5 Filters

Caitlin Johnstone: We’re Sleepwalking Into Nuclear War

No I think you only imagined it T! See above…

Please, let’s call her by her proper name; Marina Elizabeth Catherine Dudley-Williams :wink:

1 Like

Too much mystery here Twirlip, like you’re shedding dark light.

“And even now that I have (tentatively) returned, the guy who founded the site has been driven into a prolonged absence!”

Um, if you can say this, I’m just wondering what kinds of things you are implying, that you say should not be said. I haven’t seen any such darkness on the board.

People should feel free to state ANY view about a subject (unless it happens to be illegal and putting the site at risk). Not about each other though. That’s meant to encourage people to post. Not sure it’s doing that for some reason…
Still thanks for piping up with what’s on your mind!
Cheers

2 Likes

#Marina the potty-mouthed toff

I am beginning to despair about The Conservative Woman’s journalism and use of English. It is just not up to the gold standard set by the Guardian.

Take last Thursday’s piece by Marina Hyde. According to Wikipedia she was born Marina Elizabeth Catherine Dudley-Williams, the daughter of Sir Alastair Edgcumbe James Dudley-Williams, 2nd Baronet, and went to Downe House independent boarding school (current fees £37,530 a year) before reading English at Christ Church Oxford. Such a background and education are the privilege of the very few, and with this in mind I have culled a few choice phrases from her piece (TCW’s asterisks).

Farage spokespr*ck

international arses

nebbishy sh*tposter

clusterf*ck

narcissistic sh*t

glorified bogseat warmer

Getting down with the foul-mouth massive, eh? Or is it up there with the super-cool elite?

Come on, ConWom – up your game!

2 Likes

He has my concern and respect…I hope all is well…

Ah! There’s nothing like “vanguardism” R!

Animal Farm

'Nuff said. :slight_smile:

I’ve always been poorly informed about politics. (I’m not as bad as I was, of course, thanks mainly to MLMB/TLN, 5F, and of course Craig Murray’s blog.) I think my vague impression derives mainly from having read books by R. D. Laing and Theodore Roszak. (I have much more time for the former than the latter, by the way.) But the Wikipedia article on the New Left rather suggests that I don’t really know what the term “New Left” means, so I’ll climb back in the teapot!

There really is a mystery at the heart of it all (not unrelated, I think, to what Paul Kingsnorth was talking about). Something deep, dark and frightening happened here in 5F, just over a year ago. I saw and understood a lot of it - much more than I have ever seen fit to write about - but I found it fundamentally overwhelming (and fearfully synchronistic with other events in my life, which quite cut my feet out from under me). In some way, it was just too big to cope with, and it remains so. As in the fable of the six men and the elephant, I formed several partial impressions of what it was, but no overall concept. And the elephant remains in the room, but I’ve sort of got used to it. (It only took a year.)

Having joined 5F in August 2020 I’m feeling a bit paranoid now. Without necessarily being specific would you mind saying a bit more @Twirlip?

I could read two and three year old posts and see what differences there are but having seen relatively little “before”, only “after”, this apparent watershed, would value any longer-term perspective you can offer.

1 Like

If you were drawn here by one of these OffGuardian comments by Rhisiart, then that’s relevant (but the paranoia is not about any individual, not you, or Rhisiart, or even me):

1 Like

Ok. Well, thanks anyway. I see that there isn’t a whole lot more “before” after all, I somehow had the impression 5F was longer established.

That impression may derive from the fact that many (most?) of us here know each other (at least in an online sense of “know”) from The Lifeboat News, and before that, the Media Lens Message Board. (Me, I’m an almost complete recluse, and I hardly know anybody in the real, offline world. I also have no history of political activism, so I’m an outsider to this community in many ways, and I still feel like a “newbie”, even after more than 6 years of MLMB/TLN/5F.)

1 Like

No Twirl, there isn’t any more to it than that. Leave him alone and let him make his own recoveries from the distress that he’s obviously been in. I won’t have anything to do with trying to drag his name - without his own input - into unconnected topics here. Over and - very definitely - out.

1 Like

People, eh :wink:

Tricky blighters.

2 Likes

I, on the other hand, reject your attempt to insinuate that PP’s absence from this forum - which he himself created - is “unconnected” to anything that has actually happened here, and in particular the importation of an intransigent and intolerant agenda from OffGuardian, and that it is entirely a matter of private personal distress.

(I noticed, but did not comment on, your similar insinuation about me in October last year.)

At least we can agree that there is no substitute for hearing PP’s own view of the matter, if and when he ever feels like giving it. (At a certain level, I can well understand if he never feels like doing so.)

I hope we can leave it there.

1 Like

" and in particular the importation of an intransigent and intolerant agenda from OffGuardian…"

Perhaps you are reading too much into elsewhere remarks, T !?

I didn’t know PP before I signed-up to this board. I might have known him somewhere else in the past (I’ve been on the internet for more than 20 years), because people use different handles. Nowadays I always post under my real name. It’s one of the oldest e-mail addresses on the internet:

robgodfrey@yahoo.com

Or:

rob@localradio.fr

For more than 20 years my main domain (including e-mail) was spiderbomb.com. The feckers took out this domain in early 2020, when all this nonsense first kicked off.

Anyhows, I do hope PP is ok. I really did respect his attitude to freedom of speech, and I thank him for it.

5 Likes

Thanks Rhisiart, I certainly am planning to in the future here, best wishes, E.

1 Like

Thanks E. And Twirl: As I said, over and - definitely - out.