5 Filters

Some recent(ish) reads

This part of 5-filters doesn’t get enough use, and naturally I understand that the topics which dominate discussion here are essentially the same ones that dominate, or even pollute, discourse generally.

So:

I couldn’t begin to quantify how many books I’ve started but not yet finished in the last year or so… but setting that aside, and adding a self-imposed constraint that “covid books” are out of scope, I’ll update this thread now and again with a few good, bad, indifferent reads of mine these last few months that might be of interest. Be interested to hear from other posters, regular but particularly otherwise.

The first one is squarely in Five Filters territory and the link gives a decent synopsis of the content.

There’s some real good stuff but the author’s great scholarship is not matched by any particular feel for prose, and this can make the material quite unengaging. Fewer slews of facts, a more ethnographic approach, some sense that actually this whole shebang was plain evil, would have made for a much stronger book.

I was quite glad to make it to the end, put it that way, nevertheless some interesting stuff and made me time-travel back to many Sundays down the Sally Anne ** where I absorbed much good wholesome stuff. Alas, so little stuck :rofl:

** A bit cryptic? For quite a while we attended the local Salvation Army Sunday School to have our common traits softened up a bit. Morale boosting songs, uplifting books, and Nativity plays with tea towels round our heads. The Citadel was long since demolished and bungalows took its place.

2 Likes

My early initiation into the Church Proselytant was through Christian Endeavour Sunday schools and the Scots edition of the Scouts: the Boys Brigade. Neither left any lasting mark, apart from a certain amused hindsight, after reaching adulthood.

1 Like

Pavlovian conditioning does require near-constant reinforcement. The book does show how a variety of means sought to achieve this: music hall songs, radio plays, and skits about putting lesser folks to the sword, and cheap comic books with heroic Brits astride the globe. There’s no psychology in the analysis, that I can remember, but as a study of the sheer deluge of one-sided stories it has plenty of contemporary relevance. Just a bit dry, though.

2 Likes

“The sheer deluge of one-sided stories”. Oh don’t I remember that. Took me years to off-load that bilge.