5 Filters

Vintage JMGreer essay - this week - on

Magic, and why it produces more straightforward miracles in some eras than in others. PLEASE keep your hand off the delete button for long enough to take a look! As usual with John Michael, this says something fundamentally insightful.

Note too, btw, the decorum of the btl discussion, and how productive it is for that reason.

And PS: I personally KNOW that miracles - or flamboyant, spectacular PK incidents, if you prefer - are real, because I’ve witnessed a few, directly. Deeply perturbing, but permanently transformative:

https://www.ecosophia.net/the-mask-of-disenchantment/

1 Like

PPS: As always with JM’s blogs, the btl people are high quality: no goons, no trolls, virtually fool-free (due to John’s ruthless pre-moderation), they are invariably civil, and their contributions are well worth the trouble, when you have an hour or so to spare… :slight_smile:

Fascinating stuff.

He’s wrong about Dune, though. (I loved that film, but wasn’t too keen on the book, as I remember.) :slight_smile:

More seriously: he’s wrong about progress. I’ve tried to argue that point before (in TLN), and I might try again. For now, I just want to say, almost paradoxically, that he is right about this:

The prescriptive insistence on the disenchantment of the world is an important aspect of the dogma of progress-worship in our time, which is why it remains bolted in place in the mainstream of contemporary thought […].

I want to discuss that at length some time, but I’m not up to it now. (Chorus: “Whew!”)

I’ve been hoping you’d post more about this kind of thing, but I wasn’t sure how much you had already done so in MLMB (or even TLN, which I didn’t always follow closely). Also, I’m afraid of indulging my obsessions, and distracting from the political focus of what is still quite a small forum.

(I’d better get on with reading the article. I’ve only just started, but wanted to give these reactions quickly, because it’s bedtime and I’m tired and I might forget.)

Have all the archives of The Archdruid Report just disappeared into the aether? That’s a bit of a shock. (I hadn’t visited since 2015.) The blog posts themselves are available, in both printed and e-book form, but what about all those careful comments?

You reckon PROGRESSFOREVER! is a real possibility, Twirl? I reckon that people like JMG, Jim Kunstler and other weighty commentators are dead right, that it hasn’t a hope in hell, and that our real future track - already begun - is what Greer calls ‘the Long Descent’ and JHK calls ‘the Long Emergency’: our already baked-in future. Interested to hear what you think…

John’s premier essay on the subject here:

https://www.ecoshock.org/transcripts/greer_on_collapse.pdf