5 Filters

Human Rights Issues re: #Covid19. Why we Need a Moratorium on Benefit Re-assessments/Re-applications and Greater Attention Paid to the Needs of Claimants During Pandemic #Advocacy #InternetAccess #AccesstoTherapy #Lockdown #Eugenics

I’d like to find out…because even with limited experience I’d say the availability of these therapies has diminished…it’s become a neo-lib culture of brute maximisation of short term profit…fine they prescribed you an exercise regime but your home situation is inimical to proper practice because your basic needs are not being catered for…but they’ve done their job so smile and onto the next programmable automata…shame they keep breaking… When physicians stop considering human interaction to be the most important part of their practice you know that “time is short”.

Quote; "Those particularly impacted negatively by the pandemic, it says, include disabled people and those with long-term health conditions; black, Asian and minority ethnic groups; people living in deprived areas and poor housing; and older people.

But these are the groups who have largely been ignored in developing responses to the crisis, and as a result have been “further detrimentally impacted by it – in many cases fatally”"…

Disabled people with vast experience of social isolation could have made valuable contributions to ‘shielding’ policies and social care provision and yet typically were not invited to contribute to decision-making processes,”* it adds.

The collection of chapters by a range of authors, including leading disabled campaigners, calls for marginalised voices to be better heard through co-production.

In his chapter, Professor Peter Beresford, chair of Shaping Our Lives, compares the pandemic efforts of frontline NHS health workers with the “arbitrary and sweeping decisions” of senior NHS managers to “clear out thousands of older, long-term patients” into care homes and domiciliary services, which “then caused the infection to spread on a massive scale”.

He says that the NHS’s actions, which used “social care as a dustbin for COVID-19 casualties” were made “doubly dangerous and discriminatory by the appalling state of social care in England”."…“They say that the scale of the disproportionate impact of COVID-19 on disabled people –about three-fifths (59 per cent) of COVID-19-related deaths in England during the pandemic have been of disabled people – has “not been reflected in the response to the crisis”.*” Go to: Disabled people largely ignored in response to pandemic, says new book – Disability News Service for full article.

*Italics mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikUzvSph7Z4 Pls. see my comment…

I have mixed feelings about these sorts of strategies. I totally get the Four Noble Truths and my own quality of life has benefitted enormously from mind training.

It’s definitely true that the experience of stress, pain, unhappiness can be mitigated, in various ways (not excluding medical MJ as you commented on YT @GKH ).

…but this too easily becomes “it’s all in the mind, pull yourself together, be resilient, take up knitting, change your attitude, eat better, ride a bike…”.

Six sessions of CBT via Zoom and jobs a good 'un. Even that is only offered to folks who get past the gatekeeper. Someone I’m close to was refused therapy to help them remain abstinent because they refuse to follow Twelve Steps dogma… which has become tHe OnLY WaY to “cure” “alcoholics”.

Hurrah my chronic condition has gone away… is all part of the systemic narrative: strive, work, perform, and you too can be a millionaire. It’s just too convenient for the DWP victim-blaming approach to social problems… but that goes back centuries: the deserving poor had Parish Relief, everyone else had the Workhouse. People who opted to live in the woods were persecuted as vagrants.

1 Like

I keep making the point that if you are under-resourced and as a result struggle with basic domestic arrangements one does not live in an environment suitable for physio and “mindfull-ness”, if accessing such resources outside the home one must be mobile (and that need catered for), for some therapists of the ultra-modern school there is no need for support that produces conditions conducive to recovery…it’s all in your mind (which I suppose is right as there is little or nothing in theirs), we were dealing with “Boom and Bust” energy management problems this week…how does one tackle such when the provision of resources is “spotty” at best and financial insecurity is always made an issue by the state? Wellness and “wellbeing” are priceless…inverted economic model they use…it was called #trickledown and resulted in the demise of #society#Utilitarianism Oh it’s an issue alright #BoomandBust #WellbeingwithPersistentPain but I made the point that limited options #choice massively exacerbate the problem #NHS #Resources

Medicine informs the welfare state, here is just one example of how medicine is failing us, quote; “the vulnerable are being murdered (and don’t accuse me of exaggeration you arrogant know-nothing Gauleitiers), this is just one story from my own personal and local experience;
“Recently our friend Jose (Bitterne Triangle Southampton), was on the phone to one of us saying how he had been complaining to The Job Centre concerning the amount of stress that the “Job-Search” commitments (forced on him when he lost his Disability Living Allowance and failed in his application for so called “Personal Independence Payment”), were causing him (he had a heart condition), when he stopped abruptly mid-conversation, my other friend (who is clearly still in considerable shock), went to Jose’s house only to find him lying dead on the kitchen floor having suffered a fatal heart attack.
The Spaniard was a talented artist of the modernist school and a “known figure” around Portswood and Bitterne Southampton, where he had lived for years, walking his little dog (his only house companion), which has now lost its companion (“fascisti” old comrade “fascisti!”), Rest in Peace my friend.” Go to: http://www.arafel.co.uk/2016/08/the-roll-of-dead-deaths-at-hands-of.html” Go to: https://www.arafel.co.uk/2018/01/cio-cio-san-and-her-tail-of-woe-arafel_21.html

Paralympics: The Unfair Games?

“With the Tokyo Paralympic Games approaching, Panorama investigates the sport’s classification system. Designed to make competition between athletes with different disabilities fair, it is accused of being flawed, easily manipulated and lacking credibility. Former Paralympic athlete and coach Richie Powell says para-sport saved his life after he was injured in a motor cycle accident. But he retired as a wheelchair racer, disillusioned with a classification system that he says pitted athletes with different abilities against each other. In this film, he meets other former athletes, coaches and classifiers who share their experiences of Paralympic competition, hearing that Britain, the home of the Paralympic movement, should be the country that leads change.” Go to: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000wwdd/panorama-paralympics-the-unfair-games

Nb. Disingenuous Beeb it was the British Team Paralympic Coach leading the “win at all costs” charge! Duplicitous b*stards! See the programme…

How does this state-of-affairs come about I wonder? #MedicineInformstheWelfareState

“A “Strange-Love” Indeed?”

(I said this at the time of the London Olympics), quote; "Does it not seem both cruel and unusual that at a time when the rights of the disabled (and other-wise disadvantaged), in Britain and Europe are being challenged and eroded ,in ways which we have not seen being employed to accomplish the task since The Second World War, that the British can be seen (ostensibly), celebrating the degree of inclusion within their society and diversity of their culture? The “benefit scroungers” who claim Disability Living Allowance and Incapacity Benefit are being told “work will make you free” by a society that has received the gift of sight from the Olympic/Paralympic flame that has been burning so brightly above our capital city, it is surely no coincidence, however, that this Hitlerite symbol has obscured rather than illuminated the true nature of the regime that now attempts to control the thoughts and actions of the sheepish masses. “Tell a big lie and keep on telling it” was Goebbels’s creed, a creed expounded in order that the wider beliefs of the eugenicist group of people of which he was a member should both come to ascendancy and achieve the dominance that was their raison d’etre. Should it come as a surprise that the (again ostensibly), polarised debate about the true nature of evolution that so characterised the wars and conflicts (both national and international), of the twentieth century has lost it’s definition at the beginning of the twenty first? One feels that one should pose the question to our social science students (if they can find the time whilst avoiding the herds of pachyderms which now populate -through no fault of their own-, our academic institutions); "Did The Third Reich Continue or the Fourth Reich Commence? (discuss) . Is not the current “drive to inclusion” really nothing more than another expression of the eugenicist nature of our society? “It’s o.k they’re like us really, look there’s one balancing a ball on it’s nose!” is not the comment of one truly comfortable with their surroundings. It is surely only by reassuring ourselves by giving air-time to the patronising and condescending assertions of Dr. Goebbels that we can be “comfortable” with an economic system that allows an increasingly more privileged minority to continue to prosper at the expense of the most vulnerable. There are some that would claim that I am merely proselytising for a regime that would rather those with disabilities be kept “out of sight and out of mind”, but such could not be further from the truth for I believe that instead of the myopic, self-congratulatory and conceited attitudes we currently see displayed as “inclusive” and promoting of “diversity” (I like to play ultimate Frisbee difficult in a wheel-chair but far from impossible on prosthetic legs -as long as you keep them a fair length! -), both the disabled and able-bodied in our society should be subject to greater scrutiny, should we do so we may become aware of the serendipity that identifies the coincidence of the pitiful “apology” offered to the victims of Thalidomide treatment occurring during the good doctor’s Paralympic spectacle.

The privileged elite are prepared to allow the disabled to look like them they are not so prepared that the disabled should be like them. Opportunity and independence are not rights to be earned but gifts to be protected, no-one should have the right to say; “you are not free until you work for me”, that way leads to the gas-chambers and whilst the populace is distracted by this “bread” and these “circuses” one should perhaps recall just what it was that happened once Dr.Strangelove had declared; “mien Fuhrer I can walk!”" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so8NQficzZg

1 Like