5 Filters

"India’s health system has collapsed"

India’s health system has collapsed

As human tragedy unfolds, there is a shortage of everything — oxygen, drugs, beds, vaccines, even cremation space

Sounds awful. But, you know, most of them had a comorbidity so they don’t really count as deaths. Really only about 21 people have really died of actual, pure, undiluted covid. So that’s alright.

Some quotes:

For now, on the ground, after tracking cremation grounds and graveyards, meeting doctors and nurses inside Covid ICUs, travelling with ambulance drivers and spending hours at testing centres, I can authenticate the fact that everything — and I mean everything — is running short.

The most critical shortfall is that of oxygen. An hour from Mumbai in the Vasai-Palghar belt, eight patients died in a single day at the Vinayaka private hospital because oxygen ran out.

Just like the flu. Happens every year, right?

India’s health system has cracked under the weight of Covid. We are in a national emergency. The images of the election rallies, the religious congregations, the farmers protests — any mass congregation — is not just idiotic, it is an insult to the doctors at the frontline who say they are “exhausted and worn out”.

More than 800 doctors have already lost their lives to Covid. We claim to respect them and salute them every day. And yet, our utter callousness and the bizarre mixed messaging from our politicians — lockdowns for citizens, rallies for netas — are a criminal affront to every health worker on duty.

Yep, more exhausted, worn out and dead frontline doctors. Better just to ignore them, and all the other frontline doctors like them. What the hell do they know about Covid?

Nothing to see here. Just a flu. If we subtract out comorbidites then almost no one died. It’s all a scam…

I think not.

Cheers
PP