5 Filters

The Rule of Claw - American version

Hi folks,
I picked up this little nugget on the state of the US Rule of Claw, which I am sure can be a template for an article on many countries including of course the UK:

A Nanny State Idiocracy: A Tale of Too Many Laws and Too Little Freedom

" The government’s bureaucratic attempts at muscle-flexing by way of overregulation and overcriminalization have reached such outrageous limits that federal and state governments now require on penalty of a fine that individuals apply for permission before they can grow exotic orchids, host elaborate dinner parties, gather friends in one’s home for Bible studies, give coffee to the homeless, let their kids manage a lemonade stand, keep chickens as pets, or braid someone’s hair, as ludicrous as that may seem.

As the Regulatory Transparency Project explains, “There are over 70 federal regulatory agencies, employing hundreds of thousands of people to write and implement regulations. Every year, they issue about 3,500 new rules, and the regulatory code now is over 168,000 pages long.”

To deal with this I recommend the reversal of the law which states that ignorance of the law is no defence - except in relation to murder, physical harm to others, or the threat of physical harm and theft ( maybe some others but limited to the obvious crimes everyone should be aware of) . To be criminalised because you failed to be aware of a law hidden amongst 168,000 pages is patently ludicrous and oppressive. Further there should be an assumption of innocence unless the prosecution can prove the accused knew and understood the law they were charged with. If this generates a society that seeks to avoid all knowledge of law, then so be it!

cheers