5 Filters

The growing gap between excess and covid mortality

28/6/22 The growing gap between excess and covid mortality
Link: The growing gap between excess and covid mortality

(ie, excess deaths seem to be outstripping covid deaths)

I don’t know how good this article is (or how good is the country data), but the graphs are very well done.

They feature four categories of country, shown underneath:

High income
Upper-middle income
Lower-middle income
Low income.

The graphs seem to show excess deaths outstripping covid deaths everywhere but the high-income countries, where it’s mixed.

I don’t know the publication but it looks like a high-end economics outfit.

As regards causes of this covid-compared, ‘excess excess’ mortality, it’s a case of ‘don’t mention the vaccine’, though the vaccine seemed to be all over everywhere else on the site.

1 Like

I’ve clicked around the pandem-ic site for a while. They are full of praise for Cuba’s covid response. Apparently a bespoke vaccine is used there, and different protocols for people with a prior infection.

this assertion is made with utter confidence:

We know that vaccines are less effective in protecting against infection than in preventing severe outcomes of morbidity or mortality

Source: Cuba is one of the world's most-vaccinated countries

How do we know this? I’m being rhetorical not asking for more stats btw… is it not the case that the evolving pathogen is less threatening in the first place, regardless of vaxx status, and that this would produce the more cases less deaths graphs on show in the article cited?

The “living with covid” narrative makes a great deal of sense to me, and always has: take a bow Great Barrington acolytes. The problem though is the framing of boosters as a regular prophylactic necessity, so clearly driven by £££, and the currently dormant threat of punishments for we who opt out. that direction of travel has been clear for a long time now and it looks pretty obvious that this winter could see the rhetoric escalating with a new puppet in Downing Street and the Keef gang ready to pounce with their elf and safety clipboards.

2 Likes

The quote: “We know that vaccines are less effective in protecting against infection than in preventing severe outcomes of morbidity or mortality”

Well it’s double ended, and the vaccines are not preventing against infection at the moment - likely driving it, many of my fav docs say, and it’s clearly supported by the occurrence of the top vaxed countries near the top in the covid hit parade of recent infections (and deaths).

But yes it’s less threatening now. The quote confers the credit automaticelly to the vaccines.
Yes I’m coming round to Great Barrington principle of protecting the vulnerable while not harming the majority.

Did you say winter?

Over 50s and people at-risk offered autumn Covid booster and flu jabs

Cheers

1 Like