5 Filters

Does Britain now have a Big Cat Population? #SoggyMoggySyndrome

"Throughout recent history there has been an endless stream of eye-witness reports from across the entirety of Britain, which continues to this day; from the windswept, cold and mountainous regions of northern Scotland, to the rolling green moors and woodlands of southern England, there is no shortage of sightings and reports of encounters with these beasts. Indeed, it may seem that almost every town and village in Britain has its own legend and local folklore of an unusual large cat, and there are plenty of farmers who will attest to the damage these creatures can do.

Britain has a long, colourful and complicated history of having a diverse exotic pet trade; from the days of the old British Empire, until the mid-20th century, it was deemed an indicator and symbol of status, wealth and fashion to own exotic pets, (especially big cats). The surprising popularity of extravagant exotic cat ownership in Britain is captured beautifully by the well-known viral video of ‘A Lion called Christian’; a lion cub purchased in the 1960s from the famous Knightsbridge department store, ‘Harrods’.

Incidents and reports spiralled out of control in the 1960s; and with the later introduction of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act in 1976, the situation only intensified, as exotic cat owners sought to alleviate themselves of the impending burdens of unfeasibly increased costs to obtain and retain a license to legally keep their pets. The introduction of this legislation served as a major catalyst for many unregistered private big cat owners to deliberately release their animals in preference of having them terminated." https://www.britainsbigcatmystery.com/

I have been “close” to this story for many years. My father’s house in Brecon was situated very close to several sightings, Da even reported to me that a local farmer had either lost control of, or released, a lurcher when they had spotted what looked like a leopard, the lurcher did not return and was later found dead. A friend of mine claimed she had a pug-casting of a big cat having spotted one in the New Forest (unfortunately it was lost in a house-move), another friend claimed he saw a cat the size of a medium -sized dog (see documentary re: size of East Asian leopards), on Southampton Common (where there is a sizeable deer population).

Quote: "One startled eyewitness was the assistant priest of Itchen Valley Parish, Rev Alex Pease, who was driving on Chilland Lane when he spotted the cat in the road on Sunday evening.

Straight away Mr Pease wanted to find out whether anyone else had seen the feline, and discovered that there had been several sightings in the Itchen Valley area.

He was convinced he may have seen a genet – a a slender cat-like carnivore with a long body, a long ringed tail, which is native to Africa.

Mr Pease said: “When I saw it on Sunday evening it was just after dark and I was driving along Chilland Lane and pictured it in my headlights and I thought ‘what on earth is that’.

“I would say it is larger than a normal cat with a much larger and bushier tail, but the thing was its distinctive black face and pointed ears.

“It turned round and looked at me at one stage and then sauntered off down the path." https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14782409.residents-baffled-by-mystery-big-cat-in-itchen-valley/

I have been a frequent visitor to the Dales, Brecon Beacons and New Forest and now live on top of much semi-rural and wooded land, on the eastern border of Southampton and south-western border of Eastleigh, so I keep my eye out for evidence of cats and carry a camera. I am likely to return to the northern edge of the New Forest again very soon as the season for mycology is upon us (although climate change has made the activity more difficult -I shall be waiting for the temperature to drop-).

Whilst the experts and campaigners worry about the presence of these animals has anyone considered their veterinary requirements? I have identified “soggy moggy syndrome” as one reason why I have received “bad vibes” from our countryside on occasion. It is a good job most of our domestic canines are well cared for too as “Distemper” can also effect big cats (and that very badly).
Can you imagine what rheumatoid-arthritic conditions do to magnificent animals such as big cats? What a dreadful thing to inflict on such beautiful creatures. I would consider leaving baits laced with “Devil” and/or “Cat’s” claws* in order to try and ameliorate conditions caused to these animals as a result of having to live under the climatic conditions found in these isles.
That’s what scepticism imposes too, stay in denial and the animal suffers! I often wonder how true this is for cryptids (creatures still unknown to science), and how much we are endangering them by our thoughtless behaviour.
Have you noticed strange silences when out in the woods or (perhaps even more tellingly), strange bird or animal calls you were not familiar with as a child? I think I have. One may also find ones-self with a semi-open mouth washing air over your taste buds and sinuses, I’ve caught myself doing this on a number of occasions, it’s how big cats identify areas that have been marked by both other animals and members of their own species.

*Nb.: https://rehabvet.com/2017/03/03/cats-claw-dogs/ & https://animal-health.co.uk/product/devils-claw

3 Likes

Thanks, G!

Fascinating stuff. I’m 99% certain Iz and I saw a big cat in Cornwall back in 2004. We were off to see Tregeseal stone circle, associated sites, and Carn Kenidjack - we’d pulled into a layby just off the B3318 and were making our way down a track towards a farm and as we came around a bend in the track this creature poured over the 4ft dry stone wall to our right - it was like black liquid - beautiful and alarming - we both froze, my whole body tingled with fear and excitement - Iz said she experienced similar feelings - - quick as a flash it shot off down towards the farm - - here’s a thing: Iz is a fine photographer, quick on the draw, seldom phased and a sharp shooter - that day, as usual on such jaunts, her trusty Pentax was slung over her shoulder - but damn, in that moment, such was the extraordinary thing we were seeing her reflexes failed her. Naturally, when we’d collected ourselves we headed off after the creature - we speculated that it might be a farm dog and would no doubt greet us with barks when we approached the yard, though I knew that no dog could have taken that wall with such graceful ease - and no, when we entered the yard there wasn’t a soul in sight. So we carried on towards the stone circles - though I must say the next hour or so was trepidatious to say the least - - ha! we were worried that we might be set upon by whatever panther-like creature it was that we most surely saw.

3 Likes

I suspect that we had a black leopard living in, or at least visiting, the square-mile of secluded quarry land behind my place. At that time, my two Turkish Shepherd Dogs were strangely keen to get inside the quarryland fence, then shoot off into the wilderness. They were never involved in injuries. But at one time when all three of us were wandering - illicitly :slight_smile: - in the quarryland, I believe I saw, just momentarily, in the middle distance the familiar outline: big as a Labrador, black, long clubbed tale, definitely a cat…

Leopards in particular are known to have what seem close-to-magical powers of staying hidden and - completely - unnoticed; lots of astonishing stories about that, urban leopards in particular.

Some years ago, a completely hidden breeding population of leopards was discovered, in the Sinai desert. Even local people had not known of their presence.

Colour me quixotic, but I hope we have, and can sustain, a breeding population of such cats in Britain.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! Here’s a thing, in the documentary “Britain’s Big Cat Mystery” we are told that interbreeding of populations of mammals (esp. where such animals do not share a boundary such as do Grizzly Bears and Polar Bears -the “Pizzly”-, and there has been no past establishment of an historical relationship), do not produce viable males only “mules” (apparently females capable of breeding can be), however, we are also told that two distinct types of big cat have been spotted, these being, cougars/mountain lions, and the smaller black leopards (of the East Asian variety), this suggests that it was from these two gene pools that the majority of the “domesticated” cats were drawn and that these have “bred-true”. This explains how and why there may well now (as I believe), be a viable ongoing breeding population of big cats in our country.
Further to Rhis’ comment, my old mate John Knopf (RIP), Minister Emeritus Edmund Kell Unitarian Church Oxon. Cantab. was a fund of information on many and various subjects and had worked in Africa in the late 50s early 60s (Kenya -because of his work with the IOC and the Kalenjin Tribe he was consulted by the author of the book “The Running Tribe”-, and Nigeria), and he told me a story about leopards in South Africa. Apparently, some decades ago now, a wildlife sanctuary was transporting a female leopard as part of a breeding programme, unfortunately, she escaped whilst they were travelling through Johannesburg, frantic they immediately launched a recapture mission, however, after they had caught nine leopards, none of which being the female they were looking for, they realised that leopards had been living in the city for hundreds of years and nobody knew they were there!

images4

images2

#Rewilding

3 Likes

Precisely the same story from India, G. Can’t just lay hands on the source now, but I’m sure it’s findable. Just that I have to go out and do some out-doors stuff in a minute.

The story was that a man-killing leopard was on the loose in an Indian city, and lots of baited traps were set out to catch it. I seem to remember that seven leopards were caught, not one of which had been known to be in the city before. Urban foxes could take lessons from them! :slight_smile:

1 Like

PS: Those pics you posted look very like what I saw.

1 Like

Envy you that for, despite my travels, I’ve never been to a Cornish (or Breton or Irish), neolithic stone “monument” (sacred site), very much on my list #beyondanyonesreceptacle… It seems “She” was with you that day… (the cat’s mother), …!

1 Like

Well stuff me! I’d like to think it’s the 8 month old we have currently tearing around the garden, Kraken. No, it’s a bigger version, much bigger.

Video too!

1 Like

About 18 weeks old

My morning greetings

4 Likes

That momentary vid shot is typical of the brief sightings that people get. It seems to be unusual for ABCs to let themselves be easily visible like that. It also seems to me - though, yes, it’s equivocal - that that outline at that distance is much bigger than a domestic cat. Much nearer to the usual ‘Labrador-sized’ cat in those sightings which involve black ABCs.

1 Like

Yes, the video clip is fairly convincing.

My only, very lame, contribution is that I once found an eviscerated sheep very near the Merrivale stone rows (Dartmoor). With a real stretch of the imagination it might have been an ABC’s leftovers, but I’m stretching lol.

ABC: Alien Big Cat, the official Fortean term don’t you know :wink:

2 Likes

G, you’re in for a real treat if/when you do strike-out to see the Cornish sites - there’s some absolute belters there…

2 Likes

I once found one of those in a bell pit on Ilkley Moor - I very nearly stepped into the mangled thing and promptly threw-up at the stench…but, Iz, a doctor’s daughter with an iron-stomached-curiosity, just crouched right down near the thing and had a good old inspection and concluded that it had been savaged!

Merrivale is an ace site.

2 Likes

Ha! We should start our own mini-sacred-site-survey thread…

1 Like

Have only seen the Hurlers (which is a cracking triple circle). Very keen to see more, and to explore Cumbrian and Aberdeenshire circles more thoroughly. And then there’s Callanish, but quite a trek. Maybe next year.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s the easiest Dartmoor site too. Tends to be a bit soggy but loads to see. Just up the road there’s a lovely little circle just off the Forestry Commission site at Soussons Common. As a terrible map reader there’s plenty I’ve probably got close to but didn’t quite find.

2 Likes

Now they are really quite something - the recumbants - there’s over 100 in the Grampians - only a handful are scheduled by Historic Scotland and thus have signposts etc - for the remainder you need a decent map, and lots of time. We saw about 50 of them in the late 90s/early 00s - - we were in competition with Julian Cope and his mate Flinton Chalk for the title of ‘Champion of the Grampians’ : ) We often bumped into Julian at sites - he included a photo of me and Iz in his Modern Antiquarian book - it was taken at the much denuded recumbant, East Aquhorthies - - also, at the time he was compiling the MA Julian mentioned that he’d been unable to get a decent photo of the 12 Apostles on Ilkley Moor, so we sent him some decent shots of the site in full sun - they too appeared in the MA : ) We were well chuffed about that.

I love the Hurlers.

Every time I’ve been to Merrivale the site has been shrouded in mist - which really adds to the mystique of the place.

Your mind may melt when you experience Callanish. Some stones, such as those at Rollright, have an amazing energy and character - near sentient - - those at Callanish, so beautifully striated, give off an enormous energy. A vert special place indeed.

2 Likes

Let’s do it : )

2 Likes

My signed copy of Modern Antiquarian is a treasured possession, duff directions and mad photoshoppery notwithstanding. Hand on heart I’d say I prefer Aubrey Burl’s books though. And some of Francis Pryor’s stuff.

There’s quite a good recent MA knock-off called The Old Stones, has a combination of site reports and more scholarly/esoteric themed articles.

1 Like

I can’t argue with that, K - Burl is the business in my books. His output is essential. I was particularly taken with his little gazetteer - it was one of 3 vital glovebox books that accompanied us on all our jaunts - the pages of those books have hundreds of tipped-in flowers that we picked from within the sites we visited.

Francis Pryor is a great character - the quiddity of affability : )

Here’s a selection of great Burl books, the 3 gloveboxers, and the Dames books which I find absolutely fascinating:

2 Likes