5 Filters

He that feeds you

My advice would be to skip the first two sections and read from section three onwards. This will spare you the climate-denier versus climate-zealot binary that you will have read many times before. The likening of Green agenda to Enclosure is quite well stated. He that feeds you can starve you, but using energy affordability, and otherwise, as the lever for social control.

1 Like

Thanks, K - yes, I agree - human populations are but pawns to be moved (or slaughtered) en-masse at the behest of those seeking to keep us hemmed-in and firmly affixed to their noxious nipple.

The protracted Enclosure era here may bear comparison to more recent times in China - - I’ve long thought that the construction of those ‘ghost cities’ in anticipation of the mass exodus from rural areas might show an analogue for that which occurred during the ‘UK’ Enclosures eras - - that is, conditions being rendered so intolerable in the shires that folk readily upped sticks in search of a better life - - those that remained in rural districts - the ‘sturdy beggars’, were by accounts terrorised by bands of marauding yeomanry!!! That, and the latter evil notion of ‘less eligibility’ may have in all likelihood driven all but the most reluctant and resourceful of souls into the clutches of the inhumans.

Some reports I’ve read show that in China, those that moved to urban settings scored lower on the happiness index than those that chose to remain in rural areas - somehow that doesn’t surprise me.

My only real gripe with the article was this:

Russia, China and India plan to increase the per-capita usage of energy. Therefore, the decarbonization agenda is imprudent, as it will weaken the West relative to these global, increasingly antagonistic, competitors and will make its citizens vulnerable to competition, or even to military attacks, in the medium term.

Small complaint really, but I don’t think ‘antagonistic’ is apt here - - if somebody is continuously prodding you, your response when it comes can hardly be said to be ‘antagonistic’.

1 Like

Yes Si I think that bit definitely did stick out, because the antagonism is wholly the other way around. Possibly an English as Second Language issue? The first language very likely being German from the pseudonym.

Oh and as a PS I was pleased to tick off the following from Antiquarian sites “to do” list recently: Mayburgh Henge (impressive), Devil’s Arrows (broken site now hemmed in by housing but still worth it), Long Meg and Little Meg, Gamelands, plus Flag Fen and a repeat visit to Castlerigg. Cornwall and Devon next to tick off/revisit a few more.

Gamelands S.C. - the lambs loved jumping about on the stones

1 Like

Cheers, K - it’s an ‘oops’ moment - I didn’t factor-in the second language matter!

Very nice selection of sites to have ticked-off/revisited. Mayburgh is very impressive, and it is a shame that the Devils Arrows are so fractured - it was once possible to see 2 of the Arrows from the motorway which passes them, but along that stretch the trees have gotten so big they obscure the site - - did you visit Aldborough? It’s very near to the Arrows and hosts the 2nd tallest maypole in the UK. Long Meg herself is a stunning stone - she’s absolutely blathered in carvings, though weathering has rendered them all but invisible - some do show-up if you drench her in water. Castlerigg can stand as many visits as you like - for me, it’s the most spectacular location for a stone circle ‘eva’!! Swinside comes quite close though - if you’ve not yet had the pleasure of that place you must see it - it’s fabulous. I’ve been to Gamelands twice and on both occasions it was covered in snow - totally whited-out! Great photo there of the lambs gambolling about on the stones : )

Let us know how the Devon/Cornwall leg goes - so many fabulous sites to see there - - at a push I’d say my favourite Cornish site is Trethevy Quoit - it’s got atmosphere in spades has that site.

Happy trails

1 Like

I should have made time for Swinside I realise in hindsight, it looks near-perfect. TQ is on my long list, the only Cornish site I’ve ever got to is The Hurlers. Will mainly be in Devon though which ought to be not quite as rife with tourists.

Weird how that works: I visit a place and everyone else is the tourist… and on rammed motorways I indignantly think “…who are all these people and where are they all going…?”

2 Likes

SNAP!

A few more must see Devon sites:

Merrivale - nothing truly ‘mega’, but nice double rows and a fairly decent circle

Grey Wethers - a lovely pair of circles

Fernworthy - stone rows, cairns and circle

Scorhill Stone Circle - one of those barren sites, similar in atmosphere to the Hurlers

Corringdon Ball - best preserved long barrow in Devon with some super megaliths + assoc rows

Lakehead Hill - impressive and atmospheric burial site - it is partially reconstructed but well worth a visit

Spinster’s Rock - impressive arrangement of megaliths - probably reconstructed - uncertainty about whether it was round or long barrow

Probably all on your radar, K - but certainly worth taking in : )

1 Like

Great list thanks. Merrivale we visited quite a few years ago, 20+ as we had only one moaning child to drag around rather than two :wink: Very definitely on re-do list as it’s so easy to find. Not far down the road is a really cool little circle at Sousson’s Common.

Just behind the car parking area at Merrivale is/was a drystone walled compound and just behind that I saw but foolishly did not photograph an eviscerated sheep. Or the photo was so rubbish it was chucked away. The sheep may simply have died sometime before and rotted away (but it was picked clean) but I still fancy that it might have come a cropper courtesy of an ABC (Alien Big Cat).

Not a great photo, either a scanned version of an olden-days analogue shot or a photo of a photo but I see the filename says August 2000. Eliot progeny II was born December 2k.
Aug 2000 Dartmoor ponies

1 Like

Lovely photo, K - ponies and all!

We once stumbled upon a fairly freshly eviscerated sheep in a bell pit on Ilkley Moor - it made me retch, and promptly skedaddle - but Iz got right down to have a good neb. Clapton knows what did for it - a right bloody mess it was - of course ABCs have reportedly been spotted on Ilkley Moor…

1 Like

… and many a will o’ the wisp I should think.

There are some quite good pieces on stones and leylines etc (and will 'o the wisps) in the latest Hellebore.

1 Like

I must be sleeping - never seen that mag! Gonna give it a go.

Cheers

1 Like

Definitely worth a try. Their Occult Britain is quite a good gazetteer of weird places though with some odd anomalies. One that I recall was the Long Man of Wilmington being included in the (disappointingly meagre) Kent section.