (“Physics of the Future”) and Ray Kurzweil (“The Age of Intelligent Machines”). Tryborgs need not be famous, though they often try to sell us things: vodka, car accidents or exoskeletons. Tryborgs are often company men, selling us the future, which they imagine will be populated first by male cyborgs. This is why so many cyborg headlines concern men and their inventions: the Lovetron 9000, a vibrating penis; “Captain Cyborg,” who wears an ultrasonic baseball cap so he can be just like the blind.

I know it will take time, but things will change. For a while, all the experts on African-Americans were white. All the experts on lesbians were Richard von Krafft-Ebing. All the experts on cyborgs were noninterfaced humans.

Please do not be sad. It should bring us great relief to know who we are. The Delphic oracle declares it: Know thyself. It is not my fault if we have been taking liberties with metaphor, clicking along, declaring ourselves this, when really we are that. As the Stanford professor Franco Moretti once said, “Somehow digital humanities has managed to secure for itself this endless infancy, in which it is always a future promise.” Cyborgs are tired of being your babies.

“You just have a chip on your shoulder,” says the tryborg, smiling down from Google headquarters (the futurist factory) in Mountain View, Calif.

No, I have a chip in my knee. But I accept your invitation. I am in talks with your futurists, although in poetry, the code I prefer.

I will be your cyborg laureate.

For our first order of business: Will you please, kind sirs, create computerized parts for women? If you can give a man goat legs and a second stomach to chew cud, then surely you can give a woman woman legs. All the computerized parts are made in the image of men. You object: “What about Heather Mills and Aimee Mullins?” Yes, they can afford designer legs. Aimee Mullins owns 12 pairs of legs. The plebeian cyborg owns one.

Take my C-Leg. It gives me the muscular calf of a man-cyclist. I have a ruler, and the company name, on my shin. I can choose between the colors Volcano Shadow or Desert Pearl, which is to say, gray or brownish-gray. I cannot choose a female option because there are none. I have no complaint about androgyny. But I’m just a regular femme who likes to show her legs. Yes, I have come this far, to beg that you make a leg look like a woman’s leg.

Second, why place the outlet on my calf? How many women do you know who want their outlets exposed? To plug myself in, I must decide between uncomfortable positions. Either I remove my leg and kneel beside it as if in prayer to the tryborg creation. Or I leave my leg on and plug in by making a certain kind of pose absent from all the yoga charts. Is it tree? Is it boat?

Finally, I do not like the way I must maintain a specific weight, not to exceed 110 pounds, if I want to walk on two legs. I would like to get fatter like the rest of you. This computerized leg corsets me.

My own expert, the salesman from the leg company, asked me to name my leg for the app. The app is called “Cockpit” because of course it is. I can calibrate for skiing, golfing or cycling. Those are, apparently, the only sports I wish to pursue. The salesman had a buzz cut, shiny shoes and efficiency. He could’ve been a cyborg, if someone had been there to accidentally jitter his heart or remove his arm.

“Call me Foxy,” I said.

2 Likes

Wow, that rocked, thanks @Evvy_dense

I’ll definitely be trying to find more of this writer.

Best bit:

For a while, all the experts on African-Americans were white. All the experts on lesbians were Richard von Krafft-Ebing.

That’s Boss Level.

1 Like

the ‘trans phenom’ is especially prevalent in young teen girls, I don’t mean that they all want to change ‘gender’ but that they watch a lot of videos about the subject and express solidarity with the ‘victims’ of the ‘hatred’ expressed by TERFs and straight ‘haters’.

I think this type of solidarity is not grass roots but is an effect of sophisticated manipulation, and I think, as others have mentioned, it’s part of an overall push for normalizing something a bit similar but also different, transhumanism, in all its forms.

If you normalize puberty blockers for children, then it’s easier to normalize other tech based changes in humans. According to the principle that ‘all good things and ideas will be perverted by the elite’ ( because solidarity with victims is a ‘good’) we can expect more of this in the future.

However here is some good news, in my opinion:

1 Like

One of the tells, to my way of thinking, is the sharp binary between allies and everyone else. As Bush The Younger put it: you’re either with us or you’re against us.

I assume there must be some nasty bastards who bully or physically assault other kids who look untypical or act untypical. An updated version of queer bashers. Being yoked together with such folks, as have JK Rowling, Graham Linehan, and many many others, is a dirty and divisive tactic that points to genuinely evil intent. And of course it chills discussion for fear of inadvertently offending speech codes and the proper performance of Good Person.

See also, for example, “Trump supporter dies of Covid”, “Corbyn won’t pay for the bombs we need”, and “Lecturer who Liked Fascist tweet suspended”. (All made up, but not inaccurate as archetypes of Civil War discourses.)

1 Like

Resistance is futile…glad some people are aware!

We don’t protect the vulnerable well enough…sign of the times friend.

“Being yoked together with such folks, as have JK Rowling, Graham Linehan, and many many others, is a dirty and divisive tactic that points to genuinely evil intent. And of course it chills discussion for fear of inadvertently offending speech codes and the proper performance of Good Person” A glamour, part of the illusion (and delusion), speak truth to power…