5 Filters

Interesting Chart Showing Soya Use: Food Climate Resource Network: Oxford University

Soya Use

Nb. Don’t use hydrogenated vegetable oils (esp. for frying). Soya is difficult for the human gut to digest which is why informed vegans and vegetarians use only fermented liquids like soy-sauce, pastes such as miso and solid foods such as fermented (not raw), tofu and tempeh (a cultured soya product).

1 Like

I pressure-cook soya beans, they’re fine. About 75g at a time. Go nicely in a toor dhal and similar.

As for oils: olive, butter, ghee - the seed oils are usually bleached, for a start.

I haven’t got very far with it, couple of chapters, but this book is excellent (so far)

Health warning!

7% (?) of the population are allergic to soya or (like Miriam) soya-intolerant. M was very ill indeed before we discovered the cause. She went on to write a vegan soya-free cookbooklet. Some time ago. We are now considering going full carnivore (no veg at all!) but the prospect of no cream, coffee, red wine is a little daunting. . .

1 Like

Hang on. That book you tout comes recommended on the front cover by ‘trust me I’m a doctor’ Michael (asset) Mosley and the BBC’s very own professor of vaccination hesitancy studies Hannah Fry.

No chance!

1 Like

Fair enough, yes I saw the endorsements, and don’t doubt that he will be pulling some punches.

Quite a few fibre-rich foods can cause problems for people, I have to be careful with buckwheat and quinoa for example, but in my experience (vegetarian - not vegan - for 40 years) these things settle down, and pressure cooking breaks down a lot of the problematic husks etc. Unfortunately some of the nutrients go with it.

1 Like