5 Filters

Shouldn't do it, but this time I just have to breach Dmitry Orlov's copyright

in his latest mailout to his subscribers. This stuff is just too important, and too sharply relevant to right now, as a council of fundamental hope against the lunacy to which we’re subjecting ourselves just now. You’ll see why the minute you read it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

In his current series of posts, Dmitry is working through a commentary on societal, and indeed spiritual, fundamentals, involving both his concept of the - anti-human - technosphere which has the world in its grip, for the moment, and the noosphere, which is eternal:

QUOTE:

OCT 05, 2021 08:58 AM

Noosphere, Part V: Dualistic mythologies

Note: I am going in for hand surgery tomorrow (all that sailing and boat repair has done a number on my ligaments) and so my posting will be lighter than usual over the next few weeks.

“In Chinese cosmology, the universe creates itself out of a primary chaos of material energy, organized into the cycles of Yin and Yang and formed into objects and lives. Yin is the receptive and Yang the active principle, seen in all forms of change and difference such as the annual cycle (winter and summer), the landscape (north-facing shade and south-facing brightness), sexual coupling (female and male), the formation of both men and women as characters and sociopolitical history (disorder and order).” [Feuchtwang, Stephan (2016). Religions in the Modern World: Traditions and Transformations.]

Yin-yang dualities are numerous, but one of the most easily observable ones is the feminine-masculine distinction: the essential sexual dimorphism of the Homo sapiens. Members of our species are unable to function—be it as bands, tribes, nations or civilizations—without maintaining distinct gender roles and a dynamic equilibrium between masculine and feminine ways of being. The history of collapsed cultures and civilizations, which often go through a period of sexual deviance and decadence as their end nears, offers a never-ending stream of object lessons in the validity of this cosmological model. All previous cultures that denied human sexual dimorphism, including the current bout of sexual dysphoria gripping the West, are telltale signs of a failing culture and can reasonably be expected to go biologically extinct before too long.

This is the world’s most important and prevalent dualistic mythology apart from the Jesus and Mary cult, which we will discuss later.It is a highly nuanced cosmology that towers above NULL, 0 and 1-type religious mythologies because on the one hand it gathers in the wholeuniverse and on the other it is based on specific, observable distinctions, tying it all together into a single sacred whole. It does not attempt to rule out or to compete with gods, godlings and godlike thingies but relegates them to their proper place as cultural artifacts, elements of tradition and outlets for people’s superstitious natures. Most importantly, it introduces the notion of dynamic equilibrium of complementary rather than opposing principles, embracing the concept of endless change as central to the entire cosmology—not as progress but as oscillation and flux. Thus, the pseudo-arithmetic expression for it is 1+1=1: out of duality comes unity.

This mythology throws up a barrier to the technosphere’s efforts to dominate and control because within this worldview too much technology (which, in its controlling functions, is inevitably the active element) is simply too much yang—an imbalance to be addressed. It may dominate for a time, but after a while a reaction is sure to come, and the longer it dominates the stronger will be the reaction. Therefore, the technosphere has made every effort to suppress this mythological system of thought, but in this it has failed, and now the Chinese Communist Party is quietly allowing its rebirth (while taking pains to make sure that politically disruptive forces do not sail in under its guise).

It remains to be seen whether China will be able to bring itself back into balance after its recent phase of feverish economic development. The exceedingly heavy-handed techniques the Chinese authorities have used in combating the coronavirus have been a tour de force for the technosphere: everyone in China is carefully monitored and controlled. The technosphere has used the coronavirus scare as a cover to advance its agenda of total control. A most telling element is the replacement of natural immunity with the so far unfulfilled promise of artificial, technologically induced immunity. Since this effort will most likely fail—as it has with all other flu viruses—this may also be the technosphere’s undoing, or at least deal it a major setback. Since the Chinese state has staked its reputation in pursuit of this unrealistic dream of gaining complete control of nature, the failure of this effort may deal a blow to its authority and force a very necessary rebalancing.

Although the world is currently very far out of balance, an eventual rebalancing seems inevitable. What makes the dualistic mythological system particularly durable, and intractable from the technosphere’s point of view, is that the judgments within it are not necessarily based on rational considerations (which are all that the technosphere is able to work with) but are heavily influenced by human intuition, poetic nuance, refined esthetic sense, synesthetic perception and other elements of human embodiment that no bureaucratic organization and no mechanism, no matter how complex or how artificially intelligent, can ever hope to simulate or displace. This is a wonderful result that gives much hope for the world.

UNQUOTE

2 Likes

A tangential question (not worth forking off a separate thread for): has Orlov written any articles critical of medical psychiatry?

Don’t know of any, Twirl. But I think I can guess what his take might be: not exactly complimentary…

1 Like

Interesting fragment of a larger whole? A couple of off the cuff reactions:

Taoism is a “mythology”? Maybe so, but a great deal more, certainly.

everyone in China is carefully monitored and controlled

That’s just not credible, in such a huge and diverse country. A large majority of city dwellers I can believe, but millions upon millions of people live outside of the technosphere, as DO puts it.

It would mean investing several hours of viewing, but for a grand vision of a world out of balance the [Koyaanisq]qatsi trilogy is quite something. Parts 1 and 3 most particularly, Powaqqatsi is good but the weakest of the three.

Too Long; Didn’t Watch: growth of abstract ideas leads to a schism between humankind and dharma, escalating conflict and gamification of life, outlook: pretty damn bleak.

2 Likes

That’s quite right, Karen. It’s not the same yet there are similarities to East Germany, when urban dwellers thought the Stasi were supreme, when in reality they were the man behind the curtain (no, I won’t mention the Wizard Of Oz again).

Anyhows, I’m a bit out of touch with all things China. The last time I was there was 30 years ago, just as China was opening-up to the West. I absolutely loved the country and the Chinese people. One of my fondest memories was bicycling around Beijing. Back then there were hardly any vehicles on the roads. Just about everyone got around on bikes; and when darkness fell there were not many street lamps, so you’d find yourself cycling amongst hoardes of people in the gloom. Despite all this, I never felt unsafe anywhere in China.

If I went back to China now I’d probably have a mega anxiety attack.

1 Like

I envy your visits to China, Rob. Never been there, always wish I had, indeed that I were an ‘old China hand’. I do have four Chinese Brit foster-grand-daughters, though: adopted by childless-couple friends of mine. Min, the eldest, is now at uni - again! - just near me.

As to social control: seems from the small whiffs of truth that we can glean from all the Western waffling about China that social control is pretty advanced there, though no, I doubt it can be total. It can never be that, anywhere, all the techie-techie in the world notwithstanding. Even Winston Smith was able to get that afternoon in the secluded country listening to birdsong for one time, at least. Such oases will always be available, no matter how many - entirely transitory - cameras and spy-sats. the fools put up, for the moment.

Karen, I’d say that the qatsi trilogy is one of the formative experiences of my earlier life. Always revered it, especially ‘Koyaanisqatsi’. ‘World out of balance’: exactly!

2 Likes

Rhis, as a little addendum to what I posted earlier, Beijing is quite a flat city, and therefore perfect for bicycles. We cycled everywhere, for miles, way off the tourist tract.

On just about every block there was a bicycle repair shop, and also some kind of restaurant. In the restaurants they would stare at us in amazement (this was in the Beijing suburbs, where most had never seen a westerner before). Despite this I never at any stage felt threatened, and we weren’t ripped-off on what we paid for, and there was no sign whatsover of a police state.

This was Beijing in 1990. In central Beijing we saw a huge queue along the street. Were they queuing for bread? Were they queuing for work permits, or whatever? Nope they were queuing to get into the first ever MacDonalds to open in China.

A sign of the times, perhaps.

1 Like