5 Filters

Excellent thread on money creation, inflation and QE from Richard Murphy

Following on from the discussion about Rishi’s fake arguments for austerity, I came across this excellent description of our current modern monetary system by Richard Murphy.

Every time a politician or journalist asks the question “but how are they going to pay for all these programmes?” you can be sure that they are charlatans trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Governments these days pay for things by creating the money out of thin air, and then recalling it through taxation later. Pay first, tax it back later. The implication for full employment, a Green New Deal and many other much needed changes to our severely broken system are huge.

Well worth a read.

1 Like

Hi PP, I have been lurking from the start of this delightful site but this is my first trip out, hope my comments don’t annoy or mislead.
Richard Murphy can be really enlightening but he’s not perfect - as with many modern monetary people they rarely answer the difficult questions when it comes to “creation of money”. He says this in the link you kindly posted:
" Very few people seem to understand how money is created. Mainly that’s because when they’re told it seems so simple that they can’t believe something that’s so important that we’re willing to pay a lot to get it is created so easily. This thread explains how money is created.

What this thread also explains is that if we understand money we can completely reimagine how the economy really works, which is the pathway to rebuilding from the mess we are in. Which makes this a pretty big deal. I make no apology for its length as a result.

Let’s start at the very beginning. A person goes into a bank and asks for a £1,000 loan. The bank checks them out, and agrees. And that is all that it takes to create new money. Money is just a promise to pay. That simple exchange of promises is all it takes to create it.

Most people think there must be something that backs up the value of money. Gold, most likely. But there isn’t. Money is just a promise to pay, and has been for almost 50 years now. Mutual promises to pay creates all the money we have.

So in the example of that £1,000 loan, the customer promises to pay the bank. So the bank opens a loan account for them. That records their promise to repay. And the bank puts £1,000 in the customer’s current account. They promise to let the customer spend that how they want.

Two promises. Two accounts. And as a result we get new money. That is how all money is created. It is as simple as that.

There is no one else’s money involved in this process. The bank does not lend out the money saved with them. And there are no notes and coin moved from one pile to another pile to back this all up either. There are just two promises. And then there is new money.

Making money really is as simple as promising to repay it"

I would maintain that money has only been created when it leaves the Bank, until that point it is merely an accounting exercise for the Bank. Take this example :

Banks don’t create money.

The Bank starts off with share capital – it buys a building with it and invests some of it in Gilts and pays the first months salary for some staff – Then the first customer Fred comes in and says can I borrow £100 – Fred signs the loan agreement and the bank deposits the £100 in his account. RM stops there and says – there you see the bank just created £100 of money. But Fred has £100 of debt and £100 of deposit in a Bank – where’s the money?
Next step, Fred wants his £100 in cash. So he asks to withdraw £100 from the Bank – where does the Bank get the £100 to give Fred – well if the Bank could create money they would do just that but they can’t so they have to go the Bank of England and say" here could you give us a £100 to pay Fred". The Bank of England says –“why should we?” The Clearing Bank says: " well we only want it for a while until Fred repays it to us, we’ll give it back to you when he gives it to us!" The Bank of England says – “yeah right, sorry sunshine give me something worth £100 and we’ll give you the cash.” “Ok” says theClearing Bank and transfers £100 worth of Gilts to the Bank of England, which then hands over the cash, which it has newly printed at the Royal Mint. So who has created the cash here – the Bank of England has, and sold it at face value to the Bank.
Before the transaction Fred had nothing, the Clearing Bank had Gilts which its shareholders had paid for ( and who got shares in the Bank in exchange) but no cash, and the Bank of England had nothing as it had not printed any cash.
After the transaction with Fred ,
Fred had no increase in his wealth but he got an asset of £100 cash and a liability of £100 debt which he owed the Bank
The Clearing Bank swapped some of its Gilts for cash from the Bank of England and swapped that cash for a promise by Fred to pay them back – The Clearing Bank has changed the assets it holds but has not changed anything else, the new asset is the Fred loan and this has replaced the Gilts which are more liquid than the Fred loan , Fred pays more for his loan than the Government Stocks (Gilts) as he is a greater risk.
The Bank of England has just acquired some Government stock worth £100 for which it paid nothing ( as it printed the cash out of thin air).
So money has been created but not by the Clearing but by the Central Bank, the Bank of England.

A similar result would flow from a transfer by cheque or credit card of Fred’s funds from the lending Bank to another Bank but instead of the Bank of England printing cash at the Royal Mint it would buy gilts from the lending Bank and transfer the value to an account in the lending Banks name held by the Bank of England. The lending Bank would then transfer Fred’s money to the other Bank by a digital transfer between the two Clearing Banks’ accounts held at the Bank of England. The money is created by the Bank of England out of thin air when it pays the lending Bank for the purchase of gilts.

If Clearing Banks could create money why do they borrow from other financial institutions in the Inter-Bank Market?

If Clearing Banks could create money why would they worry about not being repaid, or going bust?

RM’s other, probably more important, remarks are too broad to unpick and maybe are totally accurate. Although I wonder what he has in mind for a fair tax system to control inflation and if as he says they don’t need taxes to spend, why have taxes at all, why not control inflation and equality through income and price controls?

It may be just a niggling point but RM could have just focused on the Bank of England’s power to create money and not ventured into the murky depths of Clearing Bank activity.

Cheers

2 Likes

Really great to have you posting here @CJ1 - welcome! I’ll have a think about what you’ve written and get back to you.

Cheers
PP

The traditional answer was the system of fractional reserves, which comes undone, of course, in the event of a ‘bank run’. Not sure what the response would be except magicking up more cash and stopping orthodox borrowers like Fred using punitive interest rates…

But this is where I begin to founder, perhaps in similar way to Rhis: the more one tries to think about the Trick the more mystifying it seems. Kind of like unpeeling an infinitely large onion.

@KarenEliot , yes fractional banking was the method of avoiding too much risk but I was told that this regulatory requirement disappeared decades ago. The result is seen in Northern Rock which foundered because it was borrowing too much from the global markets - which in itself doesn’t fit the RM idea of Banks creating money:

The Central Bank money creating trick is really what they have done for years when printing bank notes - they have the power to do that, so why not cut out the Royal Mint and just digitally move money into accounts as needed even if the Central Bank has no money in the first place. The only strictures seem to be the risk of inflation and when in the EU there were rules limiting money creation to emergency use only. Is it now only the inflation risk?
This money creation is the Magic Money Tree which the Tories laughed about on camera when criticising Labour policies under Corbyn but which are now standard Tory policies! Although of course the Tories are using QE to cover their incompetence and also pushing up the asset prices of the wealthy.

cheers

2 Likes

So lots to think about in your great example there @CJ1. I think you make some important distinctions, particularly between the creation of money and the creation of currency. Let’s consider your example a bit further.

A new bank is created. They have some seed capital provided by shareholders. Customers coming to the new bank will be a mixture of savers and those looking for loans. The savers obviously simply add their money to the bank’s deposits. It’s those who are looking for loans that are interesting.

I think it is true to say that commercial banks do create money (not currency) but only in the special circumstance of creating loans. A loan really is money made available to a customer from thin air. When Fred comes looking for £100, and the bank agrees the loan, he gets the hundred in his bank account but he owes that £100 back plus interest to the bank. Whether the bank has the actual currency available to hand out to Fred (or anyone else) is a separate question to whether Fred has been credited the money. These days everything is digital anyway. Fred gets the loan and buys a car, and the whole thing can happen electronically. No currency involved.

In principle the fractional reserve system means that the bank can only create loans (money) to the tune of M x the total assets, but as you point out, this is really no longer the case. This means that the cash reserves of the bank will never cover the money created through loans.

So the central bank creats all the currency via the royal mint. The retail bank buys some of that as a working float for day to day business. But it doesn’t have to buy an amount of currency equal to all the loans it makes to customers. It can make loans up to some maximum limit and all those loans represent money created out of thin air. The customers will then eventually have to pay back those loans plus the interest charged. Charging interest means that things don’t just net out to zero at the end.

That’s how I understand the basic day to day business of banking. I’m happy to be corrected if I’ve got some of those details wrong.

But say the bank wants to do something crazy now, like buy up a barrel full of its own shares to drive up its share price and earn good bonuses for the managers. Where does it get the money from to do that? It cannot create that money as a loan to itself. It could use its depositors’ money, or it could borrow money from somewhere and buy the shares. Banks also need money for other types of activities. Again, they can’t create money outside of the specifics of a loan agreement, so they borrow. There’s nothing stopping another big commercial bank agreeing to loan them the money (out of thin air again) though, so the cycle continues. Until trust breaks down, then banks have to go to the central bank.

If the bank borrowed money for a stock buyback and the whole deal goes pear shaped, they are left with a big loss. Again they can’t create money to get themselves out of that hole - they can’t loan the money to themselves. They are left scrambling to either sell off assets or raise money in some other way, or go begging to the central bank. If they can’t raise enough to cover their losses they go bust.

So that’s my understanding of why banks borrow from each other or the central bank. Even though they can create money for their own customers they can’t loan money into existence for themselves.

As you point out, things are different for the central bank. That entity really can print money out of thin air for whatever it needs. It can do so by government decree - the exact magic money tree that you mention. That is a whole new level of money creation that isn’t available to the commercial banks. But all banks are able to create money to some degree.

That’s my understanding of this little bit of the banking system. I might have made a few mistakes along the way, and if so I’m happy to discuss them.

As for the rest of MMT - taxation as money destruction and inflation management etc - it seems compelling from what I’ve read. Certainly Richard Murphy and Steve Keen and others seen to make some good arguments.

Thanks for your thoughts. Very interested to discuss this further

Cheers
PP

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughtful response PP, I will need to get the cold towel out again and think it through!

2 immediate thoughts -

1. why would commercial banks offer to hand over cash/currency to a customer if they have to incur the cost of buying that currency from the Royal Mint at its face value, as compared to incurring no cost at all by making a digital transfer to the customer out of thin air? If the loan to Fred of £100 is handed over in cash then the Bank incurs an immediate charge of £100 and all it gets is the repaid £100 and interest on the loan, say £10, down the road - a total net profit of £10. If the loan to Fred of £100 is transferred digitally out of thin air the Bank incurs no charge at all and it gets the £10 interest on the loan and a repayment of £100 which is not out of thin air as Fred can’t create money, giving the Bank a total of £110 total net profit!
    I know banking is profitable but this is back street loan sharking!
    I believe I can show a trail through the digital transfer system that has exactly the same outcome as a cash/currency transaction whereby only the Bank of England creates the money. I’ll try and find my old MLMB or TLN posts that cover this,

2. If Banks create money only for loan customers and don’t need to borrow from other Banks to do so why did the Northern Rock collapse occur as linked to Karen above?

cheers

1 Like

@PontiusPrimate
old stuff here:

https://www.medialens.org/23_fg_75_lc/viewtopic_t3436.html

If this is not opening up I can copy and paste it, let me know.

cheers

2 Likes

I did have some stuff on Positive Money’s worked example in a small German Bank but I can’t find it yet. Still looking. :disappointed:

cheers

1 Like

Works great, and 100% on the money, pun intended.