5 Filters

Mel Stride says over-50s can get work delivering takeaways

Which of these media outlets criticized this, or highlighted criticism?

A The Guardian
B lbc
C The Mail
D GB News

Answer=D*

The Guardian stenographers just printed his ‘advice’. Did not even bother to find a comment.
In the old days even their doorman would tell the Work, Pensions and On-Yer-Bike secretary where to fall off.

It must have been embarrasing reading for any G staff as the minister plugged his brillaint idea:

" In an interview with the Times during the visit, Stride said these flexible jobs offered “great opportunities” and that it was “good for people to consider options they might not have otherwise thought of”.

“What we’re seeing here is the ability to log on and off any time you like, no requirement to have to do a certain number of hours over a certain period of time, which is driving huge opportunities.” "

The opportunity for your phone to ring at any point in your life except when you are sleeping, so long as you do that within prescribed times.

*Other news media are available. The Indy ran against it. So did the Mirror, Sky news.
BBC preferred to ignore it.

3 Likes

As someone who is soon to become a saga lout, aptly named Mr. Stride can take long ones into the sea.

Is Britain now just a place that delivers takeaway to one another and calls it growth?

3 Likes

I’ve wondered about that a long time. For country that keeps extolling the need for ‘growth’, we are not producing much.

Maybe 5g will provide the growths :wink:

2 Likes

Me too. Perhaps we could all take it in turns to open doors for one another?

For a really terrific (and concise) look at precarious work I’d recommend Ivor Southwood

2 Likes

Asked whether he would consider retiring early, Stride, 61, said: “I’m very happy doing what I’m doing at the moment.” He added: “Of course, as we know in politics, nothing is certain, so who knows where I’ll be in many years’ time – but I very much hope and aspire to be continuing to do this job, because it’s the greatest job in the world.”

I remember a twat that I once went to school with who became an MP and then spent 1 week living on basic benefit to see what it was like. Maybe Stride should take that as an example and see if he could even survive the London traffic on a bike, never mind the pay! I have just responded to another thread about how the news becomes worse and worse. This really does strike me as the ultimate epitome of stupidity. For the record, I declined to use my normal set of expletive adjectives because I’m not even sure I could find an appropriate string of them!

And a late edit!

At the bottom of the Guardian article there are two link to other stories. These are “Deliveroo cuts 350 jobs mostly in the UK after fall in online orders”, and “Deliveroo losses soar to £140 million as cost of living crises bites”.

You really can’t make this sh*t up.

2 Likes

My fav here is “the post-COVID rise in economic inactivity”… alongside the “just work when you want” - without the proviso - “only paid for working, and nothing for waiting”.
Pommyland is in a real bad state! But most don’t seem to realise why, or are doing very well thankyou.

2 Likes