5 Filters

The weird and the eerie

To reply to you two…yes you are correct…, however, as (mainly), Anglo-Catholic* we’re used to being dissenters which means we don’t fear opprobrium, esp. from the “our sht don’t smell” protestant establishment (although Dad ended up a Mason -as I ended up a Hussite sympathiser and a Wiccan-), and that’s the game…we feel because we are allowed/enabled to…if one wears the establishment’s blinkers it is incumbent on one to look where one is going…

I had an NDE following copious blood-loss from a brachial artery at the age of fifteen (funny story about “the Arm” through the generations I will recount here, later though I’m a little pressed for time today), this might be of considerable interest to you Rob, quote; "The twenty-first century search for a scientific explanation of near-death experiences (NDEs) is likely to benefit from the rapidly growing knowledge base generated by neuroscientists and other researchers. To date, the most plausible theory has been outlined by Dr. Karl Jansen (1996). Conditions that may induce NDEs (low oxygen, low blood flow, low blood sugar, temporal lobe epilepsy, etc.) have also been shown to cause excess extracellular levels of glutamate to accumulate in the brain; when high concentrations of glutamate bind to N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors, excitotoxicity can result (Jansen, 1996). Jansen (1996) has proposed that an endogenous NMDA antagonist may be released under certain conditions to protect cells from excitotoxicity. An exogenous NMDA antagonist, ketamine, is known to be able to reproduce all of the features which are commonly associated with NDEs; thus, an endogenous NMDA antagonist with a primarily neuroprotective function may also induce NDEs under certain circumstances (Jansen, 1996).

Jansen (2004) has suggested that the identity of the endogenous NMDA antagonist may be NAAG (N-acetyl-aspartyl-glutamate), kynurenic acid, or magnesium. NAAG, however, has been shown to lack both antagonist and agonist activity in cerebellar granule neurons (Losi et al., 2004). If NAAG does interact with NMDA receptors, it is likely to be a weak partial agonist rather than an antagonist (Valivullah et al., 1994). In addition, kynurenic acid is an antagonist at the glycineB binding site on NMDA receptors rather than at a site within the NMDA channel pore (Harsing et al., 2001). Based on experiments involving rats, Karcz-Kubicha et al. (1999) have suggested that glycineB antagonists have a low psychotomimetic potential. With regards to magnesium ions, little evidence exists to support a role for these ions in near-death experiences.
To date, the only neurotransmitter or neuromodulator known to exhibit antagonist activity at NMDA receptors at a non-glycineB site is agmatine." Go to: https://www.arafel.co.uk/2015/08/agmatine-key-to-brain-chemistry-of-near.html

The Arm

*I deeply suspect also hougenaut on my Dad’s side (London catholics et.al), my great uncle William died in WW2 (Dunkirk), one of my father’s middle names was William (the other Robert #GWRHalesRIP), …but they were (ostensibly at least), “conventionally observing” (rather than practising), catholics…strange things happened here esp. after the Restoration…

1 Like

One thing I’ll say about wands et.al…when I was first practising (with “Convoy” people, students and others), it was considered incumbent on one to make as much of one’s “implementia” as possible (and people did, as did I -hence the “Green Dragon” actually-), …something I’ve continued with as much as is possible/practical, however (nb. not a testimonial), carefully selected and vetted supplies may also be utilised ie.: https://www.spiritofold.co.uk/ (other suppliers are available), …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtoIrUJIlY

Having cited Wild Talents in a previous thread make no mistake: I’m in sympathy with the thrust of what has been outlined here.

But let’s consider how one set of standards is being demanded by the Assembled Elders of 5filters when it comes to Covid-belief while quite another much more relaxed (“open-minded”) ideology pertains to pet theories!

One of Dean’s recurrent jokes when he relates this fact is that, if he’s addressing an audience of mainly lay people, his hit rate is about 95%; but if it’s an audience of scientists, the rate will be about 97.5%!

Fact?!!

Could this disparity show that scientists are that bit more susceptible to groupthink than lay people?!! Not to mention that the packed houses will have self-selected based on their interest in the topic! They would not have turned up in the first place, apart from a few James Randi acolytes perhaps, if there wasn’t a predisposition to find suppressed talents plausible! Once a critical mass of hands go up its well known many more will follow suit!

Still: statistics!

!!!

Another Charles Fort quote to conclude, this one from The Book Of The Damned which he prefaces by saying that it will consist of

A procession of the damned. By the damned, I mean the excluded. We shall have a procession of data that Science has excluded

.(One sad aspect of Fort’s work was that he at least once chucked away, burned maybe, I don’t recall, his boxes of cards and notes.)

1 Like

@GKH there’s a strong rumour that a David Lynch film, featuring Laura Dern, will premiere at Cannes in May

Wicked…I hope he makes some more t.v…, however, quote: “The Maestro #DavidLynch has denied the rumors of his new film, judging by the reactions to the rumors his return to directing would be very welcome”: https://twitter.com/PasquinoTp/status/1514189080430628871

Me too. I’d recommend The Art Life if you haven’t seen it, and Lucky, Harry Dean Stanton’s last movie, with Lynch in a supporting role as a disappointed tortoise owner…

I’m keen on Lynch’s art work…I actually think that may be more his calling now…under-rated I’d say…

1 Like

I can’t resist another one:

“Peasants have believed in dowsing, and scientists used to believe that dowsing was only a belief of peasants. Now there are so many scientists who believe in dowsing that the suspicion comes to me that it may only be a myth after all.” ~ Charles Fort

As a conventional scientist one has to be experiencing a powerful form of denial now to ignore the research (even of only the last two decades), regarding the electro-magnetic fields surrounding living organisms (and also the persistence of them after death -although they “fade”, becoming more subtle-). It is the interactions between these energies which determine/describe what are known as the “permissions”.
It cannot be denied…but many would still prefer to smash the place up with HADRON colliders etc.!

1 Like

I’m finding this a very interesting thread, but don’t have the time at the moment to go into a detailed response.

I’ll just briefly say that I was about 14 months old when I fell very ill (I’d been born a healthy baby of good weight). I became covered in black blisters, like I’d been napalmed and had many other health issues. The doctors didn’t know what it it was, and for want of any better ideas they stuck me in the tropical disease unit of Guys Hospital. After a few weeks, when I still hadn’t died, I was moved to the adjoining Evelyn Street children’s hospital and an intensive care bed.

Now, I won’t bore you with all this, because I obviously survived. I’m mentioning it because there’s a bit of circularity. My mother was a young woman at the time and couldn’t handle it (I was in a very bad way). It was my grandmother who mostly sat beside my hospital bed as I hovered between life and death.

And do you think I’d be afraid of my grandmother? (relating to the earlier story I told).

Another quick aside: I was too young (and ill) to remember the eight weeks or so I spent in hospital. For two years after that I had a monthly appointment at Guys, for tests. I think I was a lab rat, because they never actually figured out what had almost killed me.

By this time (1966) I was old enough to have memories. The journey up to London Bridge was on a steam train! I think this engendered my love of trains, which in later life took me on railways all over the world.

Anyhows, let’s have some more paranormal stories.

I could point you to the mainstream media at the moment: You can’t get much more paranormal than that.

1 Like

What worries me though guys is this, quote; “One can tell just how compromised Hollywood now is by its output, for the entertainment machine prefers to explore its market-driven predilections than deal seriously with real issues (hence there has never been a, “Nigel the Puritan” flick -taking on the powers of darkness with a mangle and a bar of carbolic-, vampiric producers would rather indulge the Papacy, after all there’s no money in Puritanism*), one may gasp at the schlock-horror of all embracing technocracy but one must never examine the realpolitik of the alternative. Recent events, however, do perhaps indicate that it is time that the entertainment industry contemplated its own demise (at least in terms of the pleasure-button pushing ephemera which have become ubiquitous to the milieu)”: https://www.arafel.co.uk/2018/10/loss-of-signal-wifi.html

*“Before proceeding, a word should be said about capitalizing “Puritanism.” Scholars of English Puritanism no longer capitalize this term in order to emphasize the difficulty of definition, the fluidity of membership, and the centrality of reformed thinking to English society (rather than the idea of a radical wing)” Google

“In order to portray a protracted struggle in a war between the AWFB and the Powers-that-Be a television series (rather than a perfunctory 1hr 50min movie), that straddles the line between cinematic drama and soap-opera, suggests itself, that is unless someone such as either Peter Jackson or George Lucas fancy a crack at creating a franchise! The thought continually occurs though; “Is it really possible to make a silk-purse out of a sow’s-ear?””: https://www.arafel.co.uk/2018/11/loss-of-signal-cont-wifi-ethernet-awfb.html

Pigs ear

#Weinswein

Ethernet only is the way to go, I dislike being preached at by those who, I am certain, quote; “Think (they’re), really righteous? Think you’re pure in heart?
Well, I know I’m a million times as humble as thou art
I’m the pious guy the little Amlettes wanna be like
On my knees day and night scorin’ points for the afterlife
So don’t be vain and don’t be whiny
Or else, my brother, I might have to get medieval on your heinie”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg

sabo

It’s not just posturing, how can we truly experience the magnificence of the universe if we prevent ourselves from sensing/communicating with it?

Aura

Quote; "While there’s no direct evidence EMF exposure during childhood can trigger early puberty, one animal study21* did find Wi-Fi and cell phone radiation during pregnancy increased the risk of early puberty in the offspring.

So, it’s possible that generational effects are at play, and/or that this susceptibility is worsened by other environmental factors such as diet, lack of exercise, obesity, stress and exposure to endocrine-disrupting chemicals and foods high in estrogen.

Without a clear cause, it’s difficult to prescribe a remedy. But I believe it’s safe to say that parents would be wise to pay close attention to what their children are doing and being exposed to — pandemic or not" https://forum.5filters.info/t/why-has-early-puberty-skyrocketed-during-the-pandemic/3043

*Certainly unnecessary, we can determine such things for ourselves without abusing the animal kingdom (see pic.). Also see: https://forum.5filters.info/t/biohazard-the-silent-threat-from-biomedical-research-and-the-creation-of-aids-a-report-by-the-national-anti-vivisection-society-hiv/1233

It’s a powerful apport you report…but there’s too much water under my bridge for me to doubt you.

Here’s a Blue Rose case for ya’ll; “Who do you think this is there?” Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - David Bowie as Agent Jefferies - David Lynch - YouTube

My father and step-mother lived in the Brecon Beacons together for over thirty years and I was privileged to be able to explore the area (and the sacred landscape), when I visited them. On a number of occasions I took friends to visit and on one such visit my friend brought his family and we camped next to the Dan Yr Ogof caves: https://www.breconbeacons.org/business/attraction-dan-yr-ogof ; “On site we also have one of the world’s largest collections of life-sized dinosaur models, ranging from the ever popular Tyrannosaurus Rex and Brachiosaurs, to the lesser-known Tsintaosaurus. There are over 130 models here – can you find your favourite dinosaur?”
As my dear departed father pointed out, however; “there is not now…nor has there ever been…any evidence found…for dinosaurs…in the Brecon Beacons’ National Park…in Wales” Father surmised that it must have been some connection between a local councillor and his cousin (or other family), living in somewhere like Newport, who was otherwise known as “Di the Fibre”, who had populated the sacred landscape and its caves so “pale-ontologically”.

I felt, esp. when visiting one of the standing stones near the caves with my friend’s family, that there might be more to Di the Fibre’s work than met the eye; "“the tourist attraction is only a fraction of what’s down there”, though exploring the unseen caves is for experienced cavers only.

During the show, Will enters the public entrance to Dan yr Ogof caves but is soon taken down into the dark depths with cave explorer and one of the UK’s leading cave divers, Martin Farr, who has been exploring the caves since the 1970s.

So far, 16km of tunnels and caverns have been explored but Martin said he “wouldn’t be surprised if it’s three times longer”"…"“How many more places just like this could there be under this mountain?”
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/secret-caves-dan-yr-ogof-18996988

On-site one is informed of the use of some of the caves for wartime ammunition storage (etc.), however, references to any such secret military use are (no longer), immediately visible online.

Quote; "An earthquake hit Britain on Saturday afternoon, with people from Cornwall to Blackpool reporting “violent shaking”.

The tremor - measuring 4.4 - hit near Swansea, Wales, just after 2.30pm.

Shocked Brits took to social media to say they “felt the ground move” and could feel buildings “shaking”.

It is the biggest onshore UK event in 10 years, since the earthquake in Market Rasen on February 27, 2008.

The earthquake was felt by as many as 10 million Brits as far away as 200 miles from the epicentre in Cwmllynfell, and it was the strongest in South Wales in more than 100 years." https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/live-britain-hit-earthquake-people-12042115

Quote; “Although not competing with areas famous for their instability such as western California, Japan or Sumatra, Wales is a region of regular active Earth movements. You might be surprised to learn that at least sixteen significant earthquakes have occurred in Wales during the last century” https://museum.wales/articles/1283/Earthquakes-in-Wales/

On the afternoon of 17th February (coincidentally also my birthday), I was travelling to Brecon from Southampton by train and thus also passed through the rail tunnel under the Severn at more or less the same time as the quake (changing at Newport for Abergavenny), yet I felt nothing (not like me as I’ve felt quakes before in other places, I guess I was just numb), only learning of the quake when I arrived in Brecon and was listening to the radio in the spare room of my father’s house. My apparent lack of sensitivity did not, however, extend to the day of my father’s cremation. My step-mother and myself were sitting in the living room (waiting for a lift from my father’s masonic buddies), it was deathly quiet and still and the clouds were sitting on the hilltops as they often do there when I heard; “…woo woo woo… crackle…woo woo woo crackle…woo woo” and the roar of a military jet (I once spent a day exploring the sacred landscape just before “Desert Storm” and was treated to a full display of multi-types of military aircraft -also some good stories re:-), I recognised, from the noise it was making, as a Harrier “Jump-Jet” (makes sense to use a Harrier given both crafts’ capabilities):

Harrier-UFO-591693
Now there’s a famous picture!

Of-course it was cloudy and I was indoors, however, I’ve heard (and felt), things like this before (although not specifically whilst in Brecon -#DeclanMurrayRIP reported to me seeing a “flying saucer” from the garden of his flat in Portswood, Southampton some years before he died:

-), and I sat there in stunned silence thinking; “they are using the low cloud and trying to hide the noise with the jet but the atmosphere is so conductive today they’re not doing a very good job of it!”

UFO1

Clearly, to me, the base is in the caves.
Anyhoo…the Masons arrived (we met some of Dad’s Unitarian friends at the crematorium also), and it was they (many of them having been career soldiers in the Parachute Regiment -“Ah that well known oxymoron…the para-normal!”-), who carried his coffin and we said goodbye to that grand old man. True story…on my mother’s too… (to be continued), …

Major Briggs

I just happened to come across this old news story today. It occurred back in 2008 and involved two Swedish twins who went a bit insane on the M6 motorway. It was widely reported at the time. What wasn’t widely reported was the follow-up to it all. The following 12 minute video explains it all. UK readers might be familiar with the story, but perhaps not so familiar with what happened afterwards. I think this one belongs in ‘The weird and the eerie’ thread…

1 Like

Yikes, what a story Despite all the other bizarre occurrences the bit that caught my attention was where the woman assaults a have a go hero with a roof tile that she had in her pocket…

As you do

The roof tile bit made me sit up as well. The story of these Swedish twins is so weird that I corroborated it from a number of other sources. Apparently it did all really happen as shown in the video I posted above.

A little bit more of the weird, and any excuse to play some music: Ignacy Paderewski was a concert pianist and composer who came from a relatively humble background. He also became the first Prime Minister of what is now modern day Poland. One of his first acts in office was to sign the Treaty of Versailles at the end of the First World War.

Here’s a brief clip of Paderewski playing Chopin’s Polonaise in A Flat (could Bojo or Biden or Macron, et al, do this?). I don’t know where the concert hall is, but check out the architecture…

1 Like

It’s like something out of Metropolis. I recall watching Moonlight Sonata ages ago and I think this is from the film and that it might be a set rather than a real hall. The film was made at Denham according to BFI and some very elaborate sets were made/used there eg by Michael Powell. A good example are the scenes set in heaven, including the immense-looking stairway, in A Matter Of Life And Death.

Now a housing estate.

FYI Hauntings, Possession and Passing Over 9 44 mins - YouTube

3 Likes