5 Filters

The Grim Reaper

I’m one of those people who shouldn’t really be here. When I was 18 months old I came down with a serious illness that came very close to killing me (born in 1964, the illness got me in 1965). My skin became covered in black blisters, like I’d been napalmed. The doctors didn’t know what it was, and for want of any better ideas they put me in the tropical disease unit of Guys Hospital. I was in that unit for six weeks and was given the Last Rites on two occasions. My mother, who was a young woman at the time, couldn’t handle it, and it was my dear grandmother who sat beside me as I hovered between life and death.

Some of you may have heard this story before, and I’m mentioning it in relation to the covid stuff: people don’t seem to understand what death is anymore; it’s all been sanitised.

I come from a large, extended working class family in London. Death is a ritual that usually involves a Wake (think about that term) which involves the deceased coming back to their home for a few days before burial. The deceased is presented in a coffin, while the relatives all get pissed-up and squabble about the money.

My grandfather’s funeral (back in the 1980s) was a classic of the genre. The hearse stopped at a bookmakers on the Old Kent Road, for grandfather to put his last bet on. Then the funeral procession stopped at one or two pubs before they closed (back then there was no all day opening). By the time we got to the cemetery everyone was totally rat arsed. As they lowered grandfather’s coffin into the grave my grandmother was overcome with emotion (ie, very drunk on Guiness) and started swaying. Luckily one of my aunts was standing beside grandmother and managed to grab her before she toppled into the grave.

This is just the short version of that funeral; and I could anecdote about many other family funerals.

The point of course is that death is just as much a part of life as birth, and everything inbetween.

5 Likes

Thanks for this @RobG. I agree that as a culture we’ve lost the plot when it comes to death and dying.

Cheers

2 Likes

Personally I prefer the Pali to the English but these are five subjects for frequent recollection:

I am sure to become old; I cannot avoid ageing.
Jarādhammomhi jaraṃ anatīto…

I am sure to become ill; I cannot avoid illness.
Vyādhidhammomhi vyādhiṃ anatīto…

I am sure to die; I cannot avoid death.
Maraṇadhammomhi maraṇaṃ anatīto…

I must be separated and parted from all that is dear and beloved to me.
Sabbehi me piyehi manāpehi nānābhāvo vinābhāvo…

I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.
Kammassakomhi kammadāyādo kammayoni kammabandhū kammapaṭisaraṇo yaṃ kammaṃ karissāmi kalyāṇaṃ vā pāpakaṃ vā tassa dāyādo bhavissāmī…

3 Likes

Another one of my crap poems.

This is not directly about my grandfather’s funeral. It’s an amalgamation of my grandfather’s death and my uncle Ron’s death. Uncle Ron died in the summer of 2003. He was a heavy smoker who had emphysema. The summer of 2003 in the UK was very hot, and the heat finished off a lot of people…

E ad a good innings

Time please, gents, the lid is closing.
A cart-shaped wreath, a toilet farce;
the lads are lashed, the women pass
smelling salts (Dan’s decomposing).

A yellow grin, for Mo’s just seen a
therapist, her cough all tarry,
joining in Dan’s death safari:
3 packs a day to emphysema:

a last bet on the Old Kent Road,
some jellied eels and rancid toad
in the hole and auntie Glynis