5 Filters

Promoting 'woke' conformism in the guise of education

The wording above wouldn’t be my own choice but is extracted from a recent Daily Telegraph article. Using cunning means to bypass paywall, the text is reproduced below, followed by a bit of amateur sleuthing by Auntie Agatha.

SNIP BEGINS

Wearing second hand clothes ‘an example of white privilege’, students told

September 27, 2021 Monday 9:05 PM GMT

Copyright 2021 Telegraph Media Group Limited All Rights Reserved

Byline: By Ewan Somerville

Highlight: University of Kent accused of promoting ‘woke’ conformism in the guise of education as it tells every student to complete diversity course.

Wearing second-hand clothes without this being blamed on “the bad morals of my race” is an example of white privilege, students have been told in a compulsory diversity course.

The University of Kent has instructed every student to complete the four-hour mandatory module, covering topics such as white privilege , microaggressions and pronouns.

The course, titled Expect Respect and seen by The Telegraph, includes a white privilege quiz where participants are asked to pick which of 13 options are societal benefits allegedly enjoyed by white people in the UK.

If the student ticks all 13, a gold star is awarded, and if not, a button appears directing them to retry.

One white privilege example listed is: “I can swear, or dress in second-hand clothes, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.”

Other examples include “I can go shopping without being followed or harassed”, being sure of having “neutral or pleasant” neighbours and “I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race”.

Scottish teachers have recently been urged to take a “white privilege test”, seen below:

The course on students’ moodle webpage also claims systemic racism is “built into the very building blocks of British society”, including schools, courts and churches.

It adds that some ethnic minorities engage in “white ideology” to benefit from the power “whiteness” brings.

Lecturers have been told in an internal email: "We expect all students, regardless of programme, level or site of study, to complete the module.

"It introduces students to the culture and expectations we have at Kent in terms of respectful behaviour and discussion, and also helps to increase students’ awareness and understanding about a variety of different themes and nuances in relation to equality, diversity and inclusivity. "

Staff have also been emailed by faculty managers to consider adding trigger warnings to exam papers, and carry out “pronoun checks, make a note of them and use them correctly” when meeting new students, such as they/them or ze/zir.

Philistine and irresponsible

However, it has sparked a backlash from professors, who told The Telegraph they are refusing to comply and branded it a “philistine” betrayal of academia’s core values.

“I’ve said I’m not going to do it (add trigger warnings or decolonise reading lists ) and I’m not going to tell students to do this module either,” said Ellie Lee, a professor of family and parenting research at Kent, adding “quite a lot” of colleagues had followed suit.

“Encouraging people in the academy to narrow their field of reading and narrow students’ reading seems to me to be simply philistine and irresponsible. Students are being instructed through this module that there is a correct way of thinking.”

Prof Frank Furedi, a sociologist at Kent and author of 100 Years of Identity Crisis, criticised the “thought policing” move, adding: “There’s a danger of promoting conformism on campuses under the guise of education that you indoctrinate people into woke dogma.”

A Kent spokesman said the module was “supporting everyone to ensure all members of our community are treated with dignity and respect”.

SNIP ENDS

While the module seems to have some clunky phrasing and Aunt Agatha has not worked her way fully through it, it is certainly comprehensive.

The Torygraph has over egged the pudding for dramatic effect. They also have certain facts wrong, and even an aged maiden aunt like Aunt Agatha knows better than to quote a “spokesman”.

Here’s the relevant part of the quiz referred to in the article:

Agatha’s naughty niece Karen failed to tick some boxes e.g. the one about expecting the police to treat her positively, and must now submit to having her ACAB tattoo covered with a lovely picture of a unicorn.

Frank Furedi is an emeritus Professor these days but Aunt Ag has a soft spot for him and the spiked! comrades.

3 Likes

God, I feel sorry for children thesedays. As a result of all this they’ll be needing mental health services until way into adulthood. Self harm and suicide rates are going through the roof.

I would guess that like many on this board, as young people we lived through the worst of the Cold War, when a nuclear holocaust hovered constantly on the horizon.

The poor little bastards thesedays still have to live with this (war with Russia or China of the enemy du jour), but they also have to live with the covid nonsense, and also being constantly told that they will all be dead in ten years due to another load of nonsense called ‘the climate crisis’ (cue Greta: “You have stolen my future”).

On top of this they are constantly forced to question their sexuality.

God, if I was a psychiatrist I’d make a fortune at the moment.

1 Like

Take a couple of dollops of reasonableness and then mix in some rather more outré ingredients et voila!

Obviously it’s good to make people think, to question and playing devil’s advocate is a fine tool to facilitate that, but this is just pure indoctrination. Not surprised though, the germ of this was present when I was at university and it was clear to me then how to get good marks; you either had to give them just what they wanted or go right out on a limb and challenge their intellectual status quo; the latter was far, far harder, but significantly more enjoyable!

The notion of class is pretty much completely missing here too. In a hierarchical society that defines people by their social status, it is somewhat inevitable that individuals/groups will find a way of not being at the bottom and so will seek to ‘oppress’ others; minorities are easy game, as are the poor and those perceived as ill-educated and all of those can fall foul of oppressing others they perceive as lesser too.

Market forces are also missing from the implied analysis and would be partly responsible for some of the issues the questions raise. My favourite though has to be the notion that feeling safer around the police is white privilege! I think that might say more about the police than it does white privilege!

Swearing? Again, class; attitudes can differ depending on who is doing the swearing. Quick story; I was in a queue at a bank; my son was in his buggy. I was tired having worked a particularly long festival and very distracted. Ever so slowly, a word infiltrated itself into my consciousness. At first, I heard it, but didn’t really hear it. It was a deep voice, repeating over and over the same word, a word that slowly took on a more substantial form; the word was ‘bollocks’. Bollocks the disassociated, deep voice said; bollocks, bollocks, bollocks, over and over and over again and then the penny dropped; I looked down and there was my son, in his buggy, gruff voice and all, enjoying getting his tongue around the deliciousness of the word ‘bolloccks’. Filthy looks from those in the queue? You bet!

1 Like

Ha ha ha, kids really do seem to pick up those words you’d rather they didn’t.

Spot on about class @Jamie, it’s Jemimahs and Ruperts all the way. A good percentage of the woke crap is spearheaded by Sabbatical Officers, undergrads who get elected into student union roles and take a paid year off from their degrees. Not exclusively Jemimahs or Rupert’s, but the year is mostly spent politicking and whining about injustice. Looks good on the CV and prepares one for an adult life of meetings all day and no actual work. Super.

1 Like