5 Filters

Uptick in mortality among younger males

Jamie, yes, I was alluding to the Bromley mob, and also the Dartford/Bexley mob (Jagger and Richards, principally).

I can’t really include Siouxsie and the Banshees in my forthcoming post, because I’m only highlighting acts that had a debut single on a record label in 1977. Siouxsie & Co did sort of have a debut single in late 1977 called ‘Metal Postcard’, but it was on a tv show, not from a record label.

Siouxsie & Co didn’t start coming into their own until 1978.

Gawd, 1978: do you remember that?!

1 Like

Karen, I don’t know much about rap music. I liked the track you’ve embedded here. I would venture that good rap is essentially spoken poetry set to music (?).

The years were 77/78, of course, doh.

Yup @RobG rap is often very much like poetry and one of the very earliest acts (way before Grandmaster Flash, and The Clash for that matter) was The Last Poets. This “conscious” (dare I say “woke”?) form is often quite strongly influenced by Islam and viewed as a definite threat by The Man.

One possible reason why:

1 Like

I do. I had quite a few punk mates even though I was more into the psychobilly and rockabilly scene. That said, there was certainly a crossover. (Believe it or not, I even had a mate that described himself as a modabilly!) ‘78 was the year I got my first skateboard, though it was quickly replaced for a ‘proper’ one, which I still have to this day. Old school!