5 Filters

How to Turn off the WiFi Signal to your Router

…you will need your service provider’s IP but that should be provided somewhere in your acc. under Wi-Fi connection…you’ll need your router user name and the router password (these should be on a small sticker somewhere on the device -they don’t make it easy do they?-). Notice that because there is no WiFi signal the system registers a fault!

Hi @GKH

I was working on a technical project in the middle of lockdown, and started experimenting with a bit of software called a “packet sniffer” that allowed me to look at all the various electronic communications that were passing within my reach for whatever reason. I was stunned! TVs from a door or two down trying to talk to devices in my house, wifi routers from all my neighbours busily chatting away, phones and other electronic devices constantly chattering, printers and other bits of hardware looking to connect to the mothership and pass a status report back.

It was overwhelming. We truly are constantly immersed in an ocean of radio and other electromagnetic communication, constantly.

Well. I’m not. I’m wearing my colander on my head and sitting in my faraday cage!
/s

Cheers
PP

3 Likes

That’s the only sensible thing to do PP lol.

More often than not home routers are very vulnerable and it wouldn’t take much more to hack a router than guess a few common model names and look up the default admin username (frequently ‘admin’) and password (often nothing, or ‘1111’ and other elementary strings of a few characters, ours was ‘1234’). So few people know this is even a thing, let alone change the values.

Right now we have 21 devices connected…

1 Like

In another (pre-banned) life, I remember @Evvy_dense had managed to collate a list of published papers as long as my arm on the potential harmful effects of non-ionising EM radiation exposure.

Happily for my own sanity I think I’ve lost that list. Instead I have the vague, nagging notion that I remember it was quite possibly bad, but not exactly how bad.

Actually, thinking about what I just wrote, that might not be the best mental health position to be in!

Perhaps we’ll be able to re-collate that list here at some point. Or even an updated version.

We are in the midst of so many social experiments with unknown health risks right now that it boggles the mind. EM, social media, GM foods, franken-vaccines, BPA and other chemicals, micro-plastics, rising CO2, etc etc. I suppose to some degree just living here in this planet is an experiment with unknown health risks - maybe that’s just called normal life.

All I know it’s that it gets us all in the end. No one gets out alive!

:wink:

Cheers
PP

2 Likes

and they say we’re crazy…

I have found, simply by observation, of those friends and acquaintances who are “service using” schizophrenics that there is indeed “method to their madness”…“method” that any physician would recognise if their own heads weren’t so very far up their own a**e-holes. The maxim “listen to your patient” was never more apt…

Can you tell me more about this “packet sniffer” and maybe give some spec, a picture and info. on where to get one?

One can get around these problems by Ethernet-ing your house using plug-point connections…so much safer for all involved (so much more efficient too), but WiFi underpins the entire false, non-renewable resource base, economy (incl. of-course cr*pto-currencies), allowing people to take pictures of the emperor in all his fine new apparel…all those who proselytise for universal emancipation whilst using these things are pushing the stream up-hill…we must not approach the issues we face in a partial fashion globalisation (esp.), does not allow it…

Quote; “Since stress comes from feeling out of control, you can sometimes put yourself back in the driver’s seat, deliberately steering toward stress so you have greater control over deciding when to steer away toward rest.” Go to: https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-to-turn-off-harmful-stress-like-a-switch?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB for full article.

Madness to the Method: Blue Oyster Cult

"A rock through a window never comes with a kiss
Rhyme and a reason never argue with a fist
There’s a time for discussion and a time for a fight
It’s the time in the season for a maniac at night

There’s a lot to be said for a blow to the head
So come on! Make a show! Turn it on! Let it go!

Put some madness to the method!
We need! We need! We need! We need!
We need madness to the method!
Revolt! Revolt! Revolt! Revolt!
We want madness to the method!

We don’t care as long as there’s some madness!

The member’s only lacking with the stage cologne
Try to pacify the jackal at the watering hole
The boys want to mix in with the girls at the bar
And the dream doesn’t wait when there’s no one in the car

Babe, is there a mission to destroy your inhibitions?
So come on! Get some show! Hang it out! Rock and roll!

We don’t care as long as there’s some madness!

It’s a hormone war zone - boys are out for a fight;
Wenches in the trenches on a Saturday night
Stick it here, stick it there; get it out of sight
It’s the time in the season for the nasty things at night

Revolt! Revolt! Revolt! Revolt!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEP3vM3JZZY

Thanks GK, lots of wisdom there. I found the article posted above the BOC lyric quite odd and simplistic.

The author does make lots of good points but this is arse about face:

Stress comes from the future, but not in the Marty McFly way.

…then going on to show how responses (and anticipation or avoidance of stressors) are learned, conditioned. So… that’s the past, not the future, then. Not in any sense a novel insight, paticcasamuppada is an idea ~2500 years old, at least.

It’s correct to conclude that ‘living in the present’ helps a great deal but it takes constant practise, failing, learning, practising some more. McMindfulness ain’t all that.

Trying to reduce the electronic fog that surrounds us, the effects of which are still emerging, and contested, would very likely help our troubled minds to settle a little easier.

1 Like

That’s why I didn’t post a lot of it…the stuff about control and rhyme and reason are true enough…I get what your saying about (what I think is), emphasis…it’s middle class writers who presume everybody has access to the necessary basics (imho), there are psychological benefits to stress but too much of it is, my goodness, torture the infliction of which should be a crime…(because ultimate stress is ultimately isolating), … good call K…it’s about balance… and it’s a neo-liberal trick too straight out of the Centre for Social Justice handbook feet above the ankles in elephant poop but no pachyderms in sight…

1 Like

Absolutely what I was driving at, yes :+1:

Have seen far too many arguments about workplace stress, in particular, always tending towards the self help/mindfulness solution, rather than addressing the underlying causes…

Q: Is your boss a bullying bigoted tyrant?
A: Get some perspective, here’s a new website we made with photos of pebbles balanced on the foreshore.

Q: Being expected to do things a particular counterintuitive way, time after time, with all attempts to use your actual skills deemed ‘above your pay grade’?
A: Remember to have a stretch every few minutes!

Q: Harassed with ‘sudden’ demands that any half competent person could have anticipated and planned for?
A: Try this free meditation app.

Q: Impossible delivery schedule monitored by a spy in the cab?
A: Piss in a bottle to save absolutely minutes!

Ok the last one is implied rather than explicit.

2 Likes

That’s the trouble with CBT (I’m signed up for 2hrs/week for ten weeks end of May -if I can get my vid. conferencing sorted by then, I may end up promoting my You Tube, finally-), I did seven weeks 3hrs/week 18months ago useful but not without accessing other resources, too intensive and too short you know you are on a production line…CBT lends itself to a certain amount of totalitarianism but I don’t think the marriage of the two executives is an easy one and I hope the psychologists will stand up enough for their discipline to ensure that a solid investment is made in thorough and “open-ended” application of the principles that drive CBT, CBT cannot exist in isolation and it certainly cannot be practised without the admittance, on the part of public health professionals, that financial insecurity is a major contributor to mental illness…this may sound obvious but I’m afraid that at the moment the profession is in deep-denial… hence neo-liberal Laa-Laa bl**din’ land…

1 Like