5 Filters

Vaccine exemptions: (certain) Buddhists weigh in

The following article from ‘Tricycle’ surprises me not one bit. This publication is very squarely in the ‘California Zen’ tradition, as I call it. (I think Foucault got there first, in his later days of acid trips and bath house adventuring).

By this I mean the tendency to find American Buddhists in leafy neighbourhoods, where they have abundant detached houses with at least one room set aside for soft furnishings, thangkas featuring Manjushri, salt lamps and Bang & Olofson stereos to om along to. Self-righteous, my body is my temple types.

A short postscript to illustrate that, alas, California Zen is very pervasive. Several months ago, possibly last year, I attended a Zoom talk featuring Bhikkhu Bodhi. He’s a big deal in the Theravada world because of his awesome scholarship. Several of the authoritative volumes of Pali Discourses were translated by him.

The talk was okay… right up until he started to wax political about the deluded souls who argue against the wisdom of Dr Anthony Fauci. He was very careful to drop the name in this Full Name And Title awed respect mode.

Gullible fool.

2 Likes

Can’t think of a single big-machine mass-religion that’s been anything but a crass sellout of the original visionaries’ insights. What would Gotama say? Transcendental information brought back to us all by gifted souls turns into just another WealthPowerStatus machine in the hands of the inheritors, Jesus-to-Saul-of-Tarsus style. DIY spirituality is the obvious best way. Shamanism has always been, more or less completely, such an endeavour. Each shaman/ka gets direct personal transcendental experience every time the go journeying with the drum…

1 Like

Can’t remember how it was thus said but, to paraphrase, do not believe anything I tell you, go and find it out for yourself.

1 Like

Exactly! Crucial rule.

Who all use WiFi devices to talk to their novices? #Weinswein #LoS (the problem of making a silk-purse out of a sow’s ear)