5 Filters

Quitting the Social Justice factory

Peter Boghossian recently resigned from his post teaching philosophy at Portland State University and has published this open letter explaining his decision.

Boghossian had particularly annoyed Right Thinkers with spoof academic papers that satirised Social Justice “thinking” AND the peer review racket. My own favourite being an earnest study of dog rape… (warning: particularly annoying privacy policy/cookies pop up on this next website).

A decent overview of recent developments is given in this spiked article, which includes this succinct summary of the ‘path of least resistance’ strategy that is forced upon many in academia:

If I had stopped asking questions, if I had just bowed my head and put my pronouns in my bio, everything would have been fine.

3 Likes

Did you ever watch the netflix series called “The Chair” ? Feels like something you might enjoy…

Had a few interesting things to say on this…

1 Like

Howard Kirk historymanbbc300

“Set in the hotbed of academic mediocrity that is Kirke University, with the mercurial yet stubby Vice Chancellor Jonty de Wolfe at the helm.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlH4t9u8l_Y

Hilarious (unless you’ve lived through it), quote; "“Why the Continued Ritual Immolation of Human Effigies Might be Indicative of an Un-evolving Society.”
During The Miner’s Strike and just before The Brighton Bomb I entered The Essex University Social Science faculty to study a Philosophy and Government degree. I had left my school sixth form with the school literature prize under my belt and felt confident that I would enjoy stretching my wings over a wider syllabus (digressing only somewhat I would add that the access to a wider syllabus at all levels in education that has occurred since has been, perhaps, the only good thing to happen to our education system in the last 25 years).
My first essay on politics concerned itself with the practicalities of an anarchist society (and it’s creation). Arguing the need for an evolution of consciousness, rather than a revolution of peoples, I made use of some of the thought of Catholic theologian Teilhard De Chardin (and a book by Marilyn Ferguson called “The Aquarian Conspiracy” amongst others). The tutor concerned (no names no pack-drill) having given me a low “A” grade of 74% marked the essay down for my mention of Teilhard’s ideas saying “it sounds like being invaded by “The Tripods!”” ( a “War of the World’s” type science fiction series then being screened by the B.B.C).
Now I should have run to the philosophy dept. screaming; “rape!” but I was a freshman and took his patronising Stalinism to be indicative of the attitude of the department (and University), to this day I don’t think I was far wrong.
Interestingly perhaps (for some)* the very last book I read before I left 18 months later was Robert Persig’s famous assault on modern academic philosophical thought “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance”.
What I find particularly irritating however is this; if I had made more extensive use of (having read more of -at the time-); E.F Schumacher, James Lovelock or any of the more modern (although I don’t think he liked Ferguson either frankly) “Gaian” (one hesitates to say “Protestant”) philosophers would “Tanky Boy” have shown me “The Red Card” so early?

and, perhaps more interestingly, I had been awarded “Wilsons’” 6th Form Literature prize for a long essay on Malcolm Bradbury’s “The History Man” (which I had appreciated as social-history -of-course-), I had no idea Howard Kirk was going to be my first tutor!

"Pierre Teilhard de Chardin was a visionary French Jesuit, paleontologist, biologist, and philosopher, who spent the bulk of his life trying to integrate religious experience with natural science, most specifically Christian theology with theories of evolution. In this endeavour he became absolutely enthralled with the possibilities for humankind, which he saw as heading for an exciting convergence of systems, an “Omega point” where the coalescence of consciousness will lead us to a new state of peace and planetary unity. Long before ecology was fashionable, he saw this unity he saw as being based intrinsically upon the spirit of the Earth:

“The Age of Nations is past. The task before us now, if we would not perish, is to build the Earth.”
Teilhard de Chardin passed away a full ten years before James Lovelock ever proposed the “Gaia Hypothesis” which suggests that the Earth is actually a living being, a colossal biological super-system. Yet Chardin’s writings clearly reflect the sense of the Earth as having its own autonomous personality, and being the prime centre and director of our future – a strange attractor, if you will – that will be the guiding force for the synthesis of humankind.

"The phrase ‘Sense of the Earth’ should be understood to mean the passionate concern for our common destiny which draws the thinking part of life ever further onward. The only truly natural and real human unity is the spirit of the Earth. . . .The sense of Earth is the irresistible pressure which will come at the right moment to unite them (humankind) in a common passion.

“We have reached a crossroads in human evolution where the only road which leads forward is towards a common passion. . . To continue to place our hopes in a social order achieved by external violence would simply amount to our giving up all hope of carrying the Spirit of the Earth to its limits.”

To this end, he suggested that the Earth in its evolutionary unfolding, was growing a new organ of consciousness, called the noosphere. The noosphere is analogous on a planetary level to the evolution of the cerebral cortex in humans. The noosphere is a “planetary thinking network” – an interlinked system of consciousness and information, a global net of self-awareness, instantaneous feedback, and planetary communication. At the time of his writing, computers of any merit were the size of a city block, and the Internet was, if anything, an element of speculative science fiction. Yet this evolution is indeed coming to pass, and with a rapidity, that in Gaia time, is but a mere passage of seconds. In these precious moments, the planet is developing her cerebral cortex, and emerging into self-conscious awakening. We are indeed approaching the Omega point that Teilhard de Chardin* was so excited about.

This convergence however, though it was predicted to occur through a global information network, was not a convergence of merely minds or bodies – but of heart, a point that he made most fervently."…

from… www.gaiamind.org an article by Anodea Judith

“I would rather burn Capitalism over a slow fire than make a “St.Bartholemew’s Night” of it’s perpetrators.” Pierre-Joseph Proudhon" https://www.arafel.co.uk/2012/05/this-is-no-parliament.html

Happened to me: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/campus Victoriahttps://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/campus/cast_crew/ !!!

Nb. I was right there, at the front, on the bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1hOoM_93Bo!

*Teilhard was lucky to avoid ex-communication, I wonder what #HisDarkMaterials makes of that #Magistereum?

May give it a go although the elevator pitch on their portal made it sound like typical Wokeflix fare.

A Brit series from many years ago, A Very Peculiar Practice, is fun, set in a university student health centre.

Meanwhile much energy hereabouts is being devoted to whether students should be “encouraged” or “expected” to wear face coverings in crowded areas, what counts as crowded, and whose silly idea was it anyway to erect a bouncy castle. The phrase “superspreader event, much!” was used.

So tempting to laugh very loudly. Especially as the bouncy castle was in fact a very large football goal with a target registering the momentum of footballs being kicked at it. With prizes for top scores.

If you’re too terrified to actually go and look, and loudly insisting on teaching online-only until at least Spring 2022, because UCU said, I guess actual details are all a bit too much.

1 Like

“typical Wokeflix fare” More like typical Channel 4 media-speak…in-fact “Campus” is a good antidote, so good that the viewing figures weren’t high enough for them to make another season, quote; “Campus was first broadcast as a television pilot on Channel 4 on 6 November 2009, as part of the channel’s Comedy Showcase season of comedy pilots. A full series was later commissioned and commenced airing on 5 April 2011, with the first episode being a re-shot and expanded version of the pilot. When first broadcast many critics claimed it was too similar to Green Wing and that much of the humour was offensive.[3] However, others praised the show’s dark humour and surrealism.[4][5] Campus was cancelled after one series due to poor TV ratings. Over the course of the first series (not including the pilot) the average ratings were 554,000 viewers per episode, or 2.99% of the total audience, which is below the Channel 4 average.[6https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campus_(TV_series) No patience shown from Ch4 neither did they reschedule (imho the best option), … so anti-establishment remains anti-establishment…ho hum…