5 Filters

That Graham Hancock? He's a bad 'un . .

Having only watched two episodes it feels a bit early to offer a view on the Graham Hancock show on Netflix entitled Ancient Apocalypse. That is quite probably at least one episode more than the author of this Graudian hit-piece:

(Link is to web archive rather than the poisonous web page itself.)

Myths (or as Hancock has already posited in the couple of shows I’ve seen) folk memories about a Great Flood could undermine ideas of climate change being unique to the current era. If such inundations are evidence of the waxing and waning of gigantic forces and energies, and not necessarily solely attributable to walking-deniers like me driving a petrol-powered car, that makes the New Green Agenda somewhat hyperbolic, perhaps?

As the phrase goes: I’m just spitballing here. And perhaps that is all Hancock does too.

Dangerous nonconformists must be denied free speech because, um, just reasons.

2 Likes

Every presentation that I’ve ever seen Graham make seems eminently credible to me. It all fits together persuasively. And yes, he has a lot to say about sudden considerable variations in climate. In particular, he posits two relatively recent hits from large fragments of a broken-up comet-core (which the Earth still encounters regularly, btw) that respectively kicked-off, and then terminated, the Younger Dryas episode.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of the guy (very unfortunate surname) but I’m definitely going to make this on a must watch!

3 Likes

Netflix’s Ancient Apocalypse is the best case for publicly funded TV yet

Graham Hancock’s new Netflix documentary, about an advanced ancient civilisation that was wiped off the face of the Earth, has been accused by scientists and reviewers of espousing a ‘dangerous’ conspiracy theory. The value of the UK’s independently regulated broadcasters has never seemed clearer in comparison, writes [Louis Chilton]
(Louis Chilton | The Independent)
Netflix’s Ancient Apocalypse is the best case for publicly funded TV yet | The Independent

The Independent loudly sniffs that - presumably due to some error or something - we don’t control Netflix. We need ‘public service broadcasting’ to control what the masses are watching. Why, “scientists” and “reviewers” say it’s dangerous!
Meaning - we need public service broadcasting, that is controlled by private interests.
Sounds like what the BBC was set up for. The article tries to appeal to pro-censorship liberals and lefties - even the BBC, it says, has been accused of being right wing in recent years.
Lol - is this 1922-2022? Perhaps there’s an award in the offing.
The Indy, not wanting to reveal its own colours perhaps, gives the ‘right wing’ example of … accusations by transgender activists. Not like, wars that the BBC cheered that it also supported, or anything like that.
(Note to self - read more Indy Bond movie reviews).

It’s better disguised than the Guardian article - it tries hard to obscure its purpose, but can’t help racing to a cllimax near the end. One for the connoisseur.

ED

Netflix’s Ancient Apocalypse is the best case for publicly funded TV yet

Graham Hancock’s new Netflix documentary, about an advanced ancient civilisation that was wiped off the face of the Earth, has been accused by scientists and reviewers of espousing a ‘dangerous’ conspiracy theory. The value of the UK’s independently regulated broadcasters has never seemed clearer in comparison, writes Louis Chilton

Saturday 26 November 2022 06:30

Graham Hancock, host of the controversial documentary programme ‘Ancient Apocalypse’

(Netflix)Bottom of Form

There are two very different sides to Netflix. On the one hand, there’s the glitz: the prestige-laden films by venerated directors (Roma; The Irishman; The Power of the Dog). The glossy hit series like Stranger Things or Squid Game. But then there’s the other stuff. Just as crucial to Netflix’s business model – perhaps more crucial – is the streamer’s extensive catalogue of less reputable material. From salacious true crime docs to paranormal investigation series, Netflix is teeming with programmes that fall somewhere between being knowingly pulpy and outright schlock. In a climate where new streaming services seem to launch every few months, adding to the competition and cutting into Netflix’s non-original content catalogue, it’s natural that Netflix would turn to whatever gets people watching. So when a programme like Ancient Apocalypse drops on the streaming service, you might be inclined to think it’s all just business as usual.

But that’s not necessarily the case. Ancient Apocalypse, a documentary hosted by the writer and repeat guest on Joe Rogan’s podcast Graham Hancock, centres on Hancock’s own spuriously substantiated theories about the existence of an advanced Ice-Age civilisation that was wiped off the face of the Earth by comets and a mighty flood roughly 12,000 years ago. Experts have branded the subject a pseudoscientific conspiracy theory; much of the programme follows Hancock’s own fruitless efforts to be taken seriously by the archaeological establishment. The Guardian branded the series “the most dangerous show on Netflix”, while historian Greg Jenner referred to it as “absolute nonsense which fails at the most basic level to present convincing evidence” – and yet the series has sat in Netflix’s Top 10 list for several days, currently resting at No 7 across all of film and TV at the time of writing. The documentary has raised concerns over Netflix’s own complicity in disseminating dubious or misleading information. More than this, however, it has made a compelling case for the value of the UK’s publicly owned broadcasters.

With the BBC and Channel 4 increasingly under threat from a hostile government, the very future of public broadcasting remains uncertain. Calls to abolish the licence fee seem to grow louder every year and plans to privatise Channel 4 are already in place. The rise of streaming services has cast doubt on the inherent value of the Beeb; it has struggled to compete with the sheer scale and reach of Netflix or Disney Plus. But as Ancient Apocalypse has shown, the BBC has something that Netflix sorely lacks: accountability.

The question of accountability extends beyond Ancient Apocalypse, of course. Whether it’s a drama series about Jeffrey Dahmer condemned as “exploitative” by the serial killer’s victims’ families, or polarising stand-up specials featuring offensive jokes about the Holocaust or trans people, Netflix has thrown itself into controversy with gusto, time after time. But who is holding it accountable for these decisions? As a streaming service, Netflix isn’t even subject to the same regulations that regular UK TV channels are: when viewers are offended by something on traditional TV, they can always complain to the broadcasting regulator Ofcom. Because Netflix is based in the Netherlands, it falls outside of Ofcom’s jurisdiction. (Ofcom suggests that people with grievances either contact Netflix directly or get in touch with the Dutch Media Authority, the Commissariaat voor de Media – but these avenues seem less likely to yield any kind of material change, as opposed to Ofcom, which is both domestic and independent.) Netflix too often seems to operate under the amoral ethos of the free market: if people will watch it, that’s reason enough to make it.

That’s not to say that the BBC and Channel 4 are completely without sin, of course. The BBC – in particular, BBC News – has been criticised for a perceived right-wing political bias in recent years; its handling of transgender issues has been condemned by LGBT+ rights activists on multiple occasions. Channel 4, meanwhile, has earned a bit of a reputation for tasteless stunt commissions, such as the recent cancel culture debate programme Jimmy Carr Destroys Art. It’s worth noting that Hancock previously presented two Channel 4 documentaries espousing his controversial pseudoarchaeological theories, 1998’s Quest for the Lost Civilisation and 2002’s Underworld: Flooded Kingdoms of the Ice Age. Two decades is a long time, however – it’s hard to imagine the current iteration of Channel 4 platforming this kind of thing uncritically.

The BBC, meanwhile, scrutinised one of Hancock’s theories in the 1999 Horizon episode “Atlantis Reborn”, prompting Hancock and his Belgian collaborator Robert Bauval to complain to the Broadcasting Standards Commission. The organisation ruled in favour of the BBC, with one caveat – that Horizon had unfairly omitted one aspect of Hancock’s argument. The following year, a revised episode, titled “Atlantis Reborn Again”, was broadcast, featuring augmented counterarguments from Hancock and Bauval. In this incident, we can see the benefits of the BBC’s process laid out clearly and simply: rigorous and transparent accountability, both to the documentary’s subjects and to the viewing public.

There is, clearly, a burgeoning market for conspiracy theories: one need only look at the popularity of Rogan’s podcast (which has regularly seen guests promote false information and conspiracy theories, leading to a high-profile boycott of the podcast’s distributor, Spotify, earlier this year), or Russell Brand’s YouTube channel (in which he promulgates outlandish theories on everything from vaccines to the Russia-Ukraine war), to see that’s the case. Perhaps Netflix jumping on the pseudoscience bandwagon was an inevitability. But it’s a stark reminder of exactly what’s being lost in television’s pivot to privately owned streaming services. It’s an issue that’s threatening to swallow social media platforms whole, too: how exactly the spread of (mis-)information is regulated. Modern companies must start drawing from the lessons of the past – it might help to understand why the BBC has lasted as long as it has.

1 Like

Yes I’m a big fan and K…this is not a “Climate Event” as we commonly understand it now, Warlow and Velikovsky (Warlow in his excellent book, “The Reversing Earth” which I cannot recommend highly enough), posit the notion that it was the migration of Venus from the outer to the inner solar system that precipitated (ha) the Flood…Warlow’s book details the evidence…imagine a sphere (the Earth), spinning in space…then imagine it being effected by a large gravitational event (such as the close approach of a migrating planet), such that there is insufficient energy to effect the Earth’s solar orbit but enough to cause the Earth to invert itself and , therefore, start spinning in (apparently), the opposite direction than before…references to such an event occur in many cultures (the Egyptians specifically tell of how they weren’t flooded at the time), and in the Bible… in “Signs in the Sky” we might see how it was that when the (paraphr.); “heavens span but one star remained unmoved” according to the Egyptians, that Egypt was, relatively, unaffected by the Flood. This would indicate that the Nile Delta (et.al), was at the foci of the earth’s inversion making their position relatively unmoved and unaffected…Hence the Pyramids…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p098khk6 "The Nine Thousand Year Old City

Nina wonders at the age of the site of Çatalhöyük, the ‘World’s Oldest City’."

Gobekli Stone

&

"Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?

Predating Stonehenge by 6,000 years, Turkey’s stunning Gobekli Tepe upends the conventional view of the rise of civilization"

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gobekli-tepe-the-worlds-first-temple-83613665/

Nb. Planetary migration is now a hot topic in conventional astronomy…will this be a case (as it was with the notion of inter-breeding by hominid species), that conventional scientists (Dr. Alice Roberts), will come along and use DNA profiling as “evidential” ignoring all the great writers (such as Lyall Watson -esp.-, in this regard), who sceptical conventional researchers loudly “poo-pooed” before and proclaim, shock horror, “Venus may have migrated into the inner-solar system”? Insensate, self-regarding, pompous, dangerous a**eholes…

1 Like

Planetary migration may be less certainly reality based. But Göbekli Tepe has concrete, inyerface physical evidence that can’t be ignored. That alone vindicates Graham’s thesis about at least one ancient civilisation. And some of the large landscape structures in the central US also vindicate, with the very clear geological signatures, his idea of a large meltwater pulse sweeping southwards from the melting NAmerican ice-sheet. which gave rise to the legends of The Flood, to a catastrophic and sudden sea-level rise, and to the overwhelming of the proposed ancient civilisation - the swamping of Atlantis legend - wherever Atlantis might have been.

“Dangerous nonconformists must be denied free speech because, um, just reasons.” Which, as it always has, just makes us appear that much more credible…

3 Likes

Well, look at recent conventional research into planetary migration, they don’t think its; “less reality based” (euphamisms Rhis?)!

Oh my giddy aunt . . . he appeared on Joe Rogan. If only I’d realised before I watched episode three last night. I seem to have woken up still believing that the earth is spherical, roughly. Which is covered perfectly accurately and with nary a word about Lee Harvey Oswald in a discussion about precession, in that very episode. This discusses Lenie Reedijk’s hypothesis that alignment with Sirius might have been the reason why the Maltese megalithic temples (but not Ggantija, excuse spelling) face in subtly different directions. Because Sirius gradually appears in a different position in the sky due to precession.

This is not permitted science, for reasons such as the Real Archaeologists agreeing that the island was not occupied until many millennia later. Hancock suggests earlier inhabitants built the temples and that these are the only traces they left behind. The later settlers made up stories to say giants built them. (A mythic theme known the world over, pretty much.)

Reedijk helps lead a tour of the temples next spring equinox:

Other megalithomaniacs btw include such dangerous subversives as Timothy Darvill and Andrew Collins.

Picking up on a couple more points:

@GKH Hi Gerard. I got about a third of the way through the Peter Warlow book and was enjoying it, but I am easily distracted by the next shiny thing and/or library books that have to be returned within three weeks (e.g. the biography of Malcolm McLaren which turned up on the Reserved shelf today, a bargain at £1 for first dibs).

@Evvy_dense The Indy article ticks several orthodox checkboxes as it is also an online harms shriek piece with lashings of Hands Off Our BBC along with the plea for proper archaeology and none of this ley line nonsense. If only all telly was publicly funded we (okay not me) would be treated with more shows with Alice Roberts simpering prettily and always being sure to mention her Uni days plus sundry properly educated chaps who know full well that offending viewers is Just Not Done.

Transparent Accountability? Pull the other one.

Brief mention is made of Stranger Things. I watched the first two series and they were okay. There have been two more but I gather the third series had a very obvious Those Russians Are Evil theme so it seemed like a good time to dump it. But naturally, that is Drama, not propaganda. The notion that there is a parallel (or Upside Down) world and ruthless government agents that kill anyone who gets a whiff of it (while hunting a young female who escapes their MK-Ultra style laboratory) is Entertainment, not Conspiracy Theory.

2 Likes

Current hypotheses on planetary migration seem to concentrate on the early time in the formation of a star and its solar system, from the great discs of aboriginal gas and dust. It begins to seem likely that this is the pattern of solar-system formation: Always with a vast retinue of orbiting stuff, ranging from grains of sand to giant planets, which dodgem about in incalculably complex patterns, never entirely fixed in a single layout.

This may well have happened to Venus, perturbing the Earth big-time. But such things happening during the several-billion-year period of life on Earth seems a bit less likely to me. Where is the scrubbed-clean Earth in the geological record?

Sure, it’s likely that the Earth and the Moon were involved in a separation event at some time in their history; but pre-life, or after life had got going? Similar question around any migration by Venus.

I can’t see how anything living would survive such giant cataclysms, so it seems more likely that these things happened well before the quickening of the Earth. Which still leaves the long period of time of Ice Ages and interglacials, with the steady evolution of life-webs over all that time. No known episode of total life-scrubbing, as far as I’ve heard. But a distinct possibility of early human communities of which scant records remain. This is Graham’s thesis.

“I can’t see how anything living would survive such giant cataclysms” Apparently many did not…you know of the giant volcanic eruption that nearly wiped us out? The trouble is there is record of the event (from all over the world), but (much), later generations have simply either ignored or misinterpreted the record because the implications of literal interpretation are too disturbing. Read Warlow’s book (as K nearly has), I’ve recommended it so many times now…

P.S Pls. see: https://forum.5filters.info/t/for-gkh-and-others-who-may-find-it-interesting-fascinating-proposal/3633/2

Many 5filterers will probably have seen Off-Guardian’s rather droll counterpunch at the shriekers, but it’s worth adding the link here. It had me hooting out loud several times.

2 Likes