5 Filters

Did Reform defraud the public with "ghost candidates"?

2 interesting articles suggest there is sufficient prima facie evidence for the police to investigate the claim that one or more candidates put up by Reform in the General Election were just made up and not real persons:

No signs yet of any police inquiry - well there’s a xxxxing surprise!

cheers

2 Likes

The fact that everything had to be organised at relatively high speed does make it plausible that placeholder candidates were used. Proving that someone doesn’t exist is more or less impossible though, isn’t it?

If I simply don’t respond to any and all enquiries (I bitterly regret letting myself be arm-twisted into standing for Reform, for example) the best outcome for Reform’s enemies would probably be to demonstrate weak verification procedures. But the haste that Sunak’s short notice caused is bound to be a strong defence.

The point that voters have a higher burden of proof than candidates is undeniable.

1 Like

The weak link in the “ghost” candidate trick is the £500 deposit payable by all candidates - the money can be traced back to someone ( unless they paid in cash - which is a real giveaway in itself! ) so someone can be nailed as paying the deposit, going from that person to a candidate, real or not, should be an easy police interrogation?

This is a key element for the police:

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/guidance-candidates-and-agents-uk-parliamentary-general-elections-great-britain/what-you-need-know-you-stand-a-candidate/qualifications-and-disqualifications-standing-election/disqualifications#footnote1_funwai

" It is a criminal offence to make a false statement on your nomination papers2 as to your qualification for being elected, so if you are in any doubt you should contact your employer, consult the legislation or, if necessary, take your own independent legal advice."
Giving a false identity is clearly a false statement!

I’m sure that it would be a simple national inquiry for the police to ask all candidates to present themselves at police stations within say a month with proof of age over 18. Failure to turn up would focus the inquiry. Turning up with photo ID like passport or driving licence would be easy to establish proof of existence.

cheers

PS the use of the conspiracy to defraud offence would also kick in to pin down those involved in the fraud, imo.

2 Likes

This is a bizarre twist to an already bizarre election.

How ironic that this was the first election where people needed a photo-id to combat the almost nonexistent voter fraud, while apparently actual candidates needed no such thing.

What does it mean if fraud is proven to the extent that labour might actually have not won a majority? Do we have by-elections? A rerun of the whole thing?

Is there any precedent of a fake candidate being put forward?

It seems obvious to me that Sir Keir was the anointed candidate for the deep state and their handlers. He also has obvious connections the UK and US intelligence agencies. This whole thing feels like a Gladio style operation to shoe in the correct candidate, while having enough intel over that candidate to make sure he does what his bosses want.

If Starmer or his MPs step out of line then there is the threat of a police investigation and then a by-election. Seems unlikely that Reform would split the vote in these otherwise safe Tory seats once their shenanigans were revealed.

Maybe I’m just getting too paranoid… Other, saner thoughts welcome!

1 Like

The deposit money trail would definitely be the point at which to apply leverage. I’m in the position of having to wait for a lawyer cum Nancy Drew to satisfy herself that no money laundering is taking place before house purchase can be completed. It’s a few quid more than £500. I guess if there are eager gatekeepers to worry away at any tricksy looking electoral sleight it makes Electoral Commission and/or police job easier. As Aly says, the taint of an investigation could make a very persuasive argument for going along with pretty much any agenda. I’m fairly sure I saw a clip of Starmer clapping enthusiastically when Resident Bribem introduced President Putin to the NATO assembly. Wouldn’t do to be looking quizzical at this early stage.

1 Like

Hi @admin , I would bet that any question of police prosecution would have to go through the CPS first and who better than Starmer to know how this organisation can be handled! The police treat political crimes with a mile-long barge pole - it’s as if politicians were above the law, but surely that cannot be so!! :wink:

Anyone found a place to which we can emigrate yet? Maybe once France has left the EU?

cheers

2 Likes