5 Filters

The War On Sensemaking

So, in general I find Daniel Schmactenberger quite an annoying fellow. He’s a few steps up from Jordan Peterson in my book (who I rate as far beyond annoying). And, true to form, he’s quite annoying in the video below…

But

I also found this interview fascinating, and I think that he’s really taking aim at an issue of supreme importance in our developed world - how we deal with the fact of being a target in an endless information war, and how to make sense of the chaos.

He asks, and (I think) goes some way towards answering, the question of how have our societies become so completely polarised? Why do so many of our elections come out so close? And what might we try and do about it?

Anyway. If you can get beyond some of the cultural bias he tends to operate from (or don’t get beyond it - that in itself is another very interesting discussion) I think there is a very interesting and very important conversation that is waiting to be had in this subject. Worth the 90 mins in my book… It is informationally pretty dense, so I’ll probably have another watch soon.

Cheers
PP

PS the interviewer (who doesn’t speak or appear) is ex-BBC chappie Dave Fuller. Those old timers from the MLMB may well remember his somewhat meteoric arc and subsequent conflagration on that board. He has since started a YouTube channel called Rebel Wisdom, and this business about sensemaking is something he’s been focused on for a bit. Interesting bit if trivia there for you all…