5 Filters

Explicitly non-covid hangout space

With some smooooooth jazz… nice!

comments, chit-chat and other non-world changing conversation welcome.

love, peace and kisses to you all.
xx

1 Like

No

• handwashing
  • facemasks
  • social distancing

required.
:slight_smile:

As it happens, I’m listening to some jazz at the moment, on Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio. That’s my favourite place for listening to music, apart from BBC Radio 3 and 6 Music - which incidentally brings up the ethical question of how to regard the BBC as a [w]hole, given its propagandistic political output, but I don’t feel up to discussing that right now!

Oh bloody hell, Phil Collins has just come on! (He’s a good drummer, though.)

Haha! I have such mixed feelings about our Phil. But, as you say…

I used to listen to chill FM (I like a bit of trip-hop/downtempo when I want to feel cool)

I’ve never got into the “high numbers” BBC stations. Good?

Edit: @Twirlip @PontiusPrimate and @JackieL (if you’re around) , try and write a reply to this post and let’s see what happens to the threading…

Incidentally, now that you’re here let’s try some reply action and see if we can figure it out.

Radio 6 Music has many good programmes. I try never to miss Radcliffe and Maconie, in particular, although Maconie’s constant grouchiness can be a bit wearing.

Radio 4 Extra (formerly BBC7, or Radio 7, I think - I can’t even remember the names now!) has been an absolute lifeline for me for well over a decade. It has a wealth of good (even great) comedy programmes, old and new. God, I’m sounding like an advert!

1 Like

That’s good Intel. I’ll have a listen. It’s actually nice to listen to media that’s not being constantly gamed according to some algorithm to try and better “understand me”, what it really spies on everything I’m listening to.

Drives my frickin bonkers.

Plus anything to be done with adverts…

I see there’s a grey 1 Reply, with an up-arrow or caret symbol next to it, and when I click on it, the reply I’ve already written appears in proper “threaded” position. I predict that this reply will soon be appearing beneath that one.

PP trying a reply. When I click the reply beneath the post I see this:

replytoadmin

what happens to the threading?

Hmm… ok, so I see 3 replies (so far) under my post

looks like this:

BUT they also appear at the bottom of the thread. So they appear in two places… interesting

And it didn’t appear that way on mobile. It all just lists it one below the other… I want to think more about what themes are available for mobile…

(Added later: indeed it is.)

Correction:

(I’m glad there’s an editing facility!)

It’s a down-arrow symbol, not an up-arrow symbol.

It becomes an up-arrow when the replies are displayed in “threaded” position. It reverts to being a down-arrow when you click on it again. That is, it’s a “toggle”.

I’m going to try replying to one of the replies, to see if the threaded display is properly nested.

There seems to be a time limit on editing. (Good idea.) I’ve still got this edit in the composition window, so I’ll copy it and try posting it as a reply to my own earlier message.

Result:

Sadly, there appears to be no nesting. All I can see when I click on 3 replies in Admin’s message is the same three “first level” replies, not including my “second level” reply to one of my own replies.

Disappointing. Unmoderated Usenet was awful, but I do miss using a good threaded newsreader.

I don’t understand what’s happening with editing.

I wanted to append this to my last message:

(Even Boardhost, which was ugly, had proper threading. But please don’t take me back there!)

but even though this was only seconds after the composition of the message, I was refused permission, receiving this error message (quoted, roughly, from memory):

The requested URL is unavailable.

Replying as requested. I’m seeing nested replies to your post.

1 Like

Thanks Jackie, that was really helpful :slight_smile:

Hey Twirl, so upon investigating this whole thread biz further, I discovered this thread.

Apparently it’s not what we actually wanted after all :upside_down_face:

It’s cos we’re old fogeys, probably. Boardhost ruined us.

That’s strange. I’ve not seen the before… Have another try at an effort and let’s see what happens

Cheers for the chat and the drink :wink:

1 Like

Wow. That drummer is really something! She looks 14 to me at most!