5 Filters

Nudge theory

I drive a lot. Close to 20k a year. Means I notice things on the road and not just that taxi drivers are incredibly entitled…

Traffic light timings are changing. They’re becoming slower to change between junctions and they’re prioritising main road traffic more than they used to. It’s not just in my local town either (although the nearest lights have turned a 20mph speed bumped road back into a rat run…)

Am wondering what else has been subtly modified? Anyone else noticed the insane road works that seem to be just right at raising stress?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks for this.

Had to pause to comment about the planned future. I can’t give an example of a movie, but I can with a book.

Back in the 80s when I was a weenie, I destroyed books. My reading level was phenomenal (what happened?!). I remember reading an Osborne book on the environment. The part I remember is that book showed two futures. One which looked like teletubbies/hobbit homes with clever renewables etc. The other showed today. Same crap homes, pollution from cars and planes and energy inefficiency.

I don’t know why that has stuck with me for 40+ years, but it has.

Edit. Who before Maggie was telling us there is no alternative?

1 Like

I remember Thatcher as a mediocre fool who was so over-self-confidently shouty-pushy that lots took her for a great leader. Her ideas were shallow - and petty and destructive - and her soul mean and ungenerous. A person wholly unworthy of admiration. No effing alternative indeed! Hah!