5 Filters

How dare you, you are stealing my future!

I suppose many here will have seen these kind of headlines today…

They’ve been saying this kind of stuff for the last 40 years. It’s all easily provable bollocks. What’s frightening is that they’re ramping this up on top of all the covid nonsense, which the majority of people unbelievably went along with (most of the covid restrictions resembled a Monty Python sketch).

What’s going on here is not easy to describe without sounding like a tin foil antagonist. Sandi Adams did a very good job of articulating it at a recent meeting of Glastonbury Council (10 minute clip)…

5 Likes

Greta just deleted her tweet saying the world ends later this year. We only had 5 years to save the world…

Pretty shitty cities. Sorry, but I look at Lebanon and think, “That’s gonna happen here” (after getting nowhere robbing banks for their own money, they are now destroying instead).

Still, it’s gives the sheep something else to worry about. Stress is a killer.

2 Likes

Henry Ford once famously said that if the public understood the banking system there’d be a revolution in the morning.

As an addendum to Sandi Adams, here’s Justin Walker being interviewed today by Richard Vobes (30 minute vid). They’re talking about the Bradbury Pound and the possible coming economic collapse.

I’ve never been a financial sort of person; although in my younger days I did earn quite large sums of money - and during the high earning period I drove a Citroen 2CV, because they’re fun to drive.

I understand fractional reserve banking, and the Bank of International Settlements, and all that.

I’ve no idea if something like the Bradbury Pound could replace all this corruption…?

1 Like

I could also add that during the 2 years of covid nonsense, with all the lockdowns, the global economy was completely trashed, and I believe this was done on purpose.

The banking system, which has long been putrid and sclerotic, is now completely collapsing. Anything you have in a bank will go up in a puff of smoke. Those nice people in the government will come along and offer to restore your money (they will probably steal 50% of it) but only if you have a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC). The cage closes.

Or at least, that’s my take on it.

2 Likes

Indeed. Good at off road too. Column shift in dash is very, very French. Will say that you don’t want to look at what 80s 911 cabriolets go for nowadays…

From my layman’s point, I’d be inclined to agree. It started with the REPO collapse in Q3 2019 and they were talking about it (to themselves) from at least Q1 2019. Hard to say if lock down was to help this banking problem, or to make it worse. Given the idiots we suffer currently, I’m currently leaning towards help. But it didn’t. The bullwhip effect has caused oversupply in quiet times and lack of supply during high demand. Has been helped by idiots thinking that every year would be like 2021 for spending and consumerism.

CBDC isn’t quite ready for how they really want it applied, so we’ll get a neutered version if they do go for this.

Given what’s happening in Lebanon and more specifically Nigeria, I think the plebs here will chimp. People here are already struggling hard, a haircut and control of your money will be more than enough for another poll tax moment.

3 Likes

LocalYokel, high end cars do to a certain extent take away the joy of driving.

With (very) low end cars you really have to know how to drive. With a Citroen 2CV it’s foot to the floor, to get every ounce of power out of the 600cc engine. With independent suspension on all 4 wheels you can chuck it around bends at surprising speeds (which will always terrify any passengers you may have onboard). As you wrestle with the dash mounted gear lever you should have the obligatory gauloises hanging out of your mouth, and be swigging from a bottle of vin rouge (I could tell you a story about that in the French Alps).

One thing about 2CVs, though, there’s a big button on the primitive dashboard, and no one seems to know what it does.

Maybe it initiates an ejector seat?

ps. my record in a 2CV was 80mph, in quite heavy traffic on the M4, weaving in and out of the traffic. This of course was on a level stretch of road (on an incline, forget it). When you get above about 65mph in a 2CV things can seem rather alarming, if you don’t know what these weird little cars can do.

2 Likes

As you’re so familiar;

This beast has 4wd due to a second engine and gearbox in the back. I’ll leave you to imagine what it’s like.

2 Likes

Also, here’s a very wholesome thread concerning a 2cv. And much more besides too (great forum, friendly decent folks)

https://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/195683/tales-volcano-lair-god-hellfire?page=1

2 Likes

LocalYokel, I love it! I’d like to give that one a whirl. Is there any kind of website that shows how they managed to convert a 2CV in such an extraordinary way? (the number plate looks French)

I don’t post on this website to promote my own stuff. That said you might be interested in one of my books…

The book blurb reads: In July 1999 the good ship Marie Anne sailed from Rotterdam, bound for the USA. On board this creaking cargo ship were Rob Godfrey and two Citroen 2CVs. This voyage was the first leg of an epic journey to Prudhoe Bay, on the shores of the Arctic Ocean, a journey that took Rob Godfrey and Jose Oostveen 8000 road miles across North America.

The 2CV Alaska Challenge was not only the first time a 2CV had been driven up to the Arctic Ocean in Alaska, it was also the first time that charity fundraising had been attempted entirely via the internet, and also the first time that an ongoing travelogue had been posted as ‘almost live’ reportage - the only things that weren’t cutting edge about the 2CV Alaska Challenge were the cars… delay, deviation and danger while crossing the Atlantic Ocean, breakdowns, bust-ups and bacchanalia during the road journey to Alaska, and lots and lots of pissed-off grizzly bears were all part of what beforehand had seemed like a good idea. The book also relates what happened to Rob after the 2CV Alaska Challenge, which was a case of being ‘down and out in the Wild West with a Citroen 2CV’.

That person on the book cover is my younger self, from more than 20 years ago. I’m a bit more haggard now, but still know how to chuck a 2CV around a corner at high speed.

1 Like

Not of that particular car. But heres the full build of another. Twin engine, well turbines actually…

https://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/221408

PS will grab the book next week. Gives me something to read when I’m in Oldshoremore next month

PPS Does this mean you’re handy with the starter motor handle (or spanners)?.

1 Like

Not a good idea to try and start a 2CV with the crank handle. It’s good in emergencies, but if you’re not careful the crank can often fly off when the engine starts and you might lose some fingers.

By the by, to reiterate, I’m not here to flog my books. If you PM or DM me (or whatever it’s called) an e-mail address I’ll send you the e-book free of charge.

But it’s nice to support starving writers. The paperback version of The Yukon Queen goes for about 12 quid on Amazon, of which me, the author, gets less than 3 quid. The royalty on the e-book version is slightly better.

If interested here’s some of the media coverage we got. Be warned this is an ancient website in internet terms (it was put together in 2000) It’s so ancient that you will have to click on the link to see the page…

http://www.localradio.fr/alaska/Media/media.html

Most of the UK coverage we had was pretty naff, apart from the piece that ITV News did on us (which was a pisstake). Mainstream coverage only came when we got to North America, where a 2CV is seen as an alien apparition.

Anyhows, I describe all this in the book.

1 Like

Do you guys remember the ‘traction-avant’ cars in France during the - I think - fifties? Can’t remember much about them, but they were favourites of French mobsters of that time because, it was said of them, that you could take them into a wet bend at 70 and never lose control for a second. It was what turned me on to front-wheel drives.

The 2CVs were always a favourite of mine - when I drove cars - almost as much as Series 2 Land Rovers; my all-time favourite work-horse. Had about seven of those, though starting with a Series 1 noddy…

1 Like

PS: I once had a prop-shaft shear on a Series 2 at a busy traffic light when I was turning right. After a moment’s thought, I realised: shove it into four-wheel, and even with a shot prop to the rear axle, you’ve still got front-wheel drive. Drove away without a hitch! :slight_smile:

Diwrnod da, Rhis. Good to see that you got through your op ok and are firing on all four cylinders.

Talking of which, the Traction Avant was designed and built in the 1930s. It was the first mass produced front wheel drive (hence ‘traction avant’). It also had a lot of other innovative features that were typical of Citroen at the time. There were basically two versions of it, a 2 door 4 cylinder version, and a four door 6 cylinder version.

The Traction Avant was the favoured vehicle of the French Resistance in WW2, because these cars were so well built and powerful.

I’ve always wanted to own a Traction Avant. Alas, £££. One in tatty condition will go for about 8000 euro. A 6 cylinder version in good condition will go for tens of thousands of euros.

Here’s a pic of the 6 cylinder version. You might notice a bit of lineage here with its humble cousin, the 2CV…

1 Like

That’s the baby! Haven’t seen one in years…

I don’t mind when people go off topic in threads I start (I know it can annoy people when I do this in threads they start). We might sound like petrol heads, yet it is all connected to the vid I posted at the top of this thread; ie, they are going to ban cars.

Here’s a 12 minute vid featuring the Traction Avant, to give people some idea of what we’re talking about (I won’t embed it, I’ll just link to it). I’m not familiar with this guy’s YouTube channel. It’s obvious that he knows about cars. It’s also obvious that he’s never driven a Traction Avant before (and the one he’s driving in the video is a client’s car that’s worth a huge sum of money).

You have to bear in mind that the car this guy is driving was designed and built 90 years ago, and the model he is driving was built about 70 years ago.

I really dislike modern cars, which are about as much fun as having breakfast at a MacDonalds when you have a bad toothache.

Getting back to the Bradbury Pound, though, which started this thread, there’s a couple of thoughts:

Clearly the ownership of ‘central’ banks needs to be brought back into live discussion again; and this seems to be one of those times when it happens. The basic argument being that they should be nationalised, publicly-owned institutions always, and fully under the control of properly democratic governments, which are strong enough - with popular backing - to prevent their own capture by the wunchies*; the situation as we have it now. where the private, self-elected, secretive and high-handed banking cartels control many - most? - governments.

A general multi-state movement of revolution away from this set up, towards popular democratic control of money is more likely to succeed; but it does appear possible that it can be done by individual sovereign states singly, so long as they have the power of popular support behind them; and then there can happen the contagion of a good example.

But beware! It’s precisely to prevent any such democracy that the cartels and their (rich-minority) owners will move as ruthlessly as they can to prevent it; and isolated single states are in a much dicier situation than a common front of many.

Moreover, for Britain, there’s a second problem with things like the Bradbury…

The underlying reality is that ANY fiat currency, Bradbury scrip as easily as any other, is at great risk of sliding - often with disastrous speed in Interesting Times - towards zero value; unless - as the guys in the above vid say - it’s backed by the economic power of the nation whose government issues it as sovereign, interest-free, debt-free money.

But unfortunately for us in Britain, our supposed, and often trumpeted, ‘economic strength’ is largely illusory.

In a nutshell, the current population-overshoot episode of humankind is now peaking on the whole planet and is poised to begin its automatic downslope again imminently.

But in the meantime, Britain, because of its long looting spree of its now-vanished empire, has grown - quite spontaneously - to be a place on the planet where the over-population pressure is particularly intense.

And this means that we have to have a huge ecological footprint, that extends very far beyond the bounds of these islands, just for the simplest basic sustenance of all the millions currently over-populating Britain, let alone for the luxury optional extras which we-all have come to regard as essentials for a tolerable life-style (hah!).

Once upon a time, we enforced that overseas ecological footprint by simple armed-robbery and extortion, and by the chronic subversion and cooptation - or simple outright killing if unbribable - of the native leaders of the abused and extorted periphery peoples.

And the one big stumbling-block, that’s never considered by the apostles of ‘Britain’s huge sovereign-wealth fund, if we just choose politically to unlock it it by money nationalisation’ idea, is simple;

Britain no longer has the imperial muscle to enforce incoming real-wealth flows by straight thuggery. And the successor empire to which it hitched its waggon after the Suez slap-down is also now on its last legs, and is faltering also in its power to extract cheap tribute from the world by militarily-backed economic extortion rackets (with Britain getting enough scraps from the table, of course; especially through its Washington-approved global money-laundering rackets run from the City; but what are the future prospects for those now?)

So - if Britain is to maintain any faint ghost of its current gross over-prosperity, vis a vis the majority of the world’s peoples, its only hope of doing so is to have world-beating, highly-desired goods and services to sell, which people will honour our currency - even nationalised Bradburys - in order to get.

And where are those British world-class g&s’s now? Lorst and gorn forever, in the main.

We are, in effect, living in a delusion, with no great staying power left now, that we can continue to earn an over-fat living from the world… by some unspecified means. Fiat currency, whether private or nationalised, simply isn’t going to cut it as that means; as the USD is also going to discover over the next few years for exactly the same reason: If you want something of value from a world self-liberated from imperial smash-and-grabbery then you have to have something, some g&s’s, to offer that the world wants sufficiently to treat your money as sound, and worth honouring in international trade…

Otherwise, as Dmitry Orlov puts it, the time comes when people say: ‘Sorry, your money is no good here!’

And it wouldn’t make a scrap of difference whether it was private fiat, or Bradburys.

• A word drawn from my favourite collective noun for financial people: a wunch of bankers…
1 Like