5 Filters

Grab A Jab part 555

Do you have tiresome parents who tell you you are a girl despite all evidence to the contrary (apart from those pesky nether regions)?

Does mom constantly insist that fresh air is good for you and insist you go play outside where all the germs are?

Did dad ban you from Tinder even though you’re 14 and everybody else is doing it?

VaxTeens could be just what you’re looking for…

1 Like

Well, my name is Rob. I’m trying to think of the female equivalent. Robina? But the trouble is I’m muscular, 6ft 3inches tall and have a five o’clock shadow (actually, with all the power cuts here over the weekend I now have an eleven o’clock shadow).

I know it’s bad manners to react to a post with a vid. I was tempted to post Shine On You Crazy Diamond, yet I think this much underrated track by Ian Dury is probably more fitting…

Grab your pussy and dance around the room.

1 Like

Really? First I’ve heard of it. I was surprised to realise that Baxter Dury is really rather good, and not just trading off dad’s reputation. But as far as dad goes I’ve always especially liked Spasticus Autisticus. From the same source here’s a quatrain for these tremulous times (admittedly I may have mondegreened this…)

Einstein can’t be classed as witless
He claimed atoms were the littlest
But now we’ve done a bit of splitting-em-ness
Frightened everybody shitless

2 Likes

Ok, you’re tempting me.

This is such a brilliant track in so many ways. Top level, it’s poetry. Most of it is written in tetrametre (8 beats per line), although I doubt if Dury knew the technicalities of it all. He just wrote the way he spoke. I’ll save a diatribe about pentametre for another time…

1 Like

Lucky bleeders always cracks me up. He very likely did know what a pentameter was.
Better than I do that’s for sure.

The same photo is in the inlay for this stonking CD

Ian taught at Canterbury College of Art, now known as UCA. There’s a student dorm there, to use the much less grander US phrase (hall of residence sounds way too baronial) called Ian Dury House.

They even provide a mop and bucket and I’m sure it’s an especially welcoming place for students who enjoy the Wembley Way. When you ring the entryphone it plays “I’m sick and tired of taking drugs and staying up late”. (Not fact checked)

Karen, I didn’t know that about Ian Dury. It’s amazing what you learn on boards like this.

It gives me an excuse to chuck in one more track. Fuck the Ukrainians and the Russians and the Americans, etc; here’s some reasons to be cheerful…

(again, although a track like this might seem a bit facile, there’s a whole slew of stuff going on here under the surface - I think Dury wrote ‘Clever Bastards’ for himself)

1 Like