5 Filters

Tor Browser

Internet censorship in the West has become so bad over the last few years that I’ve finally decided to give the Tor Browser a go… For those unfamiliar, the Tor Browser is an open source project that gives you complete privacy on the internet (no one can track you). It also allows you to access web sites that have been blocked in your territory - although not all blocked web sites; you will still need a VPN for some.

I loaded Tor Browser onto a computer running Linux Mint 20 (all my computers now run on Linux). It was a bit problematic, to say the least, yet I got there in the end.

First impressions are how insidious censorship is - the old boiling frogs syndrome (particularly in France). I can now go to web sites that I used to take for granted, before they were all one by one censored by the psychopaths who rule us.

As a little experiment - because I’m still new to the Tor Browser - do the Mods on this board know what geographic region this post is coming from? Do they know who I am, beyond a board username and password? Do the cookies stick?

Again, this is a new one for me. I’ll report back in a week or so on how I’m getting on with the Tor Browser.

2 Likes

PressTV

presstv.com was seized zonks ago. Likewise, presstv.ir is not available from most countries in the West. If you want to know what those evil Iranians are saying, www.presstv.ir can still be accessed with a Tor browser.

Likewise with Russian and Chinese sites.

I’m so glad that our wonderful governments are keeping us safe from these evil people, and it’s because of these evil people that citizens in the West are starving and freezing to death.

2 Likes

@RobG . I have experimented with TOR and here are a few comments for what they’re worth.

a) Before being sure TOR give complete anonymity, try and find an interview with Edward Snowden (it’s a few years old) on the whole subject of Internet security. He expresses some reservations about TOR unless you really know what you are doing and follow some rules he talks about

b) For me, TOR and even other browsers that block trackers like Brave, make the web almost unusable. Some sites just block access completely and others let one go so far and then just hang.

It may be better on Linux than Kill Gate’s products, so let us know how you get on.

3 Likes

PatB, I’m a complete newbie to Tor, and will check out the Snowden link you suggest.

All I can say is, so far, running under a Linux OS, it seems to do what it says on the box. I may regret saying that later!

The internet in France used to be really free and open - liberté égalité fraternité, and all that. This really seemed to change when Macron came to power.