5 Filters

Curse-on Russia? A step too far and a step back? MOA discusses Kherson

It was fucking awful.

Let’s start with recruit troop. Shithouse NCO didn’t like me (lucky me). It started with showers being turned on 2 mins before inspection (personal towel used to dry and this was lobbed into my personal locker space). This escalated to things like pubic hair torn out of his body to scatter into urinals just before inspection. Luckily I swapped squadrons shortly after for a different reason, but it didn’t stop him trying to kill me by wiring my iron incorrectly. Officer in charge flatly refused to entertain any idea someone would do such a thing (almost all officers are bellends!)

Not a violent man, but if I see this man again and recognise him…

Shortly after this, my Dad died. He’d been suffering with MND since I was 14 and we knew it was coming. I’d just turned 17 (birthday was a great life lesson. No cards (late) and no happy birthday. Nobody cares…) Got compassionate leave. Was given 6 days instead of 7 because day 7 was passing out parade.

As we approached camp (about ten miles away), snow started falling. Huge flakes, as big as old pennies. Started at 3pm. Next morning was crazy, like the snow we saw in the early 80s (was the worst snow they’d had for 30 years). Parade was held indoors. Couldn’t see mum, but that’s not unusual when marching about etc.

Turns out she was snowed in, three miles away. Landlord of the pub got mum into camp about an hour after it had all finished. I got told to report to the guard house. Mum was there, talking to the guard commander in tears. Apparently she was very upset (understandable given the last week she’d had) and wanted me home for another week. Guard commander then proceeds to shout in a strop at me because of my mother, because he couldn’t yell at her…

Went back to get some gear, but locker key was in my jacket that was awol with everyone else’s jacket and at the time, no one knew where they were. I had to open my locker via the rear. When I returned the following week, my shit had been raidied and I spent another year plus with blokes that stole my shit and showed it to me. Couldn’t prove it, but you know, don’t you…

This, combined with day to day bollocks and the rapid realisation that I was there for GOD. That’s gold, oil and drugs. Took me years to break my programming after leaving. So I bought myself out. Best money I ever spent (divorce comes close:D).

TL:DR Joined Army to do high end telecoms and ended up an unskilled dick on civvie street.

To wrap, I don’t like how the military uses people. Doesn’t matter if that’s someone who is homeless or someone who feels the world owes them for their services. It’s all the fault of the military.

3 Likes

@RobG

Should have added that your great grandfather was a good man. A brave man. He stood for what he believed in. That goes a long way in this world.

1 Like

LocalYokel, thanks for your honest and very interesting reply.

I don’t need to add that I was also a young man at the time (aka cannon fodder); and to get cliche, life’s a bit of a journey, and all roads lead to Rome.

Was there anything good that you took from your time in the military?

Sorry, forgot to add that the FTX stuff is a huge scandal, and perhaps needs a separate thread - if someone hasn’t started one already).

Not really, no. I know my experiences were extreme but they jaded the entire thing.

If anyone wonders what day to day life in the army is like, this short video sums it up rather neatly;

https://youtube.com/shorts/djSkI8TMsaE

1 Like

LocalYokel, one thing I’ve really noticed during the last 2 or 3 years of covid madness is how many dissidents have turned to religion, perhaps realising that there really are tangible forces in our world which you can label as good and evil.

I’ve never been into religion. Instead I probably bore people with music, which in its way comes into the spiritual.

By the way, there’s a bit of a story behind the MASH theme song. It was, quite remarkably, written by a 14-year-old, who was the child of the guy who directed the original MASH movie.

I can’t now remember all the precise details. Worth looking-up if you enjoy all this trivia stuff.