5 Filters

A Psychological Vaccine Against Misinformation quote unquote

This upcoming event has some bearing on my day job and is hosted by A Certain University I’m quite familiar with so I will try to spectate some of the proceedings.

This rather insidious-looking session raised many red flags…

13:30-14:00 – Keynote Talk 2: A Psychological Vaccine Against Misinformation (by Professor Sander van der Linden, University of Cambridge)

Much like a viral contagion, false information can spread rapidly from one individual to another. Moreover, once lodged in memory, misinformation is difficult to correct. Inoculation theory therefore offers a natural basis for developing a psychological ‘vaccine’ against the spread of fake news and misinformation. Specifically, in a series of randomized lab and field studies we show that it is possible to pre-emptively “immunize” people against disinformation by pre-exposing them to severely weakened doses of the techniques that underlie its production. This psychological process helps people cultivate cognitive antibodies in a simulated social media environment. During the talk, Professor Sander van der Linden will showcase an award-winning real-world intervention (“Bad News”) developed and empirically evaluated in 20 languages—with governments and social media companies—to help citizens around the world recognize and resist unwanted attempts to influence and mislead.

2 Likes

Isn’t this the kind of babble that gets psychology a bad name.
Or maybe we should regard it as more of an insight into psychobabble as vaccination’s plan B for when the numbers go awry.

Look forward to your update!

I get the impression that the direction of research goes like this: Gov says “internet bad”. Researchers say “let’s research how bad the internet is and see if anyone will fund it…” - the rest isn’t hard to guess especially when intimately aware of how skint A Certain University is.

By the same logic one of three ‘Signature Research Themes’ is

Future Human “will explore the use of science and technology for human enhancement. Only a true transdisciplinary approach can fully understand the opportunities, limits, challenges, and risks of using scientific and technological advancement to restore or improve performance/function and overcome current limits of body and mind.”

Which isn’t even slightly sinister.

1 Like