5 Filters

The French Presidential Election 2022 (or, you couldn’t make it up)

Me too, on my boat, and - after composting - on my garden beds. The trick for bucket composting loos is to use a two-chute separating loo - fluids to one container, solids plus soak-up (sawdust, soil, sand, dry grass clippings, etc.) in the other. Especially necessary when women use it. Men can pee into a separate container anyway, standing up; and the odd times when you can’t manage the separation, it isn’t enough to swamp the smell-killing effect of the soak-up. My loo always smells of the forest floor from where all my soak-up soil is harvested. Nothing more offensive than that. My pee-bucket, when it smells at all, smells faintly of bleach; gets a shot once every five empties or so - in Summer. Unbleached pee goes straight on the garden beds, into the mulch that always covers them. (No dig!!)

I’ve been doing this aboard - and on the bank for the compost bins - since 1993. Works like a dream! Getting back to old, brilliant Chinese ways of recycling soil-food from humans as well as from domestic animals, so conserving soil health and plenitude of nutrients through many years of growing food, even with limited ground space. No-one NEEDS to flush loos, even with just restricted amounts of expensively-purified drinking water; crazy!)

1 Like

CJ1 and Rhis, the gite house has five toilets, and four of them are in large bathrooms (all bedrooms are ensuite). My biggest nightmare with regard to managing all this has always been that the fosse septic system might go wrong when there are guests in the house (power cuts aside).

Can you point me to any good articles about compost toilets, either that you have written or others have written?

Depending on pump size, you may be able to get by with an inverter with a couple of large 12v batteries? At the very least it will provide back up until composting toilets are ready.

The whole subject seems to have got a bit larded with gadgetry just lately: electrical fans, pumps, etc. My experience is all with earlier versions, which are all passive, requiring no attention beyond a dig-out of the composted waste every eighteen months or so (more frequent for my simple bucket set-up, obviously), for the larger, group facilities, such as the one at Cae Mabon, my old buddy Eric Maddern’s magical creation in the woods by Afon Fachwen, across on the other side of LLyn Padarn from LLanberis, in Gwynedd. Those loos handle hundreds of visitors a year without difficulty. They also - last time I looked - incorporated an ingenious device - laughingly called a ‘piss-trickle’ - which was an early, entirely passive, version of the separator that I mentioned above. If you go to the ‘Communal Spaces’ page of the Cae Mabon website and scroll down, you’ll find a pic. and some description of it: