5 Filters

Guide to Understanding the Hoax of the Century

Big essay, still reading it. Well worth your time

…The point was echoed by Michael Lumpkin, who headed the State Department’s Global Engagement Center (GEC), the agency Obama designated to run the U.S. counter-disinformation campaign. Lumpkin singled out the Privacy Act of 1974, a post-Watergate law protecting U.S. citizens from having their data collected by the government, as antiquated. “The 1974 act was created to make sure that we aren’t collecting data on U.S. citizens. Well, … by definition the World Wide Web is worldwide. There is no passport that goes with it. If it’s a Tunisian citizen in the United States or a U.S. citizen in Tunisia, I don’t have the ability to discern that … If I had more ability to work with that [personally identifiable information] and had access … I could do more targeting, more definitively, to make sure I could hit the right message to the right audience at the right time.”…

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing Loke, it’s a big piece and I’ve saved it as a PDF to read more carefully. The appendix is very good and can be accessed at

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/disinformation-dictionary

At first I scrolled right past it. The lead image of the corvid with the camera-eye is flipping great, inserted stand-alone here:

1 Like