5 Filters

US bombing Syria

I felt sick when I heard about it last night. Even knowing that this is what the Democrats do, and what I suspected from Biden, it’s still heartbreaking when it happens.

For US voters it’s a case of damned if they do, damned if they don’t. Which would be their business except that they drag the whole world into it.

2 Likes

Yep thanks for posting this reminder Jackie.
Different Dem line when it was Trump doing the bombing
VP Harris, Biden’s Press Secretary Slammed as Hypocrites for Tweets on Trump’s Syria Airstrikes

Though to be honest, I’m not sure if the new POTUS can order a hamburger let alone a bombing :confused:

" Middle East experts said the military endeavor may have also been meant to establish the administration’s firm stance as it attempts to restart talks about the 2015 international nuclear deal that was abandoned by the Trump administration.

“The strike, the way I see it, was meant to set the tone with Tehran and dent its inflated confidence ahead of negotiations,” Bilal Saab, a former Pentagon official who is currently a senior fellow with the Middle East Institute, told the Washington Post. “You don’t want to enter into potential talks with Iran on any issue with a bruise to your face from the Irbil attacks.”"

Just like 2001, if someone attacks Americans the military bomb whoever suits them best at the time.
As antiwar.com’s Dave DeCamp puts it,

“Considering the US has been bombing Iraq for 30 years now, there are many groups inside Iraq that have their own reasons to fire on the US. There are also groups like ISIS that would benefit from a war between the US and Iraq’s Shia militias.”

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s just so depressing isn’t it…

Exactly right. There is no sane choice in America. Things can’t stay the same, and there is no voice for change.

And while they go back and forth we all suffer as a planet.

What a mess.

I thought these two tweets by Greenwald were spot on

1 Like

CNN expert analysis

1 Like

Yeah, sigh. NPW is a Guardian regular, on Russia - probably used to be others, in the ‘Iraq’ noughties. I remember him as one of the ignoribles (they all are these days).

It was the wrong type of murderous military aggression. See, I’m a critic!

1 Like

Yeah, aerial bombing is a scalpel. The masks are off, the gloves are off, might is right.

1 Like