5 Filters

TW: may harm people prone to pretending to be offended

A concise update on where things are at with the passage of the Online Safety Bill in UK.

tl;dr: People critical of the State will easily be framed as purveyors of undefined harms, regardless of intent, by producing one or more traumatized “victims”.

2 Likes

Another horrendous one that they’re pushing through.

If this becomes law just about all of us here will meet each other in a detention camp.

1 Like

If they believe in their bill, then following enactment, they’ll have to lock themselves up of course.

This sort of shit could only happen in a society where for the last ten years or more, they’ve been actively encouraging a culture of empowerment through victimhood (which of course in no empowerment); people will accept it because they’ll relate to it.

1 Like

I think that’s the nub of it, yes, @Jamie. The enormous popularity of taking offence amongst a small but very shrill section of the bourgeoise is based on demonstrable results. (The people prone to pretending, etc)

Whatever his many faults, the demonisation of Corbyn was the absolute Proof Of Concept here in UK. (As Pompeo sneeringly told us would happen.) Framing an innocuous social justice warrior as a deranged Stalinist and antisemite was very easy, orchestrate some headlines, whip up the blue tick twitterati, get in some low blows by the totty off Countdown to lasso the home-for-tea bored male pensioners.

The dearth of elite professional roles (in academia particularly) makes for vicious competition and much jubilation when a “racist” is toppled. Because ones clear track record counts for nothing if one does not signal AntiRacism, loudly, repeatedly. Not joining in the dogpile is liable to attract opprobrium. Not attending the tiresome training sessions. Not wearing a face mask. Not being born to the right parents.

I’m ranting here, but how much clearer does this need to be???

2 Likes

Meanwhile, people who have suffered real psychological harm are deemed to be “ill”, not injured, and are further damaged, and made really ill, by psychiatrists (the most successful bunch of scam artists ever, bar none), and subjected to further harm by “therapists” (who have even more brass nerve than psychiatrists, but don’t succeed in doing nearly so much harm).

I know, I know, nobody cares, nobody believes it, and it has nothing to do with politics - except of course it has absolutely everything to do with it (as would be blindingly obvious in a sane world).

I’ll get back in the teapot now. (Don’t worry, I’ll put the lid back on myself.)

5 Likes

No argument here.

1 Like

Shouldn’t that be “the rabid zionist totty off Countdown”, K?

1 Like

Hi folks, at the end of the day, like all laws that remove the rights of ordinary people, this law and its effects will never hit the headlines read by ordinary people. Most of the time even most lawyers have no concept of these changes! This will be just another law “for the greater good”! and that is all the people will see.

Perhaps we should try and vote in people like this:

cheers

2 Likes

You’re not wrong; I asked my doctor to sign a Gov. exemption form for my daughter because of potential anaphylaxis issues. He didn’t know there was such a thing.

Hi @Twirlip , GPs have I think a wider power - they cover a “prison population” of the whole nation and are largely obeyed. They have no difficulty blackmailing “patients” into adopting their views as they always follow the “greater good” principles as they push the latest drug with conviction. Last year I was told by one practice head - “don’t come crying to me when you end up in hospital because you didn’t take the flu jab” - I said I was quite happy increasing my vit. D levels. It now turns out that those with flu jabs were several times more vulnerable to Covid!

cheers

1 Like

I’d like to not argue with that too :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes