5 Filters

The future of health care in a collapsing world

Interesting and thought provoking article on the future of a health care system as we get into collapse. No real answers, but lots of questions.

Coming to terms with death and illness as part of the richness of life would be a huge leap for modern societies, one that may see us trying to learn from how our ancestors dealt with it and how the rest of Nature deals with it too. Perhaps, that learning combined with our greater knowledge of public health might just make the collapse of health care less painful than it might otherwise be?

Incidentally, when did “lessons” become “learnings”? I don’t like it

2 Likes

I think possibly around the time that Senior Management became Leaders. Thus becoming imbued with, and suitably rewarded for, mystical magick. See also: succession planning → talent pipeline. HR bullshit is bottomless.

2 Likes

I see the author is at Uni of Kent but I don’t know (of) him. Fairly new by looks of things. I know a few folks in the CHSS and the larger Division it falls under, by and large they’re good folks, not like those horrid Psychologists. (We no longer have ‘Faculties’, Divisions now, kind of like in the Crimean War it sometimes feels like.)

https://www.kent.ac.uk/chss/staff/research/jeffery.html

I gather that he means well and he puts in a good word for Cuba, but as you say @PontiusPrimate lots of questions but no real suggestions on ways forward.

The Psychologists aren’t all horrid, really… but I could even say the same about the Economists. Brrrrrrrrrr.

How many psychologists does it take to change a lightbulb…?

Ok, it’s a hoary old joke, so I won’t go there.

2 Likes

LEADERS? What, you mean like - er - FĂźhrers? :scream:

Been thinking for sometime that - as the Long Descent proceeds - we’re going to have to go back to the mediaeval pattern, of simple monastic hospitals, healing with plain good diet, herbals, and the - heavily underrated in our hitechie-techie times - healing power of the mind and the soul in intercessory-prayer mode. This together with the village shamans/shamankas taking the roles of GPs.