5 Filters

Off topic - google translate

In my experience, a bit of a mixed bag.
Sometimes seems fine, sometimes it seems not to get the point of a story or the issues on which it is based, and cover up with AI blather.

But then again my lack of knowledge of the host language (I’m indiscriminate in this regard :slightly_smiling_face:) is obviously a limitation.

Instinctively my expectation would be that in controversial topics it would likely miss nuance, even leaving bias aside. But if a cat sat on a mat it would be accurate.

Maybe this reflects my own prejudices, as I never get confirmation.

Anyone with good knowledge of English plus another language (or even, without :slightly_smiling_face:) got a view?

Cheers
Evvy_dense

1 Like

Untrustworthy.

I use Yandex translate. Far more accurate, and far less inclined to lie.

1 Like

Thanks, I didn’t know there even were other options. I kind of assumed google had a monopoly in everything. I’ll see to it.

1 Like

I use Bing which is Microsoft’s own. A few years ago going from English to French, one had to then translate the French back to English and manually correct the translated text. Theses days it’s much better but with colloquial phrases or nuanced text one has to be careful. It still gets things wrong and can makes nonsense of the intended meaning.

2 Likes

Goodbye google my old friend :slightly_smiling_face:

Interesting…

1 Like