5 Filters

Attack of the campy voices

Has anyone else noticed this weird trend in the speaking voices of younger British men? It’s as if there was a subtle agreement amongst the young men to adopt camp, effeminate vocal habits as standard. Something to do with the - entirely proper - rise of women’s liberation from societal oppression, perhaps: a signal of gay-ish harmlessness by the boys, since women often seem to find gay men less discomfiting than heteros reeking of blustering, manspaining testero-chauvinism? Or what?

I make this odd observation here because this perception has been growing on me lately. I seem to be hearing it more and more. This morning, listening to the consolidated all-channels three-minute 8AM ‘news’ bulletin on BBC Radio 3, there were no less than three male ‘correspondents’, all with variants of this same campy tone of voice.

I understand that if you live long enough, you’ll notice that the language which you learned in your youth is changing, as each generation brings its own creative inventions to the speaking of any live language, evolving it constantly.

Weirdly, the young women of the same generation seem also to be adopting little-girly voices, with a noticeably babbly quality as standard also. Western younger adults becoming Eloi, perhaps, without even noticing?

In an odd jump of association, this reminds me of an observation in a recent Dmitry Orlov essay: At the time a few years back, when there was that incursion into Europe of refugees from the Middle East, including an oddly high concentration of suspiciously fit and well-dressed young male migrants. When some of these incomers began offering sexual affronts to local women in their receiving countries, Dmitry pointed out a stark difference in the responses. In Germany, the local men seemed to be nonplussed and didn’t know what to do, even the Politzei. In Russia, by stark contrast, there was an instant spontaneous upsurge of vigilante action by Russian men of all ages, which straightened out the migrant mens’ ideas in very short order. Add to this my observation that, when watching Russian news broadcasts, as I often do, I have never once heard anyone using the campy effeminate voices which seem to be spreading in the West; very noticeably in the US also.

Russian society, of course, is much more conservative about things like gender fluidity. Stark cultural differences creating noticeably different spontaneous life-responses in their rising generation, I suppose.

Just a maithering elder’s slightly bemused, time-stamped observations. Anyone else noticed this stuff?

1 Like

I couldn’t comment Rhis as I refuse to watch any lamestream media news broadcasts, however, my general perception is this.

There is a massive media push of an LBGT agenda. It seems to me every new TV drama features one or more LBGT people in a far greater proportion than what I deem their proportion in society. Gay male TV hosts, are also (again, my opinion) allowed a leaway with sexual innuendoes that would almost certailnly result in dismissal of a straight male presenter.

1 Like

Difficult to disagree with any of the above though I should caveat this by explaining we don’t watch any broadcast telly, for sake of mental health.

From the streaming services it is very clear that drama, comedy, documentaries, everything, is framed within the suffocating ideology of ‘diversity’. But the one thing that is not tolerated is any diversity of opinion.

Some years ago the late Mark Fisher likened the social media witch-hunt mentality to a vampire’s castle, others have referred to ‘the cathedral’. It’s all-pervasive and becoming ubiquitous, sired on American university campuses among other ideological state apparatuses.

My guess is that the camp presenters with the ready stock of innuendo get away with it because (a) they signal that they are no threat with their fey manner and (b) any criticism of them is easily framed as homophobia.

But it’s LGBTQI+ history month in UK so we have to put up with this continual foregrounding of sexuality magnified for several weeks to nth degree by multicolour logos and flags on literally everything.

Vile conformism masquerading as ‘diversity’ and the fact that I post here under a multiple name illustrates the self-censorship and paranoia that this engenders.

1 Like

I think it was Dmitry Orlov who recently used the format LBTQWERTYUIOP; that about captures the utter absurdity which idpol has now reached.

1 Like

Of course, you could extend it further still:

LBTQWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNMetc. :roll_eyes:

Tempted to but these Android onscreen keyboards are a bit of a bugger :wink:

What happens if I use a French keyboard? AZERTYUIOP…

The same point is made, mais en Francais.