5 Filters

This seems like a good summary of the denialist case

“Not wishing to fall foul of the mods, I entirely agree with Rob.”

Whether it troubles the moderators or not, why is it chilling. Some might say that believing you can judge other people’s priorities on the basis of some forum chat that you don’t like is problematic, as is pulling out the ‘police state’ as a kybosh in lieu of discussion. If the police state is going to arise during a bit of chat, then the ‘chilling’ state is already here - it’s just a non sequitur surely.

@Evvy_dense Forgive me for being a little thick, but I’m not sure what you are saying. So what I’ll do is clarify my comments.

I interpreted @RobG’s comment like this. There has been a lot of discussion in a thread about Corona virus “denialists”, discussing one person’s feelings of being “gaslighted”. I am not dismissing the validity of those feelings at all. However, unless the “gaslighter(s)” can be identified, the topic of the thread has been completely derailed. The whole issue of Corona virus has been used to enforce unprecedented police and state powers and control populations. Where ever one stands on the Corona debate, this issue must rate as the one that warrants urgent and rigorous debate. I was agreeing with Rob that sidelining an issue which is and will continue to affect the lives of probably the entire world population, for the sake of one individual is frightening.

It was Ivor Cummings and thanks for the reminder. As I recall, he said total deaths were higher than normal, however, the previous year was lower than normal. Cummings gave a figure (based on countries totalling 360 million), of 140,000 deaths in 2018. The same figure for 2020 was 180,000 and “… not much difference”. However, he also pointed out that 2019 had a “very soft” flu season, meaning less deaths than normal, leaving many more old and vulnerable people susceptible in 2020.

He also went on to say that 2020 was better than the year 2000. As an aside, that was the year planes would be falling from the sky because of the date! Sadly what he didn’t say was if we averaged 2019 and 2020, what the figure would have been. From my reading of the graphs, there would have been little if any discernable difference between the average and 2018. In fact completely in line with the previous 5 years.

1 Like

Ok, you’ve given me loads to think about there. I’ll go and do that :thinking:

I’ll see if I can dig out the data, and maybe even generate these averages. Could be very interesting.

Cheers
PP

Thanks for the response PatB. I meant the police state isn’t going to arise because two people chat for a day on a forum.
Is someone telling people to “grow a pair” because they find their conversation “chilling” not just elevating their own feelings? The thread of the Fuellmich case wasn’t derailed, it continued - it was the discussion you and RobG complain about that was derailed by the insults.
Perhaps you missed the deleted part of the post but claiming urgency on a discussion board isn’t a great excuse for aggression towards each other, there’s plenty of room for everyone to discuss what they want to and we’re hoping to keep discussions less personal. Cheers

You’re right. I did miss it. And we agree on this