5 Filters

Webinar: Saving Stonehenge World Heritage Site Thursday 7 June 7pm

"Dear Supporter,

On 23rd June, a legal challenge against the Government’s plans for the Stonehenge Tunnel will come to court. It is the last chance to stop massive and irreparable damage being done to the archaeology and landscape of Britain’s most iconic World Heritage Site. In the hope that you may be interested in learning more about this catastrophic scheme, and the on-going campaign to prevent it, we are inviting you to a free webinar on Thursday 3rd June at 7pm.

The event will be chaired by me, and feature two of the most distinguished opponents of the Stonehenge Tunnel:

Mike Parker Pearson, Professor of British Later Prehistory at the Institute of Archaeology, UCL

Phil Goodwin, Emeritus Professor and Senior Fellow of Transport Policy at UCL and the University of the West of England.

The booking link and details are in this link.

Attendance is free. That said, a substantial sum is still needed to fund the legal challenge by Save Stonehenge World Heritage Site Ltd, so all donations are hugely welcome.

The zoom link will be sent on the morning of the webinar.

Thank you for your generous support, and I look forward to seeing you at what I have no doubt will be a fascinating and eye-opening event.

With best wishes,

Tom Holland" https://www.change.org/p/save-stonehenge-world-heritage-site-to-the-secretary-of-state-for-transport-secretary-of-state-for-culture-media-sport-uk-government-save-stonehenge-world-heritage-site/u/29122103?cs_tk=Alg_VkkDgUYTB2wiuWAAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvLUEzjPjK02pOqBXKQT4xgA%3D&utm_campaign=353adb3636904de3a6b4d1c04f4e54c5&utm_content=initial_v0_5_0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs

1 Like

I wish them luck, and am a big fan of Mike Parker Pearson, but Stonehenge is irretrievably busted as a place worth seeing. Head to Avebury instead, or even better the marvels of Orkney.

Don’t forget the currently un-buggered Rollright.

1 Like

“irretrievably busted” I hope not, it just needs sensitive handling and respect (all round), tunnelling under our sacred sites never a good idea… "Tunnels can be dangerous, one imagines tunnels underwater especially so. Tunnels are not suitable as answers for transport management systems in “our” (“our” if you’re “British” that is), areas of significant ancient religious use (Hey a new acronym! A.S.A.R.U -Hmmm …areas of “SARU”-), which means in effect that in Britain, Brittany* (other parts of France and other N.W European countries), and Ireland, tunnelling (and quarrying), should be approached with the utmost care and with reference to authorities who understand the nature of the “S.A.R.U” of the area.

*“The History of Brittany
People probably lived in the region before 8000 BC. The first known, but unidentified peoples, built the great prehistoric megalithic monuments, known as menhirs and dolmens, that still stand. These were probably constructed between 3500 and 1800 BC, and are located near the town of Carnac and at other sites. When the Celts migrated here they, in all likelihood, intermingled with the prehistoric peoples, and built the region into a confederation of Cymric Celtic tribes.” Go to http://www.french-at-a-touch.com/French_Regions/Brittany/brittany_5.htm

Twyford Down

Twyford Down was just such a place (actually although it was “such a place” nothing that happened there was “just”).
Modern archaeologists (especially the social and agricultural historians amongst them), may have some understanding of what was lost at Twyford Down (and to be honest it still is a truly painful subject for me to talk about).
However… those who understand that the colonisation of the major landmass areas of these islands only ever took place once in humanity’s history* , should also understand that this “Rosy Cross” is a unique tabula rasa for agricultural scientists (because of its “quartered” nature), and as a result it’s history represents one of the most complete and easily assimilable works of applied “astrologomal”** science imaginable (or at least it did -never try and teach maths without also teaching spacial awareness-).
Why it now may not be is because of the rape of Twyford. You see, back when the ice sheets first began to retreat and people started to colonise these Islands on a large scale the south of Britain was ipso facto colonised first (given our current post “Flood” planetary orientation***). This meant that places such as The New Forest, Hengistbury Head, Twyford Down and others were the very first to be used as social, religious and agricultural centres. As such this of-course makes them our oldest archaeological “seed libraries”, without which; climate data, ecological relationships, social interactions, religion, biology and “astrologomy” cannot be studied .

*(Edit 12/07/10 at least in a modern “agricultural” sense -and I may be accused of something of the same myself given the slightly “ham-fisted” nature of this edit- as I am advised by the recent discovery of one million year old (approx.) flint tools belonging to Homo Antecessor in Britain. Go to http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/jul/07/first-humans-britain-stone-tools )

**(“Astrologomy”= astrology/astronomy, I’m convinced S.A.M -“Stone Aged Man”- would have laughed at the idea of “splitting the sky in two” either that or considered the notion very bad medicine indeed!)

***Further Reading ? ; James Vogh (aka John Sladek), “The Thirteenth Sign”, Peter Warlow “The Reversing Earth” also please visit Dr. Masaru Emoto at www.hado.net (water molecule cluster electron-microscopy the man is a genius).

The archaeology at Twyford was also unique for although not formal constructions “The Dongas” and other features at Twyford bore witness to thousands of years of agricutural use; Redirect Notice
The trackways, known as “dongas”, were formed by the constant passage of humans, animals and carts over thousands of years.
The other more spectacular and well defined examples at Twyford are gone now forever.

• You will note that the historian refers to the dongas at Twyford as “Medieval” however this refers to the large scale usage of wheeled vehicles and horses on the site, infact the field systems and trackways far predated the medieval period.

Yes it is true that unmarked security staff were used to apply “passification” methods on the very brave “Dongas’ Tribe” whose hearts (like those of many of us), were broken by this thoughtless, brutal, xenophobic and needless desecration of not only our land but our brave nascent community as-well. Yes it is true that construction staff were told to discard any ancient relics they might find and yes there still is a golf-course on the other-side of the fence atop what remains of our beautiful downland. I’m told the county surveyor and others were/are members of the golf club.

http://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/images/pictures/02/57/northern-corner-of-hockley-golf-course-twyford-down-24990.jpg

Yes look a golf-course another ancient monument we should be pleased to keep for the next ten thousand years!

Tunnels can be dangerous, one imagines tunnels underwater especially so. Tunnels are not suitable as answers for transport management systems in “our” (“our” if you’re “British” that is), areas of significant ancient religious use (Hey a new acronym! A.S.A.R.U -Hmmm …areas of “SARU”-), which means in effect that in Britain, Brittany* (other parts of France and other N.W European countries), and Ireland, tunnelling (and quarrying), should be approached with the utmost care and with reference to authorities who understand the nature of the “S.A.R.U” of the area.

*“The History of Brittany
People probably lived in the region before 8000 BC. The first known, but unidentified peoples, built the great prehistoric megalithic monuments, known as menhirs and dolmens, that still stand. These were probably constructed between 3500 and 1800 BC, and are located near the town of Carnac and at other sites. When the Celts migrated here they, in all likelihood, intermingled with the prehistoric peoples, and built the region into a confederation of Cymric Celtic tribes.” Go to http://www.french-at-a-touch.com/French_Regions/Brittany/brittany_5.htm

Twyford Down

Twyford Down was just such a place (actually although it was “such a place” nothing that happened there was “just”).
Modern archaeologists (especially the social and agricultural historians amongst them), may have some understanding of what was lost at Twyford Down (and to be honest it still is a truly painful subject for me to talk about).
However… those who understand that the colonisation of the major landmass areas of these islands only ever took place once in humanity’s history* , should also understand that this “Rosy Cross” is a unique tabula rasa for agricultural scientists (because of its “quartered” nature), and as a result it’s history represents one of the most complete and easily assimilable works of applied “astrologomal”** science imaginable (or at least it did -never try and teach maths without also teaching spacial awareness-).
Why it now may not be is because of the rape of Twyford. You see, back when the ice sheets first began to retreat and people started to colonise these Islands on a large scale the south of Britain was ipso facto colonised first (given our current post “Flood” planetary orientation***). This meant that places such as The New Forest, Hengistbury Head, Twyford Down and others were the very first to be used as social, religious and agricultural centres. As such this of-course makes them our oldest archaeological “seed libraries”, without which; climate data, ecological relationships, social interactions, religion, biology and “astrologomy” cannot be studied .

*(Edit 12/07/10 at least in a modern “agricultural” sense -and I may be accused of something of the same myself given the slightly “ham-fisted” nature of this edit- as I am advised by the recent discovery of one million year old (approx.) flint tools belonging to Homo Antecessor in Britain. Go to http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/jul/07/first-humans-britain-stone-tools )

**(“Astrologomy”= astrology/astronomy, I’m convinced S.A.M -“Stone Aged Man”- would have laughed at the idea of “splitting the sky in two” either that or considered the notion very bad medicine indeed!)

***Further Reading ? ; James Vogh (aka John Sladek), “The Thirteenth Sign”, Peter Warlow “The Reversing Earth” also please visit Dr. Masaru Emoto at www.hado.net (water molecule cluster electron-microscopy the man is a genius).

The archaeology at Twyford was also unique for although not formal constructions “The Dongas” and other features at Twyford bore witness to thousands of years of agricutural use; Redirect Notice
The trackways, known as “dongas”, were formed by the constant passage of humans, animals and carts over thousands of years.
The other more spectacular and well defined examples at Twyford are gone now forever.

• You will note that the historian refers to the dongas at Twyford as “Medieval” however this refers to the large scale usage of wheeled vehicles and horses on the site, infact the field systems and trackways far predated the medieval period.

Yes it is true that unmarked security staff were used to apply “passification” methods on the very brave “Dongas’ Tribe” whose hearts (like those of many of us), were broken by this thoughtless, brutal, xenophobic and needless desecration of not only our land but our brave nascent community as-well. Yes it is true that construction staff were told to discard any ancient relics they might find and yes there still is a golf-course on the other-side of the fence atop what remains of our beautiful downland. I’m told the county surveyor and others were/are members of the golf club.

http://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/images/pictures/02/57/northern-corner-of-hockley-golf-course-twyford-down-24990.jpg

Yes look a golf-course another ancient monument we should be pleased to keep for the next ten thousand years!

Twyford Down

"…The morning after the festival a disparate group of no more than twenty or so people sat atop one of the most unique pieces of down-land anywhere; the previous night and all the preceding day we had been engaged in music, dance and song, the sun had blazed back off the exposed chalk and flint sculptures, the wind and glare spanking our cheeks into an ancient blush.
Fire had blazed amid, the dance itself…

…and that morning we sat,
At first unsure then; “We are upon the ocean surely?”
Islands in a sea of rolling white and vestigial grey, islands,
The heat grew first, I swear a hand upon my shoulder; “He comes, The Sun King comes!”
Arms out-stretched to the stars he comes,
Heat a lick upon the face, the whisper to the heart, he comes,
Burning the moisture from the air he comes;
“My blood, my Earth gone from me now, torn out!”
From The East…from the east…" G.Hales"

Oh there’s plenty of wonderful sites, not least in Wales, Cumbria, Dartmoor, even one or two in Kent.

Kent indeed? Links? My mind was totally blown when my father moved into the Brecon Beacon National Pk./Sacred Landscape…gave me the opportunity to study sites on my own and throughout the seasons… re: tunnelling… https://www.arafel.co.uk/2013/12/blog-post.html

Apologies if the photo is misleading: the image I posted is the Rollright Stones, Oxfordshire.

My favourite site in Kent is Coldrum and the link below is a site that documents just about all of them in UK and many others, including Britanny and well beyond the Celtic fringe

Julian Cope’s site is fabulous too

https://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/326/chestnuts.html

… But sometimes the notes/directions are very dated or not that accurate to begin with. When I visited The Chestnuts I was treated to a free demonstration of dowsing. Mind blown.

1 Like

I used to live half a mile from Presaddfed, by LLyn LLywenan, on Ynys Mon. Still haunted by the place. Lots of others all over Mon too.

“In that slight, sea-girt land
The gait of ancient tides walks in the standing stones
And whispers in wind’s persiflage to stands of softly clashing reeds,
Ankled in shallow tarns,
Speaking down stems
To mud and frail remains of ancient ancestors who stood
When first the standing stones were stood.”

https://cadw.gov.wales/visit/places-to-visit/presaddfed-burial-chamber

2 Likes

Makes me think of getting our heads together to visit some (at some point)! Still working on, “accepting my reward!”…

1 Like