5 Filters

Kunstler captures it in a dense nutshell

In his usual brief, crisp style, Jim offers a vignette of where events are now taking us. Mutatis mutandis, his precis applies to Europe too. This is how our immediate prospects, in this time of the Long Descent, look to me too.

I only say that to his last line I would add: ‘But women should still have control of their own bodies, and of their life choices, as far as that remains practicably possible.’

I do tend to suspect, though, that the survivor-lifestyle of the people who manage to get through the Long Emergency (Jim’s variant on JMGreer’s phrase ‘the Long Descent’) will press us all back into our traditional postures: manly men, feminine women - who are also mothers and hearth-mistresses - and few if any visible takers for the wokeist-alleged minority options supposedly between those - chromosome-imposed - poles. The unlucky-minority sliver of people whom fate shoves into the authentically-real intermediate states between the two biologically-imposed sexes - never very many, in truth - are simply going to have to continue to duck and weave round the issue, as the poor buggers have always had to do; I doubt whether Gay Pride demos will feature largely in our chastened future. I sympathise with their plight; but that seems how it’s going to be.

There you are, you see: I was always a reactionary old patriarchal sexist, under all the ‘humane, civilised’ posturing, just as you always suspected! :laughing: But actually, no. Just seeing what near-future times are going to lay on us, whatever our private wishes may have been. We are always creatures of our times…

The Time of Our Time - Kunstler

1 Like

I suppose that seeing the apocalypse all around us is a privilege of sorts @RhisiartGwilym

1 Like