5 Filters

Jim Kunstler describing the real underlying driver to the current shambles -

…and how - in outline - it will pan out. As he suggests, not entirely something to bemoan; a modest optimism, in fact:

Labor Day Assessment - Kunstler

1 Like

Interesting, I know you’ve cited him before. I thought he might have been one of those for whom covid was just an annoying distraction and who didn’t update their worldview hoping it would fade away, but I see he has had Dr Daviid Martin on several times - so he’ll have an idea of what moves are afoot! Nevertheless he thinks the deliberate Great Reset will fail, in favor of the ‘Oops’ one. Time to learn how to grow food then, and play the guitar. Better than eating locusts, for sure.

2 Likes

Jim, John Michael Greer, and Dmitry Orlov have been clanging the (Limits To Growth) alarm bell for a couple of decades, roughly; though JMG was sharply aware of the non-negotiable, unavoidable implications of ‘The Limits…’ since it was published, when he was a young environmentalist, at the start of the '70s.

For a small percentage of people who were willing and able to hear what the Meadows team’s study was saying, its insights have been the foundational lodestone of our attitudes ever since.

These clearseers have all also given indications that they understand that these processes go at their own, unhuman pace, and nothing that our impatience can do is going to hurry them. But nor are we able, in the smallest degree it seems, to prevent or divert them.

What John has been saying, since the '70s, is: adapt and prepare. The exhortations of these three, and others of similar ilk, is that time is now very short, and getting ready is a priority. Yet still, most aren’t listening; and a substantial percentage are still floating around in the startrekkytechietechie delusional myth-story: ever more ‘technology’ will save us; and indeed raise our god-like miracle-worker status ever higher as it does. The pure, simple faith of scientism. Poor suckers!

Many are walking into the abattoir voluntarily, unwilling to see what they’re doing, and where it’s taking them. The transition period to the post Long Emergency/Long Descent world is likely to be a lot more lethal than it need have been. Not the end of this world, though; nor even of this species. Just one of its historic rough passages…