5 Filters

Remember that Lefty mag New Statesman..?

I only saw this article today after following a link from a link…you know how it works. You don’t even need to skim much further than this pearl of condescension to realise just how far the self-delusion of the brainwashed has taken them.

the passive support of some non-college educated working-class people

I think Paul means those despicables who deliver his Waitrose shopping, and can’t even tell the difference between globe artichokes and Jerusalem artichokes. Rage tweet ensues.

Yup, read on, so it seems:

21st-century fascism. It is the mobilisation of racists, misogynists, anti-Semites, Islamophobes and science deniers around one issue after another: first carbon pricing, then lockdowns, then masks, then vaccine mandates, then the legitimacy of one of the most socially liberal governments in the world

…and now these same deplorables will deny, minimise or misinform people about well-documented violent incidents (Invasions of Congress, bombings of maternity wards, those kinds of well-documented violent incidents). Because this despicable turd wrote this nearly a month ago now. The Overton Window moved so much further the skidmarks are still steaming. The mob this muppet imagines he speaks for are by now making poppets of Russians and jabbing them good and hard. Sharing the photos to their Insta. For the likes.

Remember the last paragraph of Animal Farm where the creatures look from pigs to men and to pigs again and cannot tell the difference? That’s where we’re at.

Fascism succeeds by creating the illusion of chaos, by intimidating parts of civil society that oppose it, by exploiting the passivity and sympathy of police forces. It creates in people’s minds the sudden realisation that liberal democratic structures are weak, and could be destroyed with one firm kick at the door. And then it kicks the door.

You don’t say, Paul. Oink.

2 Likes

Do you remember when ‘The Sun’ title was first floated? I seem to remember a broadsheet, well linked to Old Labour politics, something like ‘The Mirror’.

Then - the financial realities of newspaper publishing overwhelming it - it fell amongst thieves… And voila! Today’s stove-lighter/diy-loo-paper… Though personally I prefer a better class of daily for the second option. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re remembering the Daily Herald! Acquired by IPC when TUC sold its holding, relaunched as the Sun (I remember delivering the odd one among the Telegraphs & Expresses!) then along came Murdoch & page 3. Progress. The Staggers has been home to pricks for a long time now too.

1 Like

That’s right, The Herald. “It all comes flooding back!” Not that I ever gave it much notice, but a vague memory of its ghastly transmogrification to The Scum did stick, down amongst the neglected debris-piles of memory.

What a surprise. No comments section. Even their own photo contradicted the first paragraph with no swastikas, QAnon placards or confederate flags visible. As you say, “Oink”.

1 Like

If I was inclined to write satirical pastiches the end-result might be something very like the Paul Mason article. I just can’t believe he actually thinks this… but then I remembered his past form e.g. the guff about the Arab Spring, for example, in his book Why It’s Kicking Off Everywhere. I seem to remember reading the whole damn thing.

Postscript: yes, about three years ago. Reviewed it as below: