5 Filters

The sound of Britain today?

Thought I’d share these chaps. Hard to describe the sound other than raw, possibly British rap?

Sleaford Mods

2 Likes

Is this an Ode to Bojo?

I loved the raw energy in this track - always invigorating in today’s music scene. People might disagree when I say that I hear shades of Ian Dury and the Blockheads.

1 Like

No, it’s simply Sleaford Mods. A couple more of my faves;

Jobseeker. Makes me chuckle. JH live version (more energy)

McFlurry. Synthetic drugs, and what we do to ourselves.

Middlemen. The first track I heard of theirs. Raw.

I find myself hearing so many artists. Guess it’s the feelings coming out. One of my first musical memories is wondering around the kitchen (preschool) singing “Hit me with your rhythm stick”. Well, as best I could anyways.

1 Like

LocalYokel, I enjoyed the further tracks. I always love discovering bands I’d never heard of, and I’ll certainly keep an eye on the Sleaford Mods.

I don’t wish to detract from your thread, but if you don’t mind I’ll sling in an Ian Dury track, to try and show why I made some sort of comparison. Dury was different, in that he had a full band behind him, and not just synths. I would hazard that this is still rapping (in the sense it would still work without the big musical backing), and the track was released 40 years ago. Gawd…

Been a fan of the Mods for years though it’s hard to forgive Jason his me-too diatribes against unvaccinated fellow citizens. I prefer when he raps rather than when he tries to sing. That started creeping in around the time of English Tapas. He does a good feature on the latest Orbital album and SM have their own new album out on 10 March.

Unless I’m mistaken Jason worked in a JobCentre for a while himself.

Other bands with the same sort of energy: Meatraffle, Fat White Family, Warmduscher to some extent (they’re more like the Cramps).

2 Likes

Best line: Baa baa black sheep have you any rock?

I can’t seem to get this to fit in the right part of the thread, am referring to Jolly Fucker.

1 Like

Don’t like to correct, but it’s “Baa baa crack sheep…”

I know it because of what follows, “EDF twat!”

Musicians in general are not to be trusted. Even those who seem rebellious. From Jim Morrison and his admiral dad, through Katy Perry with Epstein, most are either corrupt or controlled.

Music is a powerful medium, and it’s tightly exercised.

Haven’t paid for recorded music for years either. Fuck them! Artist usually get the cash from wholesale, the record company takes the hit (and before some lawyer starts thinking yo ho ho, YouTube is adequate for my needs). I will happily pay for live music as it’s more than just the music.

Here’s a great piece of history;

2 Likes

Damn right L! Live music is more than just music; like live theatre (when it’s running really hot) it’s us, artists and assisters alike (from the French, where audiences ‘assister’), it’s us communing with the gods, the transcendent, the Tao…

2 Likes

Duh, of course - I just mechanically typed the usual phrase. It’s not often I can ‘follow’ a whole SM song, but that makes the sudden ‘discovery’ of some random phrase all the much more fun even years later. Despite everything I’m looking fwd to the new album.

The Laurel Canyon book looks a great read. I skimmed through the first few pages when it found it’s way to me via the late ZLib (taken down by the FBI funnily enough).