5 Filters

Comedy Un(civil)leashed

I was at Comedy Unleashed in Leeds last evening - we’ve been to most of the monthly events since they launched earlier this year - can’t say I enjoy all the acts, but it is generally a good night out with some laughs along the way. Last night’s event was bloody atrocious - it was hosted by Francis Foster (not a fan of his) he, and all the acts (apart from Mary Bourke) were joking about the Gazan crisis - - chilling callousness being the order for the evening - - the worst offender was Nicholas de Santo who was ghoulishly making light of the checkpoint regime in the occupied territories. I was so incensed I had to make contact with him today and point him in the direction of Yoav Shamir’s film, Checkpoint - - I defy anybody with stomach enough to view Checkpoint in its entirety to thereafter treat the issue as a laughing matter. Checkpoint

4 Likes

Thanks for the link, bookmarked for viewing later. The swaggering inhumanity of the IDF “street level bureaucrats” reminds me very much of how the police used to conduct themselves in South Africa. Quite possibly some still do. Exercise of power purely for the purpose of humiliating other people. It’s quite a crafty way of spotting anyone who reacts with anger, and I know I would, and red flagging them.

I don’t know about humour being found in the Gazan genocide but there is some utterly horrible stuff on X at the moment. Most of it is agents provocateurs spewing out the same sort of vile disinfo as was so obvious during COVID.

I was pissed off to see Laura Dodsworth joining the dogpile against “Hate Marches”, especially given her most recent book is all about propaganda techniques. £20ish for the hardback or copylefted version from usual sources.

Why would you want to compare the messages on these placards with fascist flags, swastikas, whatever? Very reasonable placards imo; no crime, no ‘guilt’ here, in reality or ‘by association’. Don’t play into their game!

For what its worth (lots to me, whatever to you), I don’t see how Israel has any right to exist anyway. Jews, Christians, Muslims yes but Israel no.

1 Like

I think it’s the Star of Israel in the wee bin icon.
As KE says could easily be a falseflag.
In fact that doesn’t look like a Palestinian holding the banner.
Probably why they aren’t arrested…no BBC zoomshots, no police appeal either…

Yes, the placards are reasonable to anyone with two eyes to see, and a few braincells. That is my point.
Guilt by association is the propaganda technique being used. I fail to see how pointing this out, ie how the game works, is ‘playing into it’ but thanks for the response.